How should i get more penetration? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How should i get more penetration?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
423aarona

Slag pool is just flux off of a weld bead

423aarona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
423aarona

I weld and whip everything even with stick and try and make it look like a row of dimes kinda like stacking the weld the reason i whip is to let the puddle freeze before i come back into it so i can "stack" the next piece of weld on top of it some people say don't whip flux but alot of people do
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
423aarona

This is worth reading the have no problem stacking or "whiping" a flux core stick http://www.thefabricator.com/article...its-a-stick-up
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
423aarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 423aarona View Post
I weld and whip everything even with stick and try and make it look like a row of dimes kinda like stacking the weld the reason i whip is to let the puddle freeze before i come back into it so i can "stack" the next piece of weld on top of it some people say don't whip flux but alot of people do
That being said it would still be a good idea just to run a straight stringer bead it will be stronger because of the grain structure
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

A straight line ?

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
423aarona

Ya pretty much if u asked a 100 people about welding techniques u would get 75 different answers just play with ur settings and adjust them to you instead of trying to adjust yourself to the welder this might help... http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=32765
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

If you straight line weld do u keep it more on the thicker material? I'm going to watch videos later

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
423aarona

Well it depends i tend favor the thicker metal but u will prolly wanna set the machine for the thinner metal so u dont blow thru it just practice on some scrap to get your angle and speed down pat u run thin metal with the welder turned up but u got to be ready to run with it
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #39
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Okay thanks. Ill post beads tomorrow

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
423aarona

I ment u can weld thin with it up but u half to run with it. Sorry this is comming fat thumbed from my droid
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #41
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Wait all this is of vertical weld. But the mounts will be horizontal so I only have like 1 edge of the d ring mount to weld vertically ..

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #42
423aarona

Ur weld will be fine just YouTube a few videos and trust ur weld a good weld is stronger than the metal it attaches
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #43
423aarona

Just try some of the same welds on scrap
practice is the only way u will get confident with ur welds it just takes time
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #44
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Ok thank you guys

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Practice with some scrap for your verticals..and again,,stay away from any wide weaving and whipping in and out of the puddle...bad habits are hard to break once you leanr them,and those are VERY bad habits...straight consistant beads are top quality and strongest ,run more stringers if you need more weld,wich means run a bunch of straight consistant beads along side the other untill fill completed.

The whipping in and out and any wide weaving is an automatic visual failure in any weld tests,especialy flux coated electrodes..for a GOOD reason.

Learn the correct way right off the bat and practice the BEST techniques and you'll never worry of your welding quality

Wide weaving and whipping in and out of the puddle is for beginners and bad habit creators who never get out of the habit to do it correctly and just cheat their way through it all..

it used to be a regular thing a few decades ago to wide weave and whip n dip,but in due time the research and expereinces with failed welds and slag inclusions have proven them to be failures in anything structural related...i know,because as a youngster i used to love doing it,but i finaly realised the right way after some coaching from older guys it was wrong and cheating,it takes a little practice to do nothing but stringers but once you learn it,it's easy and MUCH better.........

And that TheFabricator's link is clearly stating wide weaving and such is for 6010 rod..thats a rod designed for deep penetration and a fast freeze rod and recommended to whip n weave..but a very weak weld......7018 and fluxcore has a heavy slag..VERY bad idea to do any wide weaving and especialy whipping in and out of the puddle.....

Practice some verticles(uphill) welding on scraps...while welding,pay attention to the top of your puddle,,not underneath or behind the weld,but on the very top where you are burning into the base metal..you'll start seeing the difference of how the metal puddle and slag puddle reacts and start getting the "eye" for it the difference between the 2 and you'll start laying in some really nice welds...ignore the slag puddle that is falling off,pay attention to the fast freeze puddle.

You can also practice this with a peice laying flat,but on a slight uphill angle..this way the slag naturaly falls behind the puddle and you'll learn the difference between the 2..

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.