How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt Eliminator - 56K beware - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt Eliminator - 56K beware

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt Eliminator - 56K beware

Last year while wheelin’ in Colorado with some friends, I developed a serious crack underneath my passenger side SOA perch. The problem didn’t surface till the next day while I was in Moab doing a relatively easy trail. All the sudden my front axle started making some interesting noises, and looked as if I had balljoint issues at first glance. So Randy (Rock_Worm) and I got out to take a look. Next thing I know, Randy say’s something to the effect – hey Joe, I think I’ve found the problem”.

Anyway, we did a trail repair & then towed it back to our campsite in Moab. The following day, Randy, Larry & I welded it back up as a temporary fix so that we could continue wheelin’ for the next week. It has held up fine ever since & has several other trail runs on it – but I wanted a more permanent fix. So, this is where my “Disco Elimination & Axle Tube Sleeve Fix and ubolt eliminator” begins.

Here’s what the initial crack looked like:

Face of the axle tube:

View from underneath:

View from the back:

So, back at my campsite, I borrowed a friend of mine’s Lincoln MIG welder and we cleaned up the crack and welded it back as best we could.

My friend Larry, from WA, helping do some welding:

Beginnings of the repair:

Okay, now that I’ve explained how my troubles started – here’s what I’ve done as a more permanent fix. Yea, it’s a HPD30 and some may say; “why polish it?” This fix cost me a grand total of ~$30.00 for the 3”x.250” DOM, including hardware. I already had everything else laying around my garage.

I had a pair of perches, so I got some 3”x.250” DOM and started doing some measuring.

I secured the Jeep on jack stands & pulled my tire, then started to remove the Warn hubs:

Then I removed the Warn spindle & Vanco calipers and rotor:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next was to remove the Warn passenger side axle shaft:

Remove the steering links from my MORE steering bracket:

Remove & tape up the axle breather & ARB fitting:

Then the drive shaft and secure it out of the way:

Next up was to remove the ubolts & spring plates:

HPD30 removed. You’ll notice I didn’t bother removing the brake rotor, hub spindle etc from the driver side since there was no need.

Now it’s time to start chopping up the disco housing & completely remove it so I could sleeve the tube with the DOM.

I opened up the vacuum disco block-off plate and stuffed a rag in it so that debris wouldn’t enter the tube as I cut portions of the tube off:

As you’ll notice here – I cut off the tube close to the axle perch so I could take advantage of as much of the axle tube as possible when I sleeve it.

Here’s the outer portion of it that I’ll reuse. Notice how I marked the tube so that when I reattach it – my caster should be correct:

Next up, I opened up the disco housing block-off plate & move my rag to the inside of where I’d be making my second cut.

Vacuum disco gone:

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No, I’m not a dentist there are some deburring tools I use to help remove those nasty/pesky burrs after cutting:

Then I removed the old RE axle tube shock mount:

Cleaned up the axle tubes with a flap disc:

Test fit of the new sleeve, perch & rechecking castor with my angle finder:

I drilled some holes in the new sleeve so I could plug-weld it in place:

Test fit & checking castor:

Marking the new spring perch for welding:

Fabricating new spring plate and ubolt eliminator plate:

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since I did a 1” wheelbase stretch some time ago – I needed to drill an offset hole in my spring perch so the centerpin has an exit:

Measure twice – drill once

Ubolt eliminator test fit:

Plug welds complete & beginnings of the sleeve welded:

Spring perch & ubolt eliminator tact welded & angle rechecked:

Starting to paint/reassembly & getting ready for final welding:

Perch & new lower shock tabs welded:

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing ever goes perfectly – right?

I checked the tube and noticed that the rag I put in it earlier was accidentally left inside. No big deal, I took a broomstick handle & retrieved it:

That’s better. Notice the ARB crosspin:

On to the reassembly. Brakes, steering, spindle, shocks, check:

Drive shaft, breather ARB – check:

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hubs & tires, check:

Well, that’s about it. This is just the first fitting. I’ll be changing this design in the future, but you get the idea as to why & how I did it.
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

nice fab work!
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job!!
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

great job. i need to get the funds up to do this soon.
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice repair and writeup Joe, we had a guy break his axle tube the same way on my last run. I hope I'm not next.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

WOW. Just wow.
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

just curios as to why you attribute the break to the disco cast iron mount when the break occurred on the tube, and not at the mount?
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Greg,

I'm not sure what I may have said to give you that impression. Could you point me to where I indicated or implied that? Thanks.

By completely removing the vacuum disco housing (which I have not needed ever since I installed the Warn hub kit and 1 piece Warn inner ~5-6 years ago) it sure makes it far easier to sleeve the axle tube with it completely gone.

IIRC, the sleeve ended up being ~21.25" in length, and since I left a few inches of the original tube at the inner C and differential, this made for sleeving it fairly easy.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

nice fab work!

Are you using grade 5 hardware for your u-bolt eliminator? I am looking into helping a buddy with his dana 30 and as it is trussed along the bottom, there is no room for u-bolts(making room could prove to be very labor intensive). Upon looking into it I have heard there are some issues with the hardware stretching/loosening. A google search for "ubolt eliminator" brought up this thread so thought I would get your thoughts/experiences. What size hardware are you using?
THANKS!

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #15
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The initial hardware was not up to my standards, it was mearly for fit. It's now grade 8 stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.