How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #91
Goobersbro

yea i installed it yesterday nothing special was needed i did go ahead and pick up a new gasket it was only like 2$ something so it wasnt a biggie the only tool i needed for this that i didnt have was a macrometer for measuring the center gap of the locker but rather than that i was all good

Unread 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #92
sumofatguy

well if anyone has the same troubles of removing the wheel hub assembly, bashing away at it for hours with a hammer is a waste of time (ask me how I know...) Just do this, and it will come right apart

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....5&postcount=13
sumofatguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #93
rjm7263
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what about re setting the carrier bearings preload pr does it not need to be and do u have to reset the back lash to proper settings
rjm7263 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #94
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm7263 View Post
what about re setting the carrier bearings preload pr does it not need to be and do u have to reset the back lash to proper settings
Bearings are attached to the carrier via press. They don't need to be reshimmed as the shims are behind the bearings themselves. As long as you do things carefully and follow my instructions for this type of diff you won't need to gear mark or preload anything.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #95
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im about to install the aussie on my dana 30 and i was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to remove the shift motor on the passanger side axle? i have the 4x4 posi lock so im not sure if i want to mess with removing it since i didnt install it either
YJ89jeepTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #96
Black87
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ89jeepTX, if you remove the passenger side axle, a collar which connects passenger side axle and center axle will be left inside of axle tube. You have to put it back to the axle when you install the axle back. So, you have to remove the shift motor to do this. The posilok should be very simple for you if you can install the aussie. You may do search how that shift motor works in this forum. good luck.
Black87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #97
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black87 View Post
YJ89jeepTX, if you remove the passenger side axle, a collar which connects passenger side axle and center axle will be left inside of axle tube. You have to put it back to the axle when you install the axle back. So, you have to remove the shift motor to do this. The posilok should be very simple for you if you can install the aussie. You may do search how that shift motor works in this forum. good luck.
Been a long time since I've done this install but pretty sure it needs to be pulled in order to slide the inner shaft over out of the way, then back into place. The carrier won't come out with the inner shaft still in it, and the inner can't (if I remember right) slide over far enough to leave the carrier as the ring\shift motor would block it's movement. Someone may correct me on this, I did this install years ago. It's not a big deal to remove, if you have the "cable" style shift it's the exact same as the stock one, but a cable instead of fragile vacuum lines.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #98
yjjeepn92
1993 YJ Wrangler 

this write up will deff come in handy this weekend. i just oreded my aussie and will have my computer by my side thru the whole process. great write up. im itchin to get started
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #99
yjjeepn92
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if i pull the intermediate shaft out (towards passenger side) 4 inches or so will it slide back in just as easy?
Unread 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #100
yjjeepn92
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hate to write three post in a row, but i just saw a thread about the different shims that are needed. will it be obvious as to which shims i need to use or do i need to use some sort of gaping tool? i could use a litte clearing up on this...
thanks
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #101
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to say thanks for this excellent write up! I installed my Aussie locker on Wednesday and after having read your write up it made the job fast and easy.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #102
sethkins88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up, helped out alot!
sethkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #103
JC86CJ
1986 CJ7 

Great write-up! Thanks a lot for the info!
JC86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #104
SM0_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any advice on using Loctite on the ring gear bolts? If yes, blue or red? Hopefully I won't be taking the ring off again.

I realize in the write-up it mentions the use of red loctite, but when I removed the ring gear bolts, there was no evidence that loctite was used on those bolts.

Last edited by SM0_XJ; 05-04-2011 at 11:30 AM..
SM0_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #105
funJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Two quick questions..

Do you guys use axle grease on the new locker?

Can I reuse the rolling pin or do I need to get a new one?
Special Features: Front Parking Lights light up when I hit the brakes...

Let me know if you are in a good club in Socal!
funJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.