How well does a Sawzall cut metal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How well does a Sawzall cut metal?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
dickensheets

How well does a Sawzall cut metal?

I want one for xmas. How well would a 10amp recip saw cut metal? Angle, tube, etc.....

Would it outperform my HF chopsaw for accurate cuts?

Unread 11-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

It will cut metal like a hot knife thru butter if you use the right blade. It will not outperform a chopsaw for accurate cuts, except in maybe the hands of the most skilled user.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
iamdurkee
1993 ZJ 

buy milwalkee 10tooth torch blades at ace hardware theyre like $7 a pack or the same ones are like 11.50 a pack at home depot.
iamdurkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Muddog95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YES get the torch blades from above. They are the Shnizzle!!!! The saw itself is great but it is true that it is not going to give you a very accurate cut. I have an 18V Dewalt and I LOVE it!
Unread 11-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
giixxer21
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A sawzall is only as accurate as you can control it, but for the places you just can't place an angle grinder or chop saw.... they work great!!!!
Unread 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

x2 on an angle grinder
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Recip saws can cut quite well with a little patience and some skill. They won't outcut "chop" saws for speed or band saws for square cuts and longevity. They are handy for cutting things that you couldn't bring to other saws.

I tested a bunch of blades and the Morse Bi-Metal beat the rest in speed and number of cuts per blade. I don't know how to post a spread sheet, but if anyone is interested drop me a line............chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
lkg351
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed with above, they're not exactly accurate, but work great for some applications.

I would stay clear of Bosch blades, I thought they would be fine, but in a single cut through an exhaust tube stripped about half the teeth off.

LKG
lkg351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
zachblamercj7
1986 CJ7 

x2 on the 18 volt dewalt mine rips through steel like its nothing
Unread 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
x2 on an angle grinder
I used to think that until I purchased a sawzall and decent blades - no more metal dust all over the place!

To the OP - get a sawzall and some good blades and you'll be amazed. I just cut some 3/16" plate and if I had to guess it took about 2-3 seconds to go through about 4" of plate...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
I used to think that until I purchased a sawzall and decent blades - no more metal dust all over the place!

To the OP - get a sawzall and some good blades and you'll be amazed. I just cut some 3/16" plate and if I had to guess it took about 2-3 seconds to go through about 4" of plate...
i've got a nice Dewalt sawzall with dewalt blades (i know i need to get torch blades), but i don't have a work bench & clamp...so holding something by hand and cutting by eye with a sawzall is hell. at least the angle grinder is more dangerous and i can cut something vital open, clearly making it the tool of choice.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i've got a nice Dewalt sawzall with dewalt blades (i know i need to get torch blades), but i don't have a work bench & clamp...so holding something by hand and cutting by eye with a sawzall is hell. at least the angle grinder is more dangerous and i can cut something vital open, clearly making it the tool of choice.
LOL - what's wrong with holding the metal in your hand and cutting it with a sawzall - I used to do that with wood all the time...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
It will cut metal like a hot knife thru butter if you use the right blade.
Exactly. I just had a chance to use this fine tool last week at a friend's garage when he was welding on my rear shock relocators. He handed me the sawzall to get rid of the old shock mounts and that's what I said: "Like butter, man, like butter!"
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
YJSXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

YEA X8 on the sawzall, although nothing beats the new Milwaukee 15 amp super-sawzall. It's the fashizzle. Bad*** too, and it's heave, but fast as hell, but when cutting thick or hardened metals, lower the speed, as it does literally burn the blade.

Bruiser -- 93 XJ Sport. 9.5" lift on 35"" Claws, Locked front & Rear, and some other crap. Rolled it
Cruiser -- 1998 XJ Classic. 3" RC lift. 32" Kuhmo Ventures. Sold it
1999 WJ Limited V8. 4" Mix-n-Match Lift. Nothing special.
YJSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I dunno how I ever got along before I bought my sawzall maybe 6 years ago. It cuts pretty much anything I need it to and with the right blade, quick and smooth for most cuts. How the heck did our dads and grandfathers make do with hacksaws for all their metal cuts in olden days?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.