how to weld ford 8.8 tubes to housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > how to weld ford 8.8 tubes to housing?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

how to weld ford 8.8 tubes to housing?

have 220v mig welder and was wondering what kind of wire is used to weld the axle tubes to the housing

YJ89jeepTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

to do it right you need a DC stick welder, and to use nickel rod.
Guidelines for Welding Cast Iron | Lincoln Electric
Handbook-Welding Cast Iron

that said, some people just use plain steel flux-core or solid MIG wire....you just end up with a very hard, brittle weld...but it won't crack if you let it cool slowly.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

flux core it is since we already have that
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

They are not cast iron...they are cast steel..BIG difference.
Most people mistake the 2..High Nickel rod is recommended for the fact most can not find the exact chemical composition the cast steel was made of,so there is a somewhat difference between the cast steel component compared to the mild steel tubes.
Alot of people have great success with just a 70 series rod or wire,best choice if going that way is to preheat it some and then post heat ,then let cool slowly

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
to do it right you need a DC stick welder, and to use nickel rod.
Guidelines for Welding Cast Iron | Lincoln Electric
Handbook-Welding Cast Iron

that said, some people just use plain steel flux-core or solid MIG wire....you just end up with a very hard, brittle weld...but it won't crack if you let it cool slowly.
A high-nickel rod is best, and I've seen it done using either stick or Oxy with a slightly carburising flame. Penetration is going to be a pain, and you will want to pre- and post-heat.

Get a Tempil(tm) stick - most welding houses have them. You'll want one in the 550-600*F range. Make a mark about two inches from the weldment site. When the mark melts (DO NOT PUT THE TORCH ON IT! weld. Stitch first, make another mark, and heat back up. Repeat PRN, until you're done.

Either force a slow cooling with the torch (a fan tip is good for this bit,) or pack the weldment in dry sand.
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
A high-nickel rod is best, and I've seen it done using either stick or Oxy with a slightly carburising flame. Penetration is going to be a pain, and you will want to pre- and post-heat.

Get a Tempil(tm) stick - most welding houses have them. You'll want one in the 550-600*F range. Make a mark about two inches from the weldment site. When the mark melts (DO NOT PUT THE TORCH ON IT! weld. Stitch first, make another mark, and heat back up. Repeat PRN, until you're done.

Either force a slow cooling with the torch (a fan tip is good for this bit,) or pack the weldment in dry sand.
Wouldn't 550* or above be a little too high for cast steel?..i know that's used for cast IRON though

I've always been taught no higher than 450* for any mild steel,especialy a cast steel,any higher would be messing with the composition of the cast.

You can also get high nickel wire for you're MIG too instead of using stick

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

had no problem on mine with just standard mig wire, pre heated to 350 welded and heated a couple times once it was done and cooling and have had no issues so far
good luck
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well i dont think we can use rod bc it is a mig welder, im not doing the welding work my uncle is....thats why my post was specifically for a mig welder and what kind of wire to use, but thanks for the info. so the flux core .035 wire wouldnt do good?
Unread 06-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ89jeepTX View Post
well i dont think we can use rod bc it is a mig welder, im not doing the welding work my uncle is....thats why my post was specifically for a mig welder and what kind of wire to use, but thanks for the info. so the flux core .035 wire wouldnt do good?
You could do better. See if you can find a high-nickel wire (flux core OK,) or get a buddy with a stick or a TIG rig and have him do the job. The weldments you get on cast using regular flux-core wire aren't going to be very good - about like welding a tie rod with a coathanger and jumper cables (it will get you home, but you'd better order a replacement when you get there!)
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just make sure who ever welds it does a pre-heat and post heat if you're going with a 70 series wire,it'll make all the difference in the world.
You should be fine,you are welding steel to steel,not cast iron to steel as most think.

As i've already said,most like to use the high nickel filler for the fact no one knows the exact chemical composition and process it was made of...but..i've seen many 8.8's welded with 70 series filler on dirt tracks and drags strips and most of them held up great,the one's i've seen fail were the ones that were not pre and post heated.
Only heat to around 400-450 at most,any higher is chancing damage to the composition of the cast steel

I always use a high nickel filler,but the filler metal is much higher in price.

Use fluxcore,it is a stronger weld than MIG,general rule of thumb is any weld that takes longer to cool is stronger and less brittle,MIG cools very fast since it has no flux.

Never forget 9/11

Unread 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so flux core over 70 S6? im confused now...our welder uses shielding gas if that makes a difference?
Unread 06-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so flux core over 70 S6? im confused now...our welder uses shielding gas if that makes a difference?
Pre heat-weld with what your welder has-post heat, drink beer.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fluxcore would be better,very easy for him to switch out to fluxcore.
You can pick up a 2 # spool of fluxcore cheap for him to use on you're axle and that would be more than enough to do the job

Never forget 9/11

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well he has flux core already but i was told by someone on here that using flux core isnt a good idea so i went out and bought a 2 pound spool of the 70 S6
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any good weldor will agree that fluxcore is a much more penetrating and stronger weld than MIG(sheildless) wire.It's not really an opinion,it's just a fact....dual shield wire is even better.
Some people THINK MIG is better because it is easier to run and easier to make "pretty"..but fact is fluxcore is a stronger weld and penetrates better,and a good weldor can make just as smooth a weld with fluxcore as MIG

Never forget 9/11

Tags
.035 , cast , cool slowly , ford 8.8 , housing , pre-heat , tubes , weld

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.