Ideas/suggestions on custom console for TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Ideas/suggestions on custom console for TJ

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ideas/suggestions on custom console for TJ

Posting this to get some info on what I need material wise to make a custom center console for my TJ. First some background:
Planning on doing a 231/300 doubler underneath and since I have a UCF UHC Tummy tuck I am looking at going with the NorthWestern Fab cable shifters.
This means that I will be having 3 shifters and I am thinking have all 3 on the left side.
What I am initially looking for is:
1. Is this feasible to fit between the shifter (AX15) and the steering wheel or will it be too cramped(IOW anyone tried?) I emailed NWF today to get the dimensions. Alternative is 2 on one side and 1 on the other but I think that would ultimately end up being wider.
2. For the frame what should I use? I was thinking a 1" square tubing and what gauge (I was thinking 1/8") .
3. For the skin? 16g?
Thoughts/comments? Am I out of my mind?

Unread 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think your best bet is to just go ahead and put the shifters in place where you want them,mock everything up until its where you are comfortable with them.

Then start worrying about the console and design around everything..1"x1/8" square tube should be plenty.

16 gauge will be good also,but remeber the lighter the gauge ,the harder it is to weld without blowing holes and a bunch of warpage,so it can depend on the experince you have in doing it.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks,I am figuring for the sides where it is in front of the seats would be a cover that would be removable but the back would solid. I have experience is welding thinner materials especially to old rusty steel
I will keep that in mind.
Makes sense. I think also since I don't have the shifters yet I should see how they are especially depth wise, I may have to adjust everything on how they would sit.
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting, this isn't showing up in my replies section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.