I have a question about steel tube. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > I have a question about steel tube.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
chris_ce
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question about steel tube.

I know the difference in DOM and ERW. I know that DOM is stronger.
My question is by how much.
Lets say I want to build a cage. Lets say it's going to be 1.75 tube.
I already have a stick of ERW 1.75 .134 wall. So how much weaker is this going to be when compared to 1.75 .120 wall DOM?

I have seen many threads comparing the two tubes but all listed the same size.
How much thicker does the ERW need to be to get close to the strength of DOM?

chris_ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

build it strong by design, not by material...

i have a buddy that has a land cruiser with a cage build of 1.5" skeg 40 pipe.. and that rig TOPS my list of thrashings.... cage hasn't budged a bit..

i use EWS.. way way cheaper than DOM..

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
TaterTott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

is it Hot rolled or cold rolled EWS tube? that will be a difference as well.

but if you design it correctly, it will be plenty strong. my Cage is all cold rolled EWS tube. 1 5/8 x .134 wall.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTott View Post
build it strong by design, not by material..
This.

the actual strength differences are insignificant if the welds are crap or if the design of the cage is poor, those are the places it will fail first.

Dom is cleaner over-all so you pay up front to not have to remove scale, get material that bends cleaner, and is easier to give a top notch paint job too. When the steel is drawn over the mandrel (DOM) there is a certain amount of internal stress that is released from the steel and this in turn strengthens the steel and makes it ideal to bend and form...especially near the weld seam.

Pipe is generally dirtier, has some lower grades that you want to avoid, may have some ugliness on seams, and might not fit in your bender.. but is very inexpensive and plenty strong enough when built correctly.

Here is a link with some info..http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=1919 about what kind of pipe you want to look for.

If you are building a full blown buggy comp chassis that will see many multiple roll-overs then you should be worried about strength differences...but since your probably building a cage that should only be used once then getting a good solid design (triangulate) and good solid welds (penetrate) are what makes the biggest difference.

Splitting hairs over a couple thousand lbs of tensile strength and saving a few bucks is all the builders choice.
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/specs.html

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
TaterTott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
chris_ce
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Think I will just use what I have to do the front cage parts.
chris_ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.