I want to weld! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I want to weld!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
vinny147
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I want to weld!

I have no experience welding but I really would like to learn how to. Ive done some looking around for a welder and my research as told me a MIG welder would be the best for a beginner. Does that sounds right to you guys? As how power of the MIG I am not sure...
Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

vinny147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
angelsfanbp
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on what your welding. I'm in no way a pro but know enough to get by. Harbor Freight has some cheap welders that you can learn with and build your own brackets etc. I have welding a good utility trailer with a $89 Harbor Freight 110v welder and the trailer is a beast! It has been on several off roading trips. Do your homework and get one for your needs.
angelsfanbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
vinny147
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I will be doing nothing major. I want to learn with this and learn to do some body work etc..
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

220 V 180 - 210 amp should do just about anything you can think of on a jeep. Anything Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart are safe bets.

For body work, a 110 unit will work, but they're less efficient and if you choose to do more, it is limited.

Have a Lincoln 180T right now and can't say enough good things about it. It has already payed for itself about four times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
vinny147
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Are there any cheaper options bc last thing I would wanna do is end up not wanting to do it and be out that much money...
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I picked mine up on craiglist for 450. Pretty good deal. Never plugged in with some extra consumables and wire. Just look everyday and you'll sure to find one. Also I know the same unit I have, the older models have been on ebay for just over 500 with free shipping.

Also, I chose to go ahead and buy a decent 100 dollar auto dimming helmet. It was nice to begin with, but it died on me the other day, so I picked up a lincoln fixed shade with a nice big window. Way better IMHO. So 70 dollars right there. I see nice 110V units on craigslist a lot, just gotta ask yourself what you're ultimately going to want to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Props on trying to learn! it is an awesome skill. I'm by no means an expert but I will give you my experience. I've owned the small HF style stick welder and two lincoln migs. One 110v and (my current one 220v 175). I will say that doing body work takes some practice due to some of it being so thin. I have found that welding thicker stock is easier to learn on and less frustrating.

If it were me, I would cruise CL for a 220 Volt version mig. I paid 450 for mine new. That way if you don't like it, you can just resell it. I don't have a 220v in my shop (loose term for car port) so I made an extension cord and use the dryer plug.

Other suggestions - invest in a decent auto darkening helmet, it will make learning easier and is safer. read up on the safety aspects. Hit up youtube for some vids. Then - just jump in and do the damn thang.

Good luck man!
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
macguyinnc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My suggestion would be to hit up your local community college. Many of them have classes on welding.
macguyinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguyinnc View Post
My suggestion would be to hit up your local community college. Many of them have classes on welding.
x2 on this not only will they have lots of nice equipment to get you started. A few hundred bucks to learn how to do it right and not pick up bad habits from the start is worth it. Like all things its about practice having lots of scrap to work with is the way to go.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

You can get a new, cheaper end Hobart for $450ish IIRC. I have a Hobart and I love it.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
tdkask

By all means get a 220v version... buy it good used (craigslist?) and if you decide to sell it you get your money back. I have a 110v MIG and "get by" for slaller stuff, but have to use a buddy's for anything too structural, and even when doing small stuff I like his better... Just does a nicer job and better welds. Until I used his welder, I thought I just sucked at it, but a better welder makes better welds... not that ANY welder can make me look like an artist.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.