I wanna learn to weld... i know absolutely nothing. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I wanna learn to weld... i know absolutely nothing.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

I wanna learn to weld... i know absolutely nothing.

Where do i begin learning? I have not even looked at options, i do not know the types of welding, i know nothing.

Any good links?

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you even tried to google on the subject? I just did and there are lots of good sites on the subject. I think that a mig welder would be your best bet. Lincoln, Miller and Hobart welders are good quality welders. You also donít need to get a gas setup, which could come later. If youíre not tight on money then by all means get the gas.

You are also going to need some scrap metal, .065 (1/16-inch), 1/8 and 3/16-inch to practice on. Try a couple of fab shops and they might just give a bunch of their scrap for free. The more the better. Oh yea, get a good welding helmet like a auto dark one, gloves and so on. You can also just use a regular flip type helmet, which is a whole cheaper.

Welding can be fun once you learn. Be prepared to add other tools to help you with fabricating things once you get going. Be sure too that no one is watching you weld without them having proper eye protection (welding shield), especially young children. Good luck and have fun.
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i just went out and got a Mig welder when it was on sale, my welds suck but at least i have something to improve upon now

welding thin metal sucks lol, just ends up catching on fire O_o so dont do that

and make sure that when your welding you do so not ontop of something flamable,

the metal slag that came off when i was doing my muffler fell ontop of a towel i had layed on the ground under the car. it caught fire lol.
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This guy is pretty much to the point and doesn't get too technical for beginners...

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

When learning how to weld,to be a GOOD weldor you also need to learn some minor metalurgy,as to how any material reacts to heat,the strength of different types of steel/alloys,types of filler rod/wire and their advantages/disadvantages and strength etc.

A few welding forums who have plenty of Pro's in there for advice and good reads when searching,just remember..there is NEVER a "dumb" question ,if you don't ask it,you just plain old will never know..AND..you have to take advice in stride and filter it all out,this is why i suggest learning the nature of the steel and alloys before welding so you have an idea if some advice is crap or good advice..kind of like painting a car..they don't grab a spray gun and just start shooting paint,they have to learn the nature of the different types of paints and coatings that are compatible and how it sprays and holds up..etc..

WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin

WeldFabZone.com - Mzone's Weld & Fab Forum - To enhance your knowledge & skill in the world of welding & fabrication. - Index

American Welding Society Online Forum

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I would start out by reading about welding on Wikipedia. If you can set out to learn about the 3 main types (arc, MIG, TIG) on Wikipedia, and get that information firmly into your head, you'll have a good basic knowledge of some of the general concepts. After that, then hit Youtube and find the welding 'how to' videos to see some weldors in action.

If you like to read (offline) I reccomend "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch for a good source of introductory information. Welding for Dummies is also a good source for a beginner. I would actually get the Dummies book first, if you're only going to get one book.

After that, you might look for local welding classes. While it's common to find multi-week or month classes, you might be better to try to find a 1/2 or 1 day introductory class that will let you get a bit of hands on time with the equipment and actually try welding without getting into the commitment of a long and expensive class. If you live in or near a large city, you might see if there is a company that does casual learning classes (instead of trade school-like classes)

If you're still interested, then you'll probably want to get your own welder. I won't go into what welder to buy, but keep in mind that the kind of welder you buy depends on the kind of welding you need to do (or want to do). This basically boils down to the materials, objects, and circumstances of your welding. The only thing I will add is that the really low-cost generic-name welders can pose a problem for a novice because they can make it difficult to get clean and strong welds if you don't already have good experience.

Keep in mind that although it's called 'welding', it's more realistic to just refer to the concept of 'metalworking'. It's not practical to just do welding; you also need the ability to cut and form metal, and you need other tools to do that. The welding machine is just a tool to join metal. So don't think you can pick up a cheap welder for $250 and be good to go. You may also need a grinder with abrasive cutting wheels and grinding wheels, possibly a cutoff saw, clamps, magnets, and more. You'll also need a good welding helmet and gloves. To make the best welds (with a MIG or TIG welder) you need shielding gas which is cheap, but comes in a gas cylinder that is not cheap. At that point, your $500 MIG welder has just turned into an $800 deal with all of the accessories you need.

After that, you need to practice, practice, practice.

Oh, you asked about links. Go over to the forums at www.weldingweb.com and hang out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.