how to narrow a rockwell axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > how to narrow a rockwell axle

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
jason m

how to narrow a rockwell axle

well last week i dug into my rockwells so i can narrow them down. i will cut 7.5" off the long side tube and re-weld it so i can run a short side axle shaft on bolth side's. i did this on my chepo harbor frieght band saw, but after getting it level it cut the ends perfect. i got one cut done and had to leave, so heres were i am now.

i was going to build a JIG to get the tubes re-centered but i will just use inserts and flat stock welded to the corners to line it. should be damm close, close enough for a rockwell. this is what i did when i reparied crane section, worked for them.

so heres some pic's for now and this weekend i will have more.

jason.

rockwell-1.jpg   rockwell-2.jpg   rockwell-3.jpg  

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
mudwhoreTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is one hell of an axle...turning your jeep into a duece and a half maybe?
mudwhoreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
jason m

nope going into a buggy, the 60/14 bolt will stay in the jeep.

jason.

Unread 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Looks like you could just clamp/tack 4 pieces of angle iron along the corners to align it...

I'm definately gonna follow along on this build..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Looks like you could just clamp/tack 4 pieces of angle iron along the corners to align it...

I'm definately gonna follow along on this build..
ya that's the general idea, before i went to sleep last night i had a good idea with maybe the angle iron on the inside of the tube. i will know better this weekend.

jason.

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Slawth
Utility Master Rebater

1978 CJ5 

Awesome. Can't wait to see Monday's update.

The End
Slawth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
jason m

ok heres were im at now. im am runing into some problems ( like any build ) but nothing i cant over come. when the rockwell axle's are built form the factory they start as two half's, like two piece's of channel iron. so they weld the two halve together when they do this the side's get sucked inward, big time.

so now its not as simple as lining up the edge's, so i will go back to the idea i had with a line up bar. so now i need to have 4 pucks made, 2 that will fit the seal retianer plates OD and then a set inside the carrier bearing caps. i will have holes cut into the centers of the pucks that will be 1.5" so i can use the line up bar i have for the 9" axles. works for them so it should be fine for the rockwell.

i need to tear down another rockwell center and remove the bull gear and upper pinion gear set. this way i can use that bare center for a JIG with the line up bar.

so heres a few more pictures, sorry for the crappy cell phone ones.

jason.
rockwell-4.jpg   rockwell-5.jpg   rockwell-6.jpg  

Unread 01-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of suspension will the buggy be running? The reason I ask is if you will be using leafs it would be an excellent time to turn the tube that way the leafs can sit flat.

Or you can have your shocks/coilovers/ or whatever your running higher away from those nasty rocks. Looks awsome though
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
jason m

going to run a FOX air shocks. i got real lucky, a good friend is building another buggy. so he stripping his old buggy down to a chassie and is giving it to me for the price of a rear steer 60 axle that i built for him over the summer and some cash.

so its a pretty good deal ( on my end ) and i figure buy the time i would of got all the tube and bent it up its still cheaper for me. another plus i always liked his buggy, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745332 this is the twin of the chassie im getting. my friend rick built two but if you follow the other link in that piarate post you will see it, the one in the snow.

so picture that buggy with the rockwell axles under it. i will have to play with the up travel in the front but nothing i cant handle. specs for my buggy will be a TPI 350 ( mild build maybe 300-320 HP ) a T-400 with eather a 205 or a dana 300 and of course the rock's with rear steer.

more to come, but money dictates all my move's, like any build

jason.

Unread 02-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
voodo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

More.............................????????????????? ???????????????
voodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
jason m

its in the hands of the machine shop ( my friends place ), he is doing some simple machine work for a line up bar. so im hooping in a week or two i will have some more progress. till then really nothing more to report on.
i did tear down a broken center chunk. it had a bad upper ring gear, so i will use that as part of the JIG. that chunk will hold the pucks in the middle, im going to place them in the carreir bearing jurnails ( how ever its spelled ). then for the outers i will use the OEM seal retainer plate positon and have him put a 1.5" hole in the center of another set of pucks.

so once the bar slides thru all the pucks its should be very true. agin once i get them back i will post back with more pictures.

jason.

Unread 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Fastbeeatch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got that project going, wow you must love moving those around your garage very interesting stuff can't wait to see the centering whatchamajiggy thing you're making. Good luck and can't wait to see the pics of the buggy build will you start a buggy build thread here or on Pirate I don't see too many build threads on here for buggy's.
H1 Wheels 36" GoodYear OZ Tires
Fastbeeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbeeatch View Post
Finally got that project going, wow you must love moving those around your garage very interesting stuff can't wait to see the centering whatchamajiggy thing you're making. Good luck and can't wait to see the pics of the buggy build will you start a buggy build thread here or on Pirate I don't see too many build threads on here for buggy's.
i will probally do one here in the fab section. i got some time before i start on a buggy. but like i said im getting a complete chassie from my friend that will need some tweeking. so that will be a big step in a faster direction. the motors built, the tranney is getting a freshing up in a month. the dana 300 is apart wating for machine work and HD yokes ( i need to buy them still ).

wiring harness is in maine at another friends place. i have parts scatterd but once i get the chassie i will start bringing them together.
getting past the axle work and getting the steering set up will be the next hurdle.

anytime you want to come buy pat just drop me a line and you know me weekedns are best.

jason.

Unread 02-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Fastbeeatch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Will do, I have been working weekends to try to make ends meet so free time is hard to come by, but I definetly want to take a look at what you are doing this stuff is way out of my league but I do love to learn new things.
H1 Wheels 36" GoodYear OZ Tires
Fastbeeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
jason m

any time pat.

jason.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.