How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #76
IVXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Aussie Locker...

Ok I have a d30 on a cherokee laredo with a NP242 meaning selec-trac i think anyhow it has 2 hi 4 hi all wheel hi neutral and 4 lo thats the order... anyhow will this cause an issue with mine Also mine has ABS should i disconnect that fuse when I am wheeling? please email me on my yahoo email at basivey@yahoo.com
thank you

IVXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #77
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow, gotta go with a great write up on this one, i am printing off the write up itself to help with my installation when the time comes, and that time is coming very soon. I love when people do write ups for upgrades like these that help out the basic mechanic and the learning impaired, it looks nice in books with the basic pictures they show in black in white, these pics are real good and really help. I have to admit being a little on edge about doing it myself since this is my DD also, but I am confident about getting it done with this write up and a few hands from the club.
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #78
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

whats better to lock first? front dana 30 or rear dana 35?

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #79
praetorian
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
whats better to lock first? front dana 30 or rear dana 35?
Do the 30 front. Spending any money on the 35 rear is a waste of time and money.
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #80
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
Do the 30 front. Spending any money on the 35 rear is a waste of time and money.
will i have better trail performance locking the front or rear first?

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #81
1RuffRider
2012 JK Wrangler 

Aussie Locker Backlash-

Hello,
I just installed an Aussie in my D44 rear axle. Everything went well (Including the test run before buttoning her up) but I notice on tight turns I get a (kinda loud) pop every once in a while and some extra backlash (bucking bronco). Ex: Pulling into a parking space. How much backlash is normal? I put in Mobile syn gear lube, should I also add a friction modifier??

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 1RuffRider; 03-02-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Typo-
1RuffRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #82
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RuffRider View Post
Hello,
I just installed an Aussie in my D44 rear axle. Everything went well (Including the test run before buttoning her up) but I notice on tight turns I get a (kinda loud) pop every once in a while and some extra backlash (bucking bronco). Ex: Pulling into a parking space. How much backlash is normal? I put in Mobile syn gear lube, should I also add a friction modifier??

Thanks for the help!
Someone else may be able to chime in but I'd consider looking into a friction modifier if it doesn't have some in already. The modifier should help the two dog plates slip on each other easier (it reduces friction even more so than just stock lube) and can help remove some of that banging. I didn't end up running an aussie in the rear end but I did notice the front end pops got lesser as the unit "worked" itself into a comfortable fit. It may just need some miles to find it's own in there.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #83
1RuffRider
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll give it a whirl...
Thanks!
Unread 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #84
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

You will not need to add any type of different fluid, when going around corners (especially tight ones) try to coast through the corner. If you're on the gas it will lock up and then pop when you get off the gas.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #85
praetorian
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I pretty sure that in the directions that come with the Aussie specifically states not to use synthetic gear oil but to only use standard dino gear oil.
Unread 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #86
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
I pretty sure that in the directions that come with the Aussie specifically states not to use synthetic gear oil but to only use standard dino gear oil.
This is actually a good point I didn't think to mention. It's been so many years since I read the aussie instructions I can't remember off hand if it said this or not, in fact I'm not even 100% sure what oil I put in my D30 when I originally did mine.

I know alot of traction options do have VERY specific rules on the oils used. The auburn LSD for example has been known to literally break down if used in full syn diff lube. The aussie is more stout as it's a full locker as compared to a clutched LSD but the oil can cause it to misbehave.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #87
1RuffRider
2012 JK Wrangler 

Aussie Locker Lube

Here's an excerpt from the installation manual-
"Before starting the installation be sure that you have replacement gear oil of the type recommended by
the vehicle manufacturer, and any seals that will need to be replaced. If the vehicle is to be used in hot
weather we recommend the use of 85-140 gear oil, which will provide adequate lubrication and minimize
any sound. Also, synthetics can be used with the Aussie Locker."

I'm guessing my Mobil1 75w90 synthetic is ok. I did add a friction modifier to it last night, but its too soon to know if it helped yet...

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming!!!
Unread 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #88
jayr

bump for install this weekend
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #89
Goobersbro

okay could you post up a list of stuff thats handy to have like outside of tools that would be really sweet such as like wood, brake cleaner, spray bottle ext... because im only 16 and i have never opend up a diff and im planning on installing one soon and it sounds easy enough for me to do i just want to make sure i have all this stuff together when i start

and also you said you had to scrape the gasket off of the housing... did you have to buy a new one and also what other extra parts did you have to buy outside of the locker, gear oil, rvt, and brake cleaner.

Thanks for this write up its one of the best i have found on installing the aussie
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #90
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
okay could you post up a list of stuff thats handy to have like outside of tools that would be really sweet such as like wood, brake cleaner, spray bottle ext... because im only 16 and i have never opend up a diff and im planning on installing one soon and it sounds easy enough for me to do i just want to make sure i have all this stuff together when i start

and also you said you had to scrape the gasket off of the housing... did you have to buy a new one and also what other extra parts did you have to buy outside of the locker, gear oil, rvt, and brake cleaner.

Thanks for this write up its one of the best i have found on installing the aussie
You don't have to buy a new gasket for the diff cover you can use rtv as a gasket in between your diff cover and the axle housing. brake cleaner is nice for cleaning out the housing and all of the part you take off. I bought the locker, new axle seals(was installing chromos and just good to do while you are there), gear oil of your choosing, you can use a mallet to remove the tie rod which will make it much easier to remove the carrier if you have to, there aren't really any specialty tools you have to get to do this mod. simple sockets, prybar, screwdriver will be good unless you are installing new axle seals then you'll need something to press them in with. a punch is nice for marking the bearing caps, and ring gear. I'm sure someone will add to this.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.