How should i get more penetration? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How should i get more penetration?

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #46
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Okay thank u for the last tip of uphill practicing. Ill run straight beads. Thanks man

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #47
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Wait when I go to weld the mounts will I be running stringer beads shelf style like lllllllllllll

Or 1 stringer on the joint parallel with it then multi pass it shelving it

Unread 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #48
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are still learning,i would get everything mocked up on the jeep,just tacked together,then take it off the jeep and weld everything flat...

But you need some more practice....

Not a promise,but i may break out my Lincoln 180 and put fluxcore in it later today or tomorrow give a few pointers and pictures..

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #49
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I'm not going to take it off until I get the rest of the center section steel so I can do the top welds while its on the jeep the bottom off of it. But what am I going to be doing welding parallel lines or stitching?

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #50
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think i am going to have to run some beads in the next few days and take pics with explanations so you understand...

Today or tomorrow sometime,we just back from our yearly vacation up north with family the other day and been busy getting priorities straight before i go back to work on a local nuke next week...so give me a few days to put some time aside for it

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #51
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Okay thanks ! I appreciate it

Unread 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sometime I wish Ironworker709 was my dad or uncle busting my chops in person about technique and theory.

Hit up a metal recycler and snag some scrap by weight and practice as suggested, make a welding cart, etc. and keep practicing. It's what I've done just to be decent.
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
.......Not a promise,but i may break out my Lincoln 180 and put fluxcore in it later today or tomorrow give a few pointers and pictures..
That would be sweet! I have the same machine as the OP and am trying to dial it in as well. I think I'm getting there but having a comparison from someone who knows what they are doing and is using the same equipment would be good peace of mind.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #54
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
That would be sweet! I have the same machine as the OP and am trying to dial it in as well. I think I'm getting there but having a comparison from someone who knows what they are doing and is using the same equipment would be good peace of mind.

I'll get on it tomorrow,been busy most of the day cleaning a few sheds out and some spare rooms of stuff we never use and posting up for sale on some local listings,plus taking the christmas tree and lights down..lol

I'll try and get some digital vids of it too,we have a digital cam corder here somewhere and i'll have to dig it out and charge it up..

Never forget 9/11

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #55
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Thanks man !! Tomorrow should be good I plan on welding again tomorrow

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #56
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I'll get on it tomorrow,been busy most of the day cleaning a few sheds out and some spare rooms of stuff we never use and posting up for sale on some local listings,plus taking the christmas tree and lights down..lol

I'll try and get some digital vids of it too,we have a digital cam corder here somewhere and i'll have to dig it out and charge it up..
Looking forward to seeing this too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.