i wanna make some stuff, and i need a shopping list!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > i wanna make some stuff, and i need a shopping list!!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i wanna make some stuff, and i need a shopping list!!!

So im gonna make a Hardtop Lift, Front Bumper, Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, rock guard side steps, maybe a few other items.

my question is this....

what kind of welder should i get, not the brand, but more of the specs.
ive already found a decent pipe bender.
and what kind of steel would yall use for the front bumper, and rear bumper, and what kind of pipe for the front bumper and the side steps. also what kind of square steel would yall use for the swing out tire carrier.....

thanks in advance guys

j33p4l1fe4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
casperbrown
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i used schedule 40 pipe for my bumper and it held up amazing so far against rocks, trees dirt etc.
the welder is all about the $$ your willing to spend and what kind of power you have access to. i fabricated mine with an old lincoln stick welder and for my first welding project im happy with how it came out.
your rock rails youll probably want to go with a thicker walled pipe due to impact possibilities. research trial and error.... the way of the fabricator lol
casperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lincoln K2790-1 Inverter Arc 230 stick welder, would that work well for building a bumper and stuff? sorry ive never welded, i wanna learn, and i dont wanna spend alot of money just in case it doesnt work out. i can get that one for about 300. do you or anyone else reading this know of a good stick welder at a cheaper cost?
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

please don't use pipe to make anything. Pipe has it's purpose, But it is not on a jeep. Tubing is pretty cheap and a much better choice.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
please don't use pipe to make anything. Pipe has it's purpose, But it is not on a jeep.
^^^^^ listen to the man!! and there is a difference between tubing benders and pipe benders, YOU WANT TUBING!!!
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what the difference in pipe and tube, sorry if its a stupid question, but i do need to be edumacated!!!
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

pipe is designed to have stuff inside it (air, water....), tube is built for structural strength. I know theres more to it but thats the quick answer.

The best way to get "edjumakated" is to search and read this forum.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ya i spent the last few days reading up on stuff on here, i love the site, when i get payed on the 1st i plan to become an official member.

but anyways another question, would a 100amp arc welder work well for what i wanna make

heres the specs on the one i was lookin at...

# 110V,Single Phase
# No Load Voltage: 48V
# Current Range 45-100 Amp
# Rated Duty: 10%
# Insulation Class: H
# Usable Electrodes:.1/16" to 3/32"
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33p4l1fe4x4 View Post
ya i spent the last few days reading up on stuff on here, i love the site, when i get payed on the 1st i plan to become an official member.

but anyways another question, would a 100amp arc welder work well for what i wanna make

# 110V,Single Phase
I HIGHLY recommended taking a welding course at a local community college if you have never welded. You will learn all processes, what is entailed in those processes, and become more educated to choose a welder that is right for you. Then you will know that any 110V welder is not sufficient for fabrication like the projects you'd like to get into. PS - that duty cycle means you can only weld for 1 minute in any given 10 minute period.

If you really want to get into this, invest and get a 230V Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln welder. Do some research first though. You say you want to stick weld? Is that just because it's the cheapest option?

Read up! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/t...welder-477247/
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
sledheadtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In the last year I did exactly what you want to do. I ended up going with a lincoln 180, it is a 220 volt mig that has worked great for all my jeep parts. I picked it up brand new for around $600, I think that is about as cheap of a 220 volt name brand mig you will find. I would suggest getting a mig and practicing a lot with it, the arc is great when you become really good, but the mig is easier to learn and to make nice looking welds with. I went with a pro tools bender, they have a great package deal for around $1000, that includes 2 dies, a tubing notcher, tubing bender with degree locator, bend tech EZ software and great customer service. I would also suggest picking up a plasma cutter, it sure makes life easy cutting through 1/4 inch steel. For the rear bumper it seems most people go with 1/4 inch thick 2x4 steel, that is what I used also. For the tire carrier portion some people use 3/16" and some use 1/4" 2x2, I used 1/4" 2x2. Companys like A to Z sell kits for spindles, latches, clevis mounts, and tire mounts for a good deal. You can read all day about tubing, and HREW vs DOM. Good luck with your project.
sledheadtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:

# 110V,Single Phase

I would'nt bother with it... 10% duty cycle means that you could only weld 1 minute out of every 10.

Figure about 10amps per .010" thickness of steel for general fabrication with carbon steel.

With some tools, it's just better to take the hit and buy quality first time around... especially with relatively expensive tools like welders, benders, plasmas...etc.
Not saying you need to go dump a few grand into tools, just don't let price be the only deciding factor or you may end up spending more money in the long run. Buy once cry once...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what the difference in pipe and tube, sorry if its a stupid question, but i do need to be edumacated!!!
The only REAL difference is the way it is measured, a 2" TUBE is measured 2" outside to outside....
A 2" PIPE is measured 2" from inside to inside edge.

Most people don't know much about how strong pipe really is for the fact the popularity of using just TUBE for jeeps and 4x4's because it's a little easier to measure for simpe fabrication for the hobbiest.

You can get DOM tubing AND pipe..
You can get welded seam tubing AND pipe..
You can get chromolly in both...

Any process of tubing made is also made in pipe.

In the past 30+ years i've been an ironworker i've welded..fabricated and put up PIPE being used for structural purposes on bridges..power plants..buildings..etc etc designed by some of the BEST engineers in the world..it just all depends on the availability and price of which they decide to use.

If you want to get technical,,a 2" PIPE is stronger than a 2" TUBE made of the same material and process..pipe has the larger diameter than the tube....

I made both my bumpers from schedule 40 2" PIPE...i've YANKED HARD on them pulling myself and other vehicles out of mud holes..SLAMMED into trees and river rocks with them...and recently rolled my jeep on it's side when i hit a tree so hard it flipped it from the front bumper hitting the tree..and to this day they have no kinks or bends in them,just several different coats of paint from the abuse..lol

You can get PIPE dies for the same benders used for tubing and vise versa

As far as a welder,that depends on how much use you plan on using and how soon you want to start fabbing and feel comfortable with your welds..stick takes ALOT more skill and TIME to learn ..a wire feed(MIG or FLUXCORE or both) is ALOT easier to learn for the beginner and hobbiest.
Another factor is what power supply is readily available to you..110v only?..or 220v too?

Other tools you need to consider and a MUST..is a grinder and cut off wheels and grinding rocks for it..a GOOD welding sheild..and an auto sheild is MUCH easier for anyone to use..especialy begginers.
Good power tools..drills,,sanders..etc etc.

There is plenty of build threads of different bumpers,rock gaurds ,etc here..different styles..different types of steel,tube,pipe..etc etc..just have to decide what route you want and then from there figure out the best material and size for you're application and budget

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For welder or expensive tools see if you can find it used in good work condition saves tons of money. Check craigslist, want adds, and try to buy it local or look for free shipping if not local.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
casperbrown
1993 XJ Cherokee 

excellent information iron. informative and and the last sentence is "a jeep thing" individual application and budget.
casperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Been reading here a long time, and I can tell you that if you follow Ironworker's advice, you will never go wrong. And obviously, with his fabrication track record, by all means listen to Besrk, too.

Pipe is fine for a hoop on a bumper, side rails, etc. I don't think I'd trust it in a roll cage, especially one not designed/built by a pro. I think it can be a solid cage IF designed/built by a pro.

Definitely a difference between a tubing and a pipe bender. A pipe bender, from what I've seen, will ruin tubing. And a tubing bender aint' cheap.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper , pipe , tire carrier , tube , welder

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.