hydraulic steering question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
1988 YJ Wrangler 
hydraulic steering question

Hey guys and gals. I was thinking of playing with some cylinders i have laying around. Both cylinders are exactly the same and this will be for offroad only. If i was to take 1 cylinder and hook it to the pitman arm and hook the other to the link on the axle cross the hoses i should get the same force out from the axle cylinder as i put into the cylinder on the pitman arm. Would this be correct? Ofcourse im not factoring in cylinder drag but, would this work?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 01:44 PM
1974 CJ6 
You would not want to cross the hoses as the push and pull piston area's are different and it would move faster/farther one way and slower/less the other. If you are 100% air free, then they should equalize movement.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
1988 YJ Wrangler 
Ok thats what i was thinking. Thank you for the advice.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts
So your trying to make a hydro assist? Why not just run a simple cylinder off your tie rod. Two cylinders running together will need to be filled at the with same amounts of fluids, another words You can't have one Cyl fill up the boby side while the other fills the chrome or rod side.
Plus your asking alot from a steering box ( which is not a metering or orbital valve ) to direct all this fluid. What volume loss will you get? Can you time or phase the fluid to your speed of steering?

Kiss, ( keep it simple stupid) is what is needed for a hydro assist or a full hydro set up. To many hoses and Cyl create fluid heat and volume loss which will drag or slow steering speeds.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
1988 YJ Wrangler 
Very true im just experimenting with some stuff i have laying around. I have read that i will loose the steering feel aswell if i do it. Just want to see what it would do. Im not putting it on the road just for playing around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.