HP 44 swap parts list, missing anything? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > HP 44 swap parts list, missing anything?

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

HP 44 swap parts list, missing anything?

I recently bought a HP 44 from a 71 Bronco with the welded on radius arm mounts. I want to start buying the mounting parts we get it all welded up and rebuilt. Please check my parts list and tell me if I am missing anything, or if you have a better alternative, or brand.

-Ballistic Fab Steering Kit 3/4" with High Misalignment Spacers $240.99
-Ballistic Fab XJ-TJ combo bracket kit ( spring perches, shock mounts, track bar mount) $110.99
-Rubicon Express Upper control arm mounts with mini truss and bushings. $150.00
-Custom sway bar mounts
-G2 gears, 5.13 ratio and rebuild kit.

I also need to convert it to disc brakes so I am going to need to figure out the best alternative for that, if anyone has an idea to point to me.

motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you plan on attaching the axle end of the draglink? I'd be concerned about the angle between it and the trackbar.

You will need disk brake knuckles and the associated brake pieces (calipers, lines, caliper brackets, pad, etc). You may also need different hubs and spindles but I do not know about those two.

What do you plan to do about the differing bolt pattern from front to rear?
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Where do you plan on attaching the axle end of the draglink? I'd be concerned about the angle between it and the trackbar.

You will need disk brake knuckles and the associated brake pieces (calipers, lines, caliper brackets, pad, etc). You may also need different hubs and spindles but I do not know about those two.

What do you plan to do about the differing bolt pattern from front to rear?
Im working on the Drag link, I may go High steer, depending on what I have. I bought a 10 bolt for the braking stuff I need, but from what I understand the passenger side is not flat top, so If I could machine my early drum brake HP 44 knuckle then Highsteer, if not cross over with the heims doubled up like on the Ballistic fab kit.

My plan with the rear is a JK 44 in the rear, and im going to redrill the shafts and rotor to 5x5.5
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If going high steer then the axle side track bar mount will definitely need to be moved. It may be too low even where it's at on those brackets just by mounting it above the knuckle but I'm not positive.

Are you sure this is from a 71 Bronco axle? I thought a 71 EB is low pinion and has 260 u-joints. While the low pinion isn't a huge deal, the small 260 u-joints are IMO.

I also thought that EB axles were narrower than stock (59" IIRC) while JK axles are wider than stock (65" IIRC)
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
If going high steer then the axle side track bar mount will definitely need to be moved. It may be too low even where it's at on those brackets just by mounting it above the knuckle but I'm not positive.

Are you sure this is from a 71 Bronco axle? I thought a 71 EB is low pinion and has 260 u-joints. While the low pinion isn't a huge deal, the small 260 u-joints are IMO.

I also thought that EB axles were narrower than stock (59" IIRC) while JK axles are wider than stock (65" IIRC)
Yeah, if I go high steer I'm ready to make a custom track bar mount and I know the sway bar tabs will have to be custom. That's why I decided to make them myself with the plasma cutter and some 1/4" steel.

I don't think I'm going high steer as it add significant cost if my knuckles Aren't flat top (which I'm doubting) and I don't see the benefit being higher than the cost, with the way we wheel out here.

I'm not sure on the year of the axle, I know it has the tabs welded on, and drum brakes, but it is def high pinion. I hope it has the larger u joints. I'd have to check those out. I think it might have come out of an f100, I'm not sure. Ill measure the wms but it looks a lot wider than stock.

Edit: Based on this page, I think I'm fine. http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...s/viewall.html
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea take some measurements and pull the thing apart and see what you actually have. It looks like EB axles have 6 bolt knuckles while full size have 5 bolt knuckles. That'll dictate what brakes you can use. You can only learn so much by reading on here.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to discourage you. Just giving you some things to look and prepare for.
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

fyi lots of good info...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...a-44-a-747194/

I am snagging a hp44 on Sunday out of '76 F150. Disc brakes and 5x5.5. I am planning as of now to just run the Ford knuckles as I do not think flat top knuckles and a tie rod that high will work well for my 2.5" lift. Plan to set it up like my hp30 as far as the steering goes. $150 100% complete and 30 miles from my house. Yes please!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.