I want an oxy/fuel torch. Recommendations and Costs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I want an oxy/fuel torch. Recommendations and Costs?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

Kettles
That is most likely correct

bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I bought a new randor setup from airgas (made by victor), and I ordered some LP tips, they were out of stock. Now I also just ordered a tank adapter (western #51 because the fuel regulator is a cga 300, instead of 510) for a couple of bucks. And I need to get an oxygen tank, which I will probably get when the tips come in, if I have enough money.

$200 for a 80CF tank (outright) or 75 a year lease on any larger tank, with a $200 deposit, or $175 for 5 years, no deposit.

I only have $160 right now

Haha, was browsing around the place I ordered the adapter. I could buy an 80cf oxygen tank for $145 (185 full, but its only like $14 for airgas to fill it). Not sure if I want bigger though..
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

Last edited by Kettles; 07-12-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, well my dad is being awesome and said he would buy me an oxygen tank. SO naturally I am going to take up his offer, because that doesn't come along all that often.

But I have been split on what I should do. I dont know if a 80cf oxygen tank will be adequate for me. I have no idea how long it lasts, and I have been trying to figure out a rough number of like cf per minute it would consume, or how many inches i could cut or something like that, any kind of number or testimonial. I just dont want an 80cf tank to only last an hour of cutting or something, and then I be like, wow.. I wish I had rented a big ol tank instead.

SO someone tell me an 80cf tank will be fine for light use cutting with propane on metals 1/4" and less, and ill be happy.
Thanks!

BTW I know that the tip size would make a huge difference in oxygen consumption..
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Did you get the RAD 64003004 torch set? Out here in CA. their on sale for $199.99, what did you pay?
An 80 cf cyl will give you a decent amount of cutting time and it's easier to handle than the larger ones.

I understand on the east coast you can't buy larger cylinders, you must rent, is that correct? Here on the west coast, we can buy any size, if you can't buy, that sucks.

At Airgas you can always "buy up" to a larger cylinder if need be, just pay the difference of the two cyls. My Airgas gives you 1/2 price on gas the first time, when you purchase the cylinder.
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I got that torch set for 199.99 (retail 350), I guess its a nationwide sale.

Yeah I can't buy bigger than 80cf from airgas. I dont know about other places, but airgas is the most convenient for me to get too. I don't want bigger than 125 because I need to beable to easily transport it in the jeep. I am used to rolling the bigger tanks around the weld school, but they are way to impractical for me. I know the 80s are easy to move around, and fit in the jeep nicely, I have one for my mig.

I know about buying up, but I can't buy up if I have the biggest I can buy, lol. Of course they might take an 80cf tank as a downpayment for a rental if I wanted bigger.

Im pretty sure Ill just go in monday and buy the 80cf tank.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bought a tank. Hooked up the grill propane, and ran some test cuts on 3/16". Works pretty good, now I just need to learn how to set the propane flame right. I know how to get a good feather with acetylene, but propane doesnt feather like that. Google...
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

Oxy/acetylene torch purchase.

Buy quality and you will have equipment that will last a lifetime.
The Victor Journeyman torch set is a good standard to go with.
Bite the bullet and get at least the medium size oxy and acetylene
Tanks. While you are at it get a decent welding cart with large wheels
to carry all your Oxy/Acetylene gear. This is not a small or cheap
purchase but after the buy you will be set from here on out. This gear
will last you forever.
One last word of advice,DoNot loan that stuff out. It will become junk
Instantly and then you can buy it again because your so called friends
who damage it won't.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Buy quality and you will have equipment that will last a lifetime.
The Victor Journeyman torch set is a good standard to go with.
Bite the bullet and get at least the medium size oxy and acetylene
Tanks. While you are at it get a decent welding cart with large wheels
to carry all your Oxy/Acetylene gear. This is not a small or cheap
purchase but after the buy you will be set from here on out. This gear
will last you forever.
One last word of advice,DoNot loan that stuff out. It will become junk
Instantly and then you can buy it again because your so called friends
who damage it won't.
Thanks for reading the thread so closely to give relevant information to my situation ...
I dont mean offense by that, but next time atleast skim the thread so you know what has been said, and what has been done already.

I bought an 80cf oxygen tank, a victor torch set, some grade T hoses, LP tips, and a cga 300 to cga 510 adapter.

I also threw together a cart yesterday from some rusty dirty scrap I had on hand, some twisted square, and some threaded rod, and some harbor freight wheels. Its not the fanciest cart, but it works.

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kettles; 07-28-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
MontanaCJ5
1974 CJ5 

I know you got your torch already, but I have been researching the same thing. I've decided to go with...

Smith MTA-30510 American Classic Medium Duty Combination Torch Outfit

Looks like even Victor is now made in China and Mexico, so I ruled them out. Next I'll get a cart and tanks.
MontanaCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaCJ5 View Post
I know you got your torch already, but I have been researching the same thing. I've decided to go with...

Smith MTA-30510 American Classic Medium Duty Combination Torch Outfit

Looks like even Victor is now made in China and Mexico, so I ruled them out. Next I'll get a cart and tanks.
We use the Victor and Smith torch heads at work day in,day out,really no difference in the quality at all,i have 3 Victor heads at home,one i keep for myself when i travel working because alot of companies will have JUNK to work with but want quality work on cuts .

Kettle,don't know if you have one already or not,but a "wash tip" is a handy tip to have around for washing out welds and gouging where needed

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #26
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

Ironworker709 do they make a propane wash tip just wondering I had not seen one but I have not looked maybe you had need to get out my Victor book I guess. If they don't that would be a good reason to have a bottle of Acet. wash tip are very handy I have a straight torch with a bent wash tip in my machine I use it all the time. I will look it up

Answered my own question they do make propane washing tips learned something new

Last edited by bryanm; 07-30-2010 at 10:28 PM..
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Never heard of a wash tip, Ill have to look into it.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
oxy , oxy/fuel , recommendation , torch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.