how many feet of tube in your rollcages? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > how many feet of tube in your rollcages?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
jmonier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how many feet of tube in your rollcages?

Thinkin about doin a custom roll cage or having one done. If you could, show a pic of your cage and an estimated ft of tube. Thanks guys

jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Just buy and download bendtech pro software. In minutes you can design a roll cage for your rig and it factors in all the formulas for bends where to bend and cut length of tube you need. you can try things out in 3d before ever touching a piece of tubing. For a beginner it is well worth the $275 spent on software in saved time and tubing.
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

$275 for Bendtech?

Totally not worth it for an amateur who isn't going to be building cages all the time.
For just a cage for your own Jeep, by the time you bought that program and then bought all the DOM and other stuff needed, not to mention a good bender you'd be better off just having a shop do it.

A good cage around here, tied into the frame and stock roll bar that covers the front and back is around 8-900, total. You'll have about that much invested in a decent bender and that Bendtech program, before you buy the first foot of tubing.

Now, if you're going to do multiple cages with it, it might be worth doing yourself and buying what it takes to do the job.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Well i guess i am in a different situation. Two jeeps two cages,two bumpers front and rear,two sets of flat fenders. So the $800 for the bender and $275 for bendtech was worth it for me. I already had a miller 211 welder. Oh yeah two sets of rocker gaurds.

I got some friends and coworkers to go in on dies as they want some work done too.

And my offer always stands anyone local from the forum wants some work done I am game to help them out and offer the use of my tools to anyone here. Just buy the materials, if they kick in towards tool cost then great,if not I got to get some practice in.
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
And my offer always stands anyone local from the forum wants some work done I am game to help them out and offer the use of my tools to anyone here. Just buy the materials, if they kick in towards tool cost then great,if not I got to get some practice in.
Man do I wish you were local
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
PDK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

x1million on Bend Tech. buy it...yesterday!
PDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

To get an idea of how much tube, it's really pretty simple to just draw a sketch of what you're looking at building and take some quick measurements with a tape. I've done anywhere from about 80ft+ depending on how elaborate.. seat mounts, dash bar, "X"... etc.

Bendtech EZ3D is only about $150ish.. well worth it in the amount of wasted tube you'll save and headache you'll avoid.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a little over 100 ft in mine. I was surprised how quickly the tube disappeared as the cage came together but it really depends on how elaborate and "complete" your cage is going to be. If you just add on to the stock cage it could be significantly less tube as a full cage with seat mounts, harness mounts, etc.

Mine has A-to-B, B-to-C, and C-to-C bars, as well as an X and integrated seat/harness mounts. I bought 110 ft of tube and should only have a couple of feet left in scraps when it's all done. Couldn't have done it without Bend-tech

*Edited with some mostly finished pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Bendtech EZ3D is only about $150ish.. well worth it in the amount of wasted tube you'll save and headache you'll avoid.
x2
I used EZ-3D and it was well worth it. Might upgrade to pro if I do anymore cages but I would definitely recommend EZ-3D at least. It saved a ton in waste and couldn't have succeeded in building my first cage without it.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
KMD
1976 CJ7 

That looks great. Lots of triangulation.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
That looks great. Lots of triangulation.
Thanks, that was the goal
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
jmonier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Man that cage is pretty sweet. Ill look into the other bendtech. Thanks guys, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbetter View Post
Edited by BESRK to remove quote suggesting illegally pirating software..
I would rather just pay up for the great software. The ingenuity that went into that software is worth twice what it cost.

If i where you I would edit that post wont get you warm feelings around here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.