I want an oxy/fuel torch. Recommendations and Costs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I want an oxy/fuel torch. Recommendations and Costs?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I want an oxy/fuel torch. Recommendations and Costs?

OK, so as the title says I could use an oxy-fuel torch. I need it primarily for cutting, but preheat uses for welding, and heating for bending and such are other important needs.

I have no idea how much money I need to have saved to get what I want. I know lowes and home depot have their little portable torch setups with the little tanks for around 300, but I am worried that the oxygen wont last very long at all. I know the acetylene will last longer but I don't know by how much.

I also wouldn't mind an oxy/propane setup. The propane setup burns cooler, but I hear is great for cutting, which is my primary need. Propane is more readily available to me anyway. I know I would need a propane tip.

Obviously the bigger the oxygen tank the longer it will last, but I would like some degree of portability so what is a good sized tank for home and small fab uses. If/when I get more serious and more room Ill get a bigger setup.

What do you pros and amateurs recommend, and what will it cost me? I could bumble into airgas and start asking, but I would like some suggestions from you all first.

And yes I have used oxy/acetylene torches and am pretty good with them. If I could remotely afford it I would get a plasma.. but I dont have the money.. And I would need a air-compressor (which I do need anyway).

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I use the propane/oxygen set-up. It is alot cheaper than any other application, and unless you are going to use it all the time, it works great. My local weld shop suggested it due to the price of tanks. I bought my gauges and torch for about $100. Then I went to a local tank refurbishing company and bought 2 oxygen tanks for $100. When I am ready to cut something, I take the tank off my grill and away I go. It takes, I think, 4 more seconds for the propane to get to temp.
Unread 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
I use the propane/oxygen set-up. It is alot cheaper than any other application, and unless you are going to use it all the time, it works great. My local weld shop suggested it due to the price of tanks. I bought my gauges and torch for about $100. Then I went to a local tank refurbishing company and bought 2 oxygen tanks for $100. When I am ready to cut something, I take the tank off my grill and away I go. It takes, I think, 4 more seconds for the propane to get to temp.
That is sounding good to me.

Now your from Louisville too so any specifics on where you got your stuff?

I know what my 80cf argon tank costs to fill, whats oxygen cost to fill here?
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Both of you should check out our club! We have members from Louisville and surrounding areas. All over the state actually....
Now back on topic. I recently bought an oxy acetylene setup. The whole setup was 700.00. Thats the tanks, regulaters, hose, & torch kit. I opted to buy the tanks due to the long haul cost of leasing. I love the setup and now don't know how i ever got around without it.

Mitch
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I get all my tanks filled at Welding Therapy on Crittenden Dr. To get tanks for cheap, you can go to the Brooks exit and take a right at the end of the ramp. Go over the railroad tracks and take a left at the sign or light and look for the little building on the right and it will have a bunch of tanks sitting outside. You can buy your tanks there for a little of nothing. They actually provide Welding Therapy with their tanks. Good luck.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
I get all my tanks filled at Welding Therapy on Crittenden Dr. To get tanks for cheap, you can go to the Brooks exit and take a right at the end of the ramp. Go over the railroad tracks and take a left at the sign or light and look for the little building on the right and it will have a bunch of tanks sitting outside. You can buy your tanks there for a little of nothing. They actually provide Welding Therapy with their tanks. Good luck.
hmm.. I am having trouble figuring out where this is? I can't figure out what is the brooks exit is, sorry. But thanks for your help!

Any suggestion on tank size?
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I couldn't tell you the size. It's about armpit high if that helps.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

DHC 2000 Welding and Cutting Torch $369 shipped 803.429.2545

Discuss .
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
I have seen that before, but I would suspect its pretty cuts are more a result of skilled user, than anything else. But I tend to be a skeptic.
Although it is already an injector torch, so it should be up for propane, lol. I wonder if you ran an injector tip on a normal torch, if it would be more similar to the henrob.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know people who have used the Henrob torch, and the one thing the ads don't tell you, is that it is heavy, at least compared to a regular welding torch. I know a guy who welded up most or all of his tube fuselage with one, and then later upgraded to the Meco Midget, which is much smaller and lighter. That makes it easier to handle, less fatiguing to use, and it can weld in tight corners better. It's size won't affect the thickness of material you can weld, since that is controlled by the size of the tip. For cutting I would recommend a standard cutting torch, you will probably find that they are easier to hold when making cuts than the Henrob.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
I know people who have used the Henrob torch, and the one thing the ads don't tell you, is that it is heavy, at least compared to a regular welding torch. I know a guy who welded up most or all of his tube fuselage with one, and then later upgraded to the Meco Midget, which is much smaller and lighter. That makes it easier to handle, less fatiguing to use, and it can weld in tight corners better. It's size won't affect the thickness of material you can weld, since that is controlled by the size of the tip. For cutting I would recommend a standard cutting torch, you will probably find that they are easier to hold when making cuts than the Henrob.
Yeah I was just thinking about that. I can use the gas tubes on a normal torch as a slide along my left hand to make nice smooth cuts. I dont have a very steady hand, so when I weld and cut and everything I like to be able to brace myself as much as possible.

And I am not looking for an oxy fuel welding setup, so cutting is the main deal.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

You can't go wrong with Victor small or large cutting torch. I like MECO Regulators as inside they have a seat block that you can change by rotating the block if it starts bleeding up in the field.
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think I am just going to go into airgas and see what they have, and what it will cost. I have no idea what the stuff goes for new. I know what people ask for a used set on craigslist, but most of them are off brands, and I feel they are over asking.

Plus I like getting new stuff. So. I know Victor Smith and Harris... and I know I can get LP tips easily for all 3. I assume airgas will carry atleast one of them.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

I you want to go LP I would check out the large tip Victor Don't know about KY but my are tips are much cheaper for the victor torches
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm View Post
I you want to go LP I would check out the large tip Victor Don't know about KY but my are tips are much cheaper for the victor torches
I dont know what they have at the stores, but I can get the LP tips online for the major brands for about the same price across the board, depending where you look. Although locally I am sure victor stuff is easier to find.

I went to airgas, they aren't open on the weekends, so I headed to welders supply co., but they closed 20 mintues before I got there.. so ill try again monday.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
oxy , oxy/fuel , recommendation , torch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.