How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #31
TJ Willy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hate to dig up an old thread.... well not that old... but I am trying to decide b/t the lockright and the aussie. I am really curious about the above couple of posts about the loud noise. Was this ever tracked down???

TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #32
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy
Hate to dig up an old thread.... well not that old... but I am trying to decide b/t the lockright and the aussie. I am really curious about the above couple of posts about the loud noise. Was this ever tracked down???
If you are talking about the clicking noise that the lockers make. I just installed a Lock Right in my front Dana 30 about a month ago and it is basically completely silent.

Unread 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #33
CanukYJ

Yep all lockers make some noise, some are loud and sound like gears crunching, some you have to put your ear to the pumpkin and turn the tire in order to hear it. The aussie is on the ear-to-the-pumpkin side. Mine -was- loud for a bit, but like I said that was due to my axle seal leak causing the fluid to run low (and some water to get in). Low lubricant will make -anything- louder, topped up with gear oil and again it was silent. I just drove my jeep hope the other night with blown brakes, I was using 4 low on the trail in order to slow myself for all the obstacles since I was sans-brakes, when I got to the dirt road I thought I shifted back into 2hi, but being that the ride ended up being about 4 hrs longer than I planned, it was dark and I was tired I didn't realize I had hit 4hi (doh!). I drove all the way home on the dirt roads, and some pavement before I realized it was still engaged (don't try this at home, it can be fatal to your tcase). I drove that much, doing corners (some 90deg) and normal driving and didn't hear a single thing from the front.

I guess my point is the locker was quiet on the trail and on the road. Everyone's different though and some people thing the slight creak of a tracbar is an absurd amount of noise, my friends didn't even know the locker was working the first few times out because it was invisible...till I hit the mud. But this thread is NOT a review thread for gear, I've already gotten off topic, feel free to search for the aussie locker here and on pirate4x4, lot's of good real lift experiences are out there.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #34
phlex234

how different would the install of a lockright be?

[B]Jeep 2.5 Low Output club member #2
92 Red YJ, 3.5 Bds lift, 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, 33 in tires, long travel DT3000 shocks, m.o.r.e. 3/8 boomerang shackels, 4:56 gears, Tj flares, rock-it man front and rear bumper, Terraflex SYE and Tom Woods CV driveshaft, herculined tub, custom homemade rocker panels, powered by the almighty 4 cylinder[/B]

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155355]NEVER FORGET[/URL]
phlex234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlex234
how different would the install of a lockright be?
They are basically the same exact install.
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #36
bburgi

I actually followed a write-up for an Aussie locker when I installed my LockRight.

Oh, and the lockRight does make a clicking sound when turning, but I can only hear it with the windows down and radio low. Otherwise it's not there.
Lifted, Locked, Disco'ed and Lit-Up
...in-progress
bburgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:44 AM   #37
xj-boonie

CanukYJ,

How is having it in the front axle in the winter?

Thanks,
Mike
[SIZE=1]1996 XJ Sport, 3" OME lift, 31" BFG AT's, Tom Woods SYE & DS, Amsoil flat filter, Amsoil fluids, Kolak ignition & exhaust, Hidden Hitch hitch, IPF e-codes & Magic-J bulbs, T-case & Gas tank skids, AJ's super rails, C-rok brace, JKS disco's, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000.

1979 CJ5, 258 I6, T18a, glass tub/fenders/hood, 4" BDS lift, 33" BFG MT's[/SIZE]
xj-boonie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #38
Muddeprived

Front lockright can be a pain sometimes. I once got stuck on a muddy hill and could not get the jeep to turn. Being locked front and rear, the jeep just slides sideways which I'm sure it'll do in snow but nothing to worry about if u take it slow. The traction the locker gives you is definately worth every penny.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #39
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-boonie
CanukYJ,

How is having it in the front axle in the winter?

Thanks,
Mike

It works fine, it makes no diff in 2wd in the snow (or on anything for that matter). In 4wd you can turn on the highway and stuff fine, 90 deg corners in residentials are not a problem either unless you turn then hard while giving it lot's of gas, then the front might just plow. But it's my opinion that if it's THAT bad out that you -need- 4wd on you shouldn't be flying around corners anyways.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #40
jruba

Could you explain why i wont have to install the C- clip on older yj's , mine is a 94 but the axle came from a 89 whit 4:10 gears ? tanx in advance.
jruba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #41
CanukYJ

The c-clip was there to hold the inner shaft in place during assembly. Since the crosspin holds the shaft from moving inwards, and the outer axle shaft holds the inner from moving outwards (say that 10 times fast!) it won't go anywhere anyways. This is why they eventually when "why do we even go through the trouble?" and removed it completely. It'll be fine

Unread 09-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #42
jruba

Tanx dude .....bye bye C - clip..
jruba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #43
azsndvl

aussie locker

Hi, I also installed an aussie locker on my 93 YJ front D30. What is the reason for removing the bolts on the carrier to remove the ring gear? I installed mine just fine, without this step.
azsndvl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #44
Muddeprived

It depends on the gear thickness. Some gears are thin enough that you can get the crosshaft outwithout hitting the gears. My 3.73 gears were too thick and i could not slide the crossshaft out without hitting the gears so i had to remove the carrier to install the lockright. I think you can install it easily with 3.07 gears....correct me if i'm wrong.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #45
bmboll

I'll book mark this. Thanks
bmboll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.