how to weld ford 8.8 tubes to housing? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > how to weld ford 8.8 tubes to housing?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #31
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I thought I read something somewhere about using a high-silicone wire for welding cast??

Ill see if I cant find the link or something.

Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Will flux core with a HH140 work with a Dana 30? Trying to beef up the front axle for a 3 link and I want to prevent the single upper from spinning the tube. Before the truss goes on at least.
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #33
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It can be done with that machine,but i would definitly do a pre-heat before the weld with any 110v machine,but i've heard great things about the HH 140 and how well it runs for a 110v..and make sure you leave no undercut in the weld.Fluxcore would be my choice for that machine since fluxcore gets a much better penetration
Leaving any cunder cut in a weld makes the base metal substainialy weaker for the fact you now have less material for strength..making that a weakpoint...for example..if you are working with a 3/16" material,and leave just a 1/16" undercut..you now only have the strength of a 1/8" material

As long as you pre-heat for good penetration with that machine..and get a GOOD bead..you should be fine since you're just adding strength to the factory plug welds.

Might be a good idea to make up some kind of JIG to keep the axle tube straight while welding and leave it there for a few hours to cool so it doesn't warp the tube and put stress on the axles.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #34
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Will flux core with a HH140 work with a Dana 30? Trying to beef up the front axle for a 3 link and I want to prevent the single upper from spinning the tube. Before the truss goes on at least.
Somebody up there in NOVA or Beltway Jeepers should be able to hit your tubes with a 220v welder to eliminate any doubt. The axle pumpkin is large and will dissipate heat quickly.. making it difficult to get good penetration with even the largest of 110 welders.. IMO.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #35
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Somebody up there in NOVA or Beltway Jeepers should be able to hit your tubes with a 220v welder to eliminate any doubt. The axle pumpkin is large and will dissipate heat quickly.. making it difficult to get good penetration with even the largest of 110 welders.. IMO.
That's why i said a pre-heat,but meant to get across i would if at all possible do it with a 220v machine.

This has been covered so many times on here over and over..bottom line is always to use the best possible means..220v wire or stick ..and i would still use a pre-heat and post heat for the fact of the large section/chunk of steel the pumpkin is..or..use a hi nickel rod/wire and still a pre-heat and post heat.

This is all as a best case scenerio..i do understand some don't have access,but i perosnaly wouldn't want to trust all that money wrapped up into an axle with a 110v machine

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #36
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just wondering. I wouldn't trust myself yet to do any welding on the axle because I'm not very experienced with the welder. I have a few friends with 220V machines that can help me install the axle brackets and weld up the tubes if necessary. Thanks for the info guys.
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #37
jeepfreek383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Question to all about this particular one, and I'm in no way being critical, just asking: Is this really a good, strong weld, particularly for a housing? It's certainly nice-looking.

But according to your description and how it looks, it appears to be basically a bunch of individual welds. From everything I've read about doing this, I thought it was better to have a continuous weld, not keep starting and stopping like you do with sheet metal. Am I seeing this correctly?
this is not the correct way to weld anything . just a bunch of tacks no matter how you slice it. and it looks cold by the way. this tack method is nice for backyard welders who cant make a decent bead the right way. not picking on the poster just stating a fact a guy who welds for a living isnt gonna lay a bead down like that
jeepfreek383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
1ironwill
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek383 View Post
this is not the correct way to weld anything . just a bunch of tacks no matter how you slice it. and it looks cold by the way. this tack method is nice for backyard welders who cant make a decent bead the right way. not picking on the poster just stating a fact a guy who welds for a living isnt gonna lay a bead down like that
I have more experience in making welds that look like that work. Even when working as a continuos bead on a mig (flux or solid core) half the time, you are heating the filler up to lay on top of the already layed material as you go. Basically with the tack option, you are putting the most heat to that exact point as you go, and not just laying more material on top of rod. With the tacking option also, you are fusing the materials together, not just laying material on top of it.

With heavy equipment I have the most experience welding as far as excavators/loaders and attachments such as bosses on buckets and rakes. Most of the factory welds would break after enough abuse. Usually they break along the weld line and sometimes it would creep through 1/2 to 3/4" steel. Instead of going along the lines of the weld where the two materials will meet, I would lay a tack bead along there, then go the opposite way. Criss crossing them 2 layers with the tack option. After I learned that, no welds of mine ever broke. A tool I made out of forklift forks withstood a 50 ton jack with no cracks with "tack" welding. 1 and 1/2 steel 90 deg welded together in a u-shape was the base of the jack. It bent the 90's of the 1 1/2 and the base, but did not crack.

Also whenever welding, flat is preferred, but if you have to go vertical, that tacking option works best for me. That way there is no puddle falling at all. That is all, IMO, carry on.
1ironwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #39
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ironwill View Post
I have more experience in making welds that look like that work. Even when working as a continuos bead on a mig (flux or solid core) half the time, you are heating the filler up to lay on top of the already layed material as you go.(This makes no sense to a weldor at all,burning in one consistant pass gives continuos heat and penetration in the area,tacking and move method does NOT,it lets the area cool and heat,which actualy creates stress within the weldmant and gets very little penetration) Basically with the tack option, you are putting the most heat to that exact point as you go...(burning one consistant pass with no stop n go will get you MORE penetration,not an opinion,a FACT), and not just laying more material on top of rod. With the tacking option also, you are fusing the materials together, not just laying material on top of it.
none of this makes any sense to me and other true weldors

With heavy equipment I have the most experience welding as far as excavators/loaders and attachments such as bosses on buckets and rakes. Most of the factory welds would break after enough abuse. Usually they break along the weld line and sometimes it would creep through 1/2 to 3/4" steel. Instead of going along the lines of the weld where the two materials will meet, I would lay a tack bead along there, then go the opposite way. Criss crossing them 2 layers with the tack option. After I learned that, no welds of mine ever broke. A tool I made out of forklift forks withstood a 50 ton jack with no cracks with "tack" welding. 1 and 1/2 steel 90 deg welded together in a u-shape was the base of the jack. It bent the 90's of the 1 1/2 and the base, but did not crack.

Also whenever welding, flat is preferred, but if you have to go vertical, that tacking option works best for me. That way there is no puddle falling at all. That is all, IMO, carry on.
If you have problems welding a vertical without using a "tack n go" method,then you need more practice welding to be a weldor...

I agree totaly with jeepfreak383,that tacking method is a weaker weld,it makes for a weaker weld for the fact you are not generating enough penetration through the whole weld,this also puts stress within the weldmant itself.

If you are having problems on welds holding up on heavy equipment as you say, then you are either using the wrong filler metal and/or not using the right pre-heat and post heat method needed for that type of wear plate or hardened steel.
If that was the case,then all those welds made during the building of the heavy equipment would all have that"tack n go method" from the factory,which they do NOT..for a GOOD reason...

The Pre-heat and post heat releives the stress created by the weld on exotic metals,DH-2..T1..etc..i can't think of the long list of hardened steel used on heavy equipment at the moment,there is a long list of the different types used,but they all have to be treated different when welding,you can't just grab any filler metal/rod and "git'rdun" without failure unless you go by the right procedures and materials they are designed for...Carry on

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
1ironwill
1996 ZJ 

I did no edits and stand behind everything I said. If you are using a stick welder, dont tack and go. If gasless mig, it has worked better for me on 3/4" and thicker steel. 5/8" and below, our miller 251 could handle. Pre and post heat accordingly.

Last edited by 1ironwill; 09-08-2010 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: not gonna have a "whats better" comp
1ironwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #41
jeepfreek383

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ironwill View Post
I have more experience in making welds that look like that work. Even when working as a continuos bead on a mig (flux or solid core) half the time, you are heating the filler up to lay on top of the already layed material as you go. Basically with the tack option, you are putting the most heat to that exact point as you go, and not just laying more material on top of rod. With the tacking option also, you are fusing the materials together, not just laying material on top of it.

i dont really understand. on heavy equipment you are either stick welding or using a dual shield flux core both of which are available with all position rods or wire which helps keep the puddle from drooping and allow greater penetration over standard mig, so there should be no reason to tack weld anything other than at fitup. maybe this explains why heavy equipment is constantly being rewelded (lack of fusion,slag inclusions =weak welds) but anyway for 8.8 tubes yeah it might work but it is def. not the correct way. im done
jeepfreek383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #42
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I've done a lot of research into this subject of tack-tack-tack welding vs. real MIG welding.
You have lots of people that use the tack method that swear by it "because my stuff has held up".
That's all well and good, however:

I think the final word on the subject is, none of that type of welding will pass any sort of certification or inspection process. It is not recognized as a proper method by any welding authorities.

Plenty of things people do incorrectly and still get by with them. Doesn't make it the "right" way, though.

And to me, it just seems like a lot more work to keep stopping and starting all the time, versus just getting your burn on.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #43
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek383 View Post
maybe this explains why heavy equipment is constantly being rewelded (lack of fusion,slag inclusions =weak welds)
LOL, I can agree with this.

I worked for a major northeast Cat dealer as a Union welder. Alot of the welds factory were lack or pen or just layed on the steel. Air-arcing was second nature and alot of it was brand new machine's with 1-2 hours on them.

Now I own my own welding business and I'm allways fixing lack of pen welds or cold welds. Boom and stick section sections were the worst, buckets I can expect.
But now were way off topic

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We fluxcore welded the rear of my fords 8.8. We did not heat up the steel prior, it worked for winter, but come summer and more grip, it sheared the welds loose, unlocking it again. We welded the cage to the gears, no flux inside the teeth.
Im going to do it again, but with a stick this time.
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
03ranger4oh

I'd it's cast steel you could certainly do it with solid wire, flux core or metal core. I wouldn't ever use nickel rod with stick unless its cast iron.
03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
.035 , cast , cool slowly , ford 8.8 , housing , pre-heat , tubes , weld

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.