i wanna make some stuff, and i need a shopping list!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > i wanna make some stuff, and i need a shopping list!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
OldSkull
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
The only REAL difference is the way it is measured, a 2" TUBE is measured 2" outside to outside....
A 2" PIPE is measured 2" from inside to inside edge.

Most people don't know much about how strong pipe really is for the fact the popularity of using just TUBE for jeeps and 4x4's because it's a little easier to measure for simpe fabrication for the hobbiest.

You can get DOM tubing AND pipe..
You can get welded seam tubing AND pipe..
You can get chromolly in both...

Any process of tubing made is also made in pipe.

In the past 30+ years i've been an ironworker i've welded..fabricated and put up PIPE being used for structural purposes on bridges..power plants..buildings..etc etc designed by some of the BEST engineers in the world..it just all depends on the availability and price of which they decide to use.

If you want to get technical,,a 2" PIPE is stronger than a 2" TUBE made of the same material and process..pipe has the larger diameter than the tube....

I made both my bumpers from schedule 40 2" PIPE...i've YANKED HARD on them pulling myself and other vehicles out of mud holes..SLAMMED into trees and river rocks with them...and recently rolled my jeep on it's side when i hit a tree so hard it flipped it from the front bumper hitting the tree..and to this day they have no kinks or bends in them,just several different coats of paint from the abuse..lol

You can get PIPE dies for the same benders used for tubing and vise versa

Ironworker709 is correct in many ways....

I feel the need to add my 2 cents because I have read several posts about pipe vs. tube. I personally would use tube for things like roll bars, but pipe is definitely okay for a bumper. for one reason, you are going to need a larger quantity of tube for a roll bar so you are not likely to use scrap. For a bumper, you only need a small amount and scrap is a likely choice. Either one is going to bend if you hit something hard enough. You'll probably bend the frame first anyways. The strength to weight ratio for tube is better so the more you use, the more weight you save. And if you are going to use it to save your life in a roll, get the tube.

...and pipe is a stuctural shape. I specify sch 40 pipe for columns all the time in my designs...I'm a Structural Engineer.

Unread 07-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #17
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've used Sch40 pipe (1 1/4") for exo cage stuff before. It held up well.

Couple things that turn me off to using it for cage work... the mill scale makes it rougher looking (read ugly) than tube and the thicker wall thickness makes it heavier.

I've actually bent 1 1/4" Sch40 in a 1.75" tube die.. it works pretty good up to about 90deg bends with only minor "flattening" in the radius.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks so much guys, i think im gonna go take a few classes at the local community college and then just go from there. thanks again esp to iron and besrk

Tags
bumper , pipe , tire carrier , tube , welder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.