How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle.

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #61
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat
Picture links seem to be dead.

edit: But good writeup. Bookmarked for when I do mine.
Fixed. Hopefully image shack doesn't dump them again.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #62
CCFDMEDIK
1991 XJ Cherokee 

oil

great write up. question about the gear oil you mentioned.... do you need a special kind of oil for lockers? also who has the best price on the ausie locker? thanks
CCFDMEDIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #63
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFDMEDIK
great write up. question about the gear oil you mentioned.... do you need a special kind of oil for lockers? also who has the best price on the ausie locker? thanks
Buy the aussie right from the supplier, it doesn't get cheaper than that (other than used units). Any gear oil can be used, but it's normally recommended to use one that is also approved for limited slip\posi traction diffs as it'll smooth out some of the pops and bangs the locker makes.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #64
PhatForrest
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your write-up helped me immensley! A thousand thanks to you, oh great Canuk.
92 YJ, 2.5 l/o, 4" Lift, 33" Super Swampers, Superwinch EPi9.0, Aussie Locked Dana 30, Uniden pro510xl CB and Firestik antenna, Hi Lift, Tuffy Center Console, Miller Lite tap handle shift knob, 40mm ammo can tool box, chains, straps, etc. - Sold to a good home

2006 Wrangler LJ.
PhatForrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #65
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Note: A friend of mine installed a Aussie in a D-35C (in his yJ) & used the center pin provided by Aussie. Their center pin wore the carriers hole ob-longed/egged shaped. We even had a rep out to check @ a local garage. They sent us a new locker but when we used a micrometer the Aussie pin was smaller then the original, thus wearing out the carrier's hole. Aussie could not comment, nor could the rep. I have talked to others & they used their factory center pin to combat this. We removed the brand new locker & installed a Detroit.

P.S. We thought it was popping, (enough to rip the axle end off) (driving straight) due to the Lucas synthetic. Then we replaced the synthetic w/regular dino oil but it continued. Replaced w/Lucas synthetic, again, & then found the center pin problem.

Aussie Locker Write up Comments are further down the post on the center pin problem, basically the same thing I said here.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #66
jeepinjoe123
1994 ZJ 

would this work for a v-8 zj that is also gettin a wj brake set-up and a np-231 by any chance? i'm geared 3.73 should i have to pull the carrier out?
1994 JGC limited 5.2l 4in F>R swap 31in. dune grapplers, soft 8's, flowmaster 40 series and duals out the sides, taurus e-fan, high flow intake, 231 swap, 44a swap, NGK plugs, Shell 93 octane only, homemade choppped and drilled light bar, gold>black stripes, in the process of making true cowl induction hood and putting 96-98 cladding, bumper cover, and grill on
jeepinjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #67
funJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the write up.... I have the 3.07 30 do i have to take off the carrier? If so, what steps do I skip or point to a write up..... Thanks for helping!
Special Features: Front Parking Lights light up when I hit the brakes...

Let me know if you are in a good club in Socal!
funJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #68
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funJ View Post
Thanks for the write up.... I have the 3.07 30 do i have to take off the carrier? If so, what steps do I skip or point to a write up..... Thanks for helping!
Basically you can do 1 of two ways.

1)Plan on having to remove it, tear the cover off, drain the fluid, and look at the cross shaft, if it's partiallly "blocked" by a gear tooth then yank the carrier and do it this writeup way. If it's not blocked from coming out then just pop the retaining pin that holds the cross shaft in out of there, pull the shaft, then roll the gears out and replace with the locker (axle shafts of course still need to be removed).

2)Do an exploratory run, pull the cover, see if it's blocked or not then put it back on and refill with oil and plan for when u wanna do the whole job.

hth

Sorry if the spelling is off, just sliced the hell outta my finger and am goin to get stitched up soon. Laters

Unread 05-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #69
funJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow... wounded and still responded. I appreciate the help!
Special Features: Front Parking Lights light up when I hit the brakes...

Let me know if you are in a good club in Socal!
funJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #70
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just spent over an hour reading all 5 pages and I think it will be great. I just bought the locker today. I am going to go ahead and assume it is almost the same in a TJ from what a previous post said? If it took me over an hour to read I am assuming it will take a while to do. How long did it take you? I guess I will plan on riding in the rain. Thanks!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #71
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999jeep View Post
I just spent over an hour reading all 5 pages and I think it will be great. I just bought the locker today. I am going to go ahead and assume it is almost the same in a TJ from what a previous post said? If it took me over an hour to read I am assuming it will take a while to do. How long did it take you? I guess I will plan on riding in the rain. Thanks!
It took me a few hours (yes the TJ install will roughly be the same as a YJ install, maybe less tricks) but that's because I took a very calculated pace so I wouldn't leave out anything by accident. Also I didn't have a guide to follow so I was making a list of tips I read and was figuring it out as I went. It's definitely a doable job just make sure not to go on autopilot while working and forget anything. Good luck with the install

Unread 10-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #72
kurtfriedrich
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any reason the aussie locker install or performance would be any different on my 08 JK with a Dana 30?

Do these lockers wear out like some limited slip diff's after 20-30k miles?

In 2 wheel drive, is there absolutley no difference in behavior? (I let my kids drive the jeep on the highways, in the rain, in 2wd, I don't want to find out that it makes it more dangerous.

thanks
Unread 10-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #73
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfriedrich View Post
Any reason the aussie locker install or performance would be any different on my 08 JK with a Dana 30?

Do these lockers wear out like some limited slip diff's after 20-30k miles?

In 2 wheel drive, is there absolutley no difference in behavior? (I let my kids drive the jeep on the highways, in the rain, in 2wd, I don't want to find out that it makes it more dangerous.

thanks
Personally I've not looked under an 08 and couldn't even tell you if they still run D30's. If it IS a d30 axle then the install would be almost completely identical unless there was something different OUTSIDE the axle that would need to be moved in order to pop the cover. If it's not a full time AWD based 4x4 but rather a "shift it into 4x4 when I want and turn it off when I want" it should be invisible like on the YJ's and TJ's because no torque would be present in the front axle to cause the locker to want to lock. They do not wear out as they have hard faced teeth that cause the lockup, not clutches like LSD's.

Unread 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #74
praetorian
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure the two front axle options for the 4wd non-rubicon jk are hp dana 30 and hp dana 44. Not sure if they offer a lsd in the front of those though.
Unread 10-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #75
kurtfriedrich
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ View Post
Personally I've not looked under an 08 and couldn't even tell you if they still run D30's. If it IS a d30 axle then the install would be almost completely identical unless there was something different OUTSIDE the axle that would need to be moved in order to pop the cover. If it's not a full time AWD based 4x4 but rather a "shift it into 4x4 when I want and turn it off when I want" it should be invisible like on the YJ's and TJ's because no torque would be present in the front axle to cause the locker to want to lock. They do not wear out as they have hard faced teeth that cause the lockup, not clutches like LSD's.

Thanks for the info. While looking for gears, I was poking around and found this: "THIS GEAR ONLY FITS NON-RUBICON 2007 WRANGLER FRONT AXLES. Jeep changed the long-produced Dana 30 to use different gears, carriers, bearings, yokes and all. None of the parts for a 2006 and older Dana 30 will work with 2007 and newer Jeep Wrangler axles. "

at this site: http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71697

So it seems your info is good, but I have to be careful to get one for a new model Dana 30.

Kurt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.