I need some Idea's on Steps ????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I need some Idea's on Steps ?????

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2003, 01:56 AM   #1
MangesMade

I need some Idea's on Steps ?????

I've searched through the Archives and didn't see much on Steps.
I just put BFG M/T 35 x 12.50's on my CJ 5 and Gr. Ma is having to use a 5 gallon bucket to get in. At the moment I'm thinking of building some steps that will be removable. Square tubing into another square tube like on a reciever hitch. I have headers and the muffler runs along on the outside of the frame, right in the way I'll have to fabricate down, around and under the muffler. But I don't forsee that as a big problem.
I've measured the height of her step and the step will have to be just a couple inches lower than the Muffler.
Any ideas or maybe some PICTURES of some home built steps. Thanks.....here's the Junker that they'll be going on.

Unread 08-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
rustyCJ

your exhaust will make this a lot more challenging.

depending on the shape of your tub you could always come down from that. stick a heavy backer plate above and below the tub sandwiching it to support the weight. then build a step that angles out and removes simply with hitch pins or something.

if you wanted to get real trick you could make the steps fold up so that they would lay/secure next to the seats when removed.

this is without having a good look at what you are working with, there is prolly a lot easier way to do this.
Unread 08-20-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
BIG SEXY

What ever you do, stay between the body and exhuast. If you went under the pipe and somewhere down the road you had to get some muffler work done you will have a problem... I would bolt to the floor board on the underside and come out from there with a drop down bar that can be flipped around when you trailride for more clearance.
91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn [B]XD9000i[/B] (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
BIG SEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #4
MangesMade

Here's what originally had in my head....

Thanks for your Ideas.....My original idea was to use the pre drilled holes on the frame to bolt a piece of Angle which will hang down between the muffler and frame. The Angle will have a short
piece of square tubing welded onto the end of it.....which would be the reciever to accept the square tube ( Male ) that the step will be welded to. The male with the step, will go under the muffler. It will have a pin through it just like on a Reciever Hitch.....when I want to, I can pull the pin and throw the step in the back.
I had given some thought to a fold up step, but I can't picture it in my mind, especially to get past the Muffler obstacle.
Thanks again......Keep 'em Coming !!!!!
Oil Well, Anybody want to trade some stock exhaust manifold's and two Real Quite Mufflers and Tail Pipes for some Headers and two KINDA QUITE Turbo Mufflers
Unread 08-21-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
magicmudder

Rusty said something about steps that fold up so you could easily store them beside your seat, and I read it wrong and thought about steps that actually come down from under the tub. I think you read it wrong too, but what if you had steps that slid out from in between the tub and the exhaust. You could use an actuator to push them in and out and could even have them come down too like this (sorry for the quality, it was done in paint).

The round parts would have to be a pulley of some kind mounted to the tub to make the step fold back up, but some hinges would allow the step to fold down on its on. Here's another view so maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

There's still the issue of the tub being able to support the weight on the pulleys, but the steps would be out of the way and you'd still be able to see your exhaust. Just some more ideas for you.
Unread 08-22-2003, 03:48 PM   #6
MangesMade

Man, That an Awesome Illustration !!!!!
I might could use the pattern less the Actuator.....and just slide it in and out by hand.
I would only need to fold it up, or remove it if the going got rough.
Thanks
Unread 08-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #7
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Chain

I know I've seen this somewhere.

Take a length of chain long enough to attach to the floorpan, inside the door and make a loop out the door and back in to the floorpan.

Then you could weld some of the links together to make a step. Put some hose, or rubber coating over the links that drape over the door sill and along the body to protect your nice paint. (That is a nice looking CJ by the way) A couple of backing plates like was mentioned before should keep the floor of the tub sturdy.

Then all you have to do is open the door, pull the chain over the sill, get in, pull the chain back into the cab, close the door and drive off. You might keep some rags or gloves close by incase your feet are muddy.

I wish my jeep was tall enough to need these, I think they would be pretty cool!

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 01:35 AM   #8
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

How 'bout some rectangular tubing to make an extension fom the frame and using fold down steps like school buses have up front.

I don't know where you'd find them, but it can't be that hard to locate some.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 03:35 AM   #9
jeffs77CJ5

I used steps a friend gave me that came off of an old truck. They were too long of course. I cut them to the length I needed and rewelded them together. I fabed some brackets and welded them to the frame. The same idea should work for you. You would just have to fab your brackets a little lower.
jeffs77CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 02:17 PM   #10
MangesMade

Thanks for all the idea's.....She's already tired of the 5 gallon bucket with a rope, so she'll probably get tired of the Chain and step purdy quick, especially with it muddy
I haven't gotten Around-Tuit yet.....but I want them to be easily removable......leave them on all the time except when we'll be going into Mud or climbing hills.....Yup, there's a few hills in Florida
My plan, as of right now is to bolt a reciever to the frame and the step will mate to it with a pin through it.
Thanks for the idea's. Please Keep 'em Coming.
I'll post some pictures when I get it done.....
Unread 09-03-2003, 05:15 AM   #11
cbrothers

Or maybe even something like this: Jeep Step
cbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 04:53 PM   #12
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try the Kodiak Sidewinder electric step:

http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=8180

http://www.aztrucks.com/category.asp?product=146

....no kit is made for a Jeep last time I checked, so you must find a retailer who will install one and warranty his own work. Cost is about $200.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 06:18 PM   #13
magicmudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrothers
Or maybe even something like this: Jeep Step

BWAHAHAHAHAH
I think you should only have these if your seat is a saddle. Realistically that's not a bad idea, but I bet you'd get a few looks from those though.
Unread 09-19-2003, 12:22 PM   #14
Jeepin_Al
DAJC.......Get stuck!!!!

how about a folding step that you could hang over the side of the Jeep and just fold up between the seat and the door while riding, then just rehang it over the side of the door when getting out? everything else seems so complicated but this idea might be worth a try, I have no idea how strong the bottom of the door jam is though so take it for what it is worth, AL
Unread 09-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #15
rustyCJ

you could always simply find a set of factory steps or buy a set of the warn steps from 4wd or someplace like that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.