Inch pound torque wrench - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Inch pound torque wrench

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
NJMike

Inch pound torque wrench

Anyone have experience with this torque wrench or know someone who has? I'm looking for some feedback. I'm considering picking one up for setting up pinion preload.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset

Unread 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm looking for one too. Same reason. I was wondering about Craftsman.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Dial torque wrenches are spendy bastids, but Proto has a good reputation for tools. Bear in mind you need a business license to buy from Grainger - they're not wholesale, but they are commercial only (last I recall - may have changed.)

Craftsman actually used to be made by Proto, so it would likely be equivalent. However, there's nothing wrong with getting a "beam-type" wrench and using that, especially since it will cost considerably less (and require far less frequent calibration - and calibration is usually a matter of bending the indicator beam back on track.) I'd suggest a dial wrench for a shop - where it's a tax write-off and you're going to be using it frequently - but the hobbyist would be better served with a beam wrench.
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When it comes to pinion set-ups I only use one with a dial. Mine has a needle that stays at the highest reading until reset. It has been am extremely nice feature when doing gears while the axle is still in the vehicle.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would buy that.

We got one for a job on heated alum for a solar panel company. Works real nice if you know things about threads and what your measuring. Worked great for us.
Unread 09-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just my expereince with Proto tools on jobs at work,mostly power plants..the Proto tools they supply are cheap,the crecent wrenches fall apart,ratchets don't last,wrenches bend and break,their sockets seem pretty good for the most part.Never used the their torque wrenches though.

Proto is just supposed to be the industrial side of Stanley tools..i didn't know that until about a month ago we had to have a training class on how to properly and safely use DeWalt and Proto tools..lol..yea i know.."whatta joke",,but anyhow..the Proto rep was there,,with Stanley clothes,hat etc on..and giving out "Stanley" stickers for lunchboxes,hard hats..etc etc...now i know why those Proto tools break easily..i'm just used to the old Snap-ons,Klein, etc etc..even those now a days are cheaply made.
The Quality of tools now a days are NOTHING compared to what they used to be.Too many corners being cut in the manufacturing of them to save a dime or 2.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I purchased a clicking style inch/lb TW from harbor freight for when I set my pinion preload and it worked fine. A needle style is better but I couldnt find one anywhere local and wanted to get it done that weekend. I new it was prolly going to be the only time I needed one and couldnt see spending a lot for something I would only need once in a blue moon. Comes with a decent case though....
Grainger might have one, I purchased a socket I needed for the pinion nut through them but never asked about the TW. They are in fact only commercial so just give them a company name thats in there system when they ask and pay with cash...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
NJMike

I went ahead and ordered it. I actually have an account with Grainger. A friend works there so he gave it to me at his discount price which was $150. Should be here in a day or so. I'll post how it works out.
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For that price, I'd be on Ebay buying a used Snap-On "Torqometer" dial type wrench and sending it off to get calibrated! I've seen the Snap-On's go for less than $75 with a case.

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.