I need some Idea's on Steps ????? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I need some Idea's on Steps ?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
MangesMade

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.....Since I first posted, I've been to busy to fabricate anything. BUT, I did find some extra time to buy another Jeep, a '81 CJ5. BTW, this '81 is black with lightning painted on each side of the hood coming down both sides. My wife had named our old Jeep Thunder, the Headers and Turbo mufflers contributed to that name. It does sound Thunderously good, especially when you get down on it and the 4 barrel cuts in.
As soon as she saw the new Jeep, she had a name for it.....
Now we have Thunder and Lightning
Lighning has "Steel Horse" Aluminum steps, mounted to the underside of the floor. They are a bit high, when you step up on it, you have to duck under the top to get in. Which makes it kinda awkward.
When I get a "Round Tuit" I'm going to go through with my original plan. I'm going to bolt a square female reciever onto the frame of both Thunder and Lightning and weld up a "T" to bolt the Aluminum step onto with a square tubing leg to mate with the reciever on the frame.
That will also drop the step down several inches, making it just the right height to step up and into the Jeep.
With a pin through the reciever, it will be easy to switch it between the two, making it accesible to both Jeeps. When the going gets rough, I can remove it and throw it into the back.
Oil Well, That should make the Wal-Mart white plastic 3 rung Kitchen Step that she's using now to board Thunder, Obsolete
Here's what Lightning looks like.....

Unread 09-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #17
Knight6

Not as swank as the stirrups, but you can't beat the price at less that $5:

Of course since you have two now, she could just drive the one she's driving up on a ramp for easy entry...

BTW, very nice Jeeps, both of 'em.
Chevy 5.7L Vortec, Ford T-18 with granny-low 1st
37x14.00 Iroks, Warn 9K lb winch,
Metal Fusion tube fenders,full cage frame tie-in, +++
Knight6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 06:30 PM   #18
V8wrangler_idaho

side pipes and a step. Its tuff I have drug it over rocks check out bulletproofmfg.com they have some close ups of there version. I just looked at theres to build mine. Made it out of the same type of metal. Its really really tuff. It 4 inches wide so it gives you plenty to step on. they are not detachable but they are up high enough that you would never have to worry about haveing clearance problems with it
Quote:
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/hardcoremfg/flex.JPG
Quote:
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/hardcoremfg/flex2.JPG

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #19
V8wrangler_idaho

sorry about that must have hit the wrong botton

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
Unread 10-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #20
V8wrangler_idaho

sorry again posted 2 of the same pics

Unread 10-03-2003, 12:28 AM   #21
MangesMade

Idaho.....Thanks for the sites.....some good ideas there.
I like your steps, Your whole rig looks good.
I need my steps to be lower for Gr. Ma to get in
Also, I have outside the frame headers and the muffler and pipes come out the same as yours. I was thinking about mounting a stainless sheet, heat shield between them and the floor. Don't know if maybe that's a real bad idea, something else to gather mud and salt sand from the beach
Anyway, I haven't gotten A Round Tuit it yet, but I was going to mount the Steel Horse Steps that are on the Jeep in the last posts..... on a square tubing frame so I could use them on both of my Jeeps. When I want to go into something bad, I can just pull a pin from the reciever bolted to the frame, and remove the step like a trailer hitch.
Next project after that will have to be a tire carrier.....thanks for the Bullet proof site.
BTW.....What did you use for the pivot on your tire carrier. Do you mind posting some pictures of your tire rack.....especially some close ups of the pivot and lock? Thanks
Unread 10-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
V8wrangler_idaho

i have 2 types of swing out carriors that i make. One is just for the tire the other is for the jerry cans and the tire. The piviot is the same for both. its the easyest and the strongest piviot you could make. super simple and very effective. what i have is a 1 inch solid rod welded top and bottom of the swing out arm. that exstends down through the bumper and then there is a little of the 1' rod sticking out the bottom of the bumper that you see. on the bumper I have weled top and bottom of the bumper a peice is 1' inside diamiter tubing. for the 1' rod to go though. I usually have the metal shop that i get my metal from take about a 10th off the rod so its a little looser of a fit but still very tight. Then i line the inside of the 1in inside diamiter tube with plastic. plastic from a milk jug works really well. to fill in the very small gap. Its a very tight fit that won't weld its self together from the friction with that thin layer of plastic in there. If you just go metal to metal with that tight of a fit it will weld itself together. Its happend to me. here are the pics of both types of carriors. if you have any questions ask away.

Unread 10-31-2003, 02:55 PM   #23
MangesMade

Finally got A Round Tuit

Thanks for all the ideas.....I finally found the time to build the brackets I needed to install the steps.....
I thought maybe it would be appropriate to start a New Thread
on the Project Forum to post the pictures.
Please check 'em out and tell me what Ya'll think.....any additonal ideas are welcome as I haven't done it to both Jeeps yet.
As of right now, I'm just going to make another set of female receivers to go on the other Jeep, that way I can just switch the steps between the Jeep that'll we'll be going in that day.
Thanks !

Last edited by MangesMade; 10-31-2003 at 03:01 PM..
MangesMade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.