How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to install a ‘lunchbox’ locker (ex locker, aussie locker, etc) in your D30 axle.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #16
CanukYJ

From what the page shows, and from what I've learned, is that the aussie will work with ALL front axle D30 applications. To be 100% sure though do two things:

1) E-mail Bill Cole (great guy, very knowledgeable) and ask him, he's the president.

2) Check with the place you plan to buy your 4.56's from and see if they require a new carrier or if you re-use the old one.

I know with the aussie it will work with ALL stock dana30 carriers. So from 3.07 to 4.10 is the same part number. But if the place you plan on your gears from supplies an AFTERMARKET (different than ANY stock carrier) carrier there may be some complications. I would assume though since the aussie just replaces the spider and side gears that it should transfer fine. It's not like the new gears will come with new different sized spiders or anything. hth

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2004, 01:21 AM   #17
Bobbywolf

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. They should pay you a comission when I buy!
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #18
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywolf
Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. They should pay you a comission when I buy!
Hehe no stress, just trying to share some of my findings with my experience, I had the same type of questions before I locked up

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #19
GMagana

I installed an Aussie in my front D30 last weekend and referred to your write up before doing so. Thanks for taking the time to post it. 4X4xplor.com also had a helpful write up done on a TJ (mine is a TJ).

One note I'd add was my carrier was really in there tight. I had to use a big "crow bar" to get enough leverage. Then it just popped right out. The smaller (2 FOOT) prybar was just flexing. I wasn't sure how hard it should be, but it was just a matter of leverage, so peeps shouldn't be afraid to kinda get on it.

Unread 12-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #20
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMagana
I installed an Aussie in my front D30 last weekend and referred to your write up before doing so. Thanks for taking the time to post it. 4X4xplor.com also had a helpful write up done on a TJ (mine is a TJ).

One note I'd add was my carrier was really in there tight. I had to use a big "crow bar" to get enough leverage. Then it just popped right out. The smaller (2 FOOT) prybar was just flexing. I wasn't sure how hard it should be, but it was just a matter of leverage, so peeps shouldn't be afraid to kinda get on it.

Hehe glad the write-up helped, yeah that's the bearing pre-load. All depends on how your gears were shimmed and how "new" the bearings are. Mine came out by hand with some "persuasion" but I've heard of people using prybars and even tieing rope around it and yanking it out with another truck (NOT recommended!).

Unread 12-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #21
GMagana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
that's the bearing pre-load. All depends on how your gears were shimmed and how "new" the bearings are.
That makes sense. I had my TJ re-geared not that long ago. Should have done the locker then, but I had run out of money so it had to wait.
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #22
CanukYJ

Added Update About Older D30 Inner Shaft C-clip Info

Unread 05-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #23
dabomb5756

I thought that a lunchbox locker like this did not require the removal of the carrier. Do you need to get the ring and pinion set up again?
Unread 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #24
CanukYJ

If you read the write-up you'll be able to answer both of those yourself.

-With the d30 front axle in a YJ you cannot remove the cross shaft with the ring gear in place.

-If you follow my instructions you won't have to setup gears.

It's all in the write-up

Unread 05-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #25
Jeepercrepper

Help With Aussie Locker!

Hello. CanukYJ I need your help on something. I installed a aussie locker on my front 30 about 4 days ago. I have a 1993 YJ. So I installed it but it didnt pass the unlocking test. but i still assembled the jeep back together thinking it would work fine once on the ground. My problem is that in 4wd the locker if fully locked and nevel clicks to uverrun the gears. its just fully locked all the time. The only reason why it runs fine on the road is because of the axle disengage in the right axle makes the right wheel be free. Can you please help me. I dont know what i did wrong. I did everything as your instructions say. If its just locked is it ok to run it like this? Its ok on 2wd and fully locked in 4x4. Will anything go wrong in the future? Please e-mail me with your answer and advice. Thanks

racingperformance@comcast.net

Edgar

Last edited by Jeepercrepper; 05-23-2005 at 01:41 PM..
Jeepercrepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #26
CanukYJ

My email is not working from here, I don't use a hotmail anymore and I'm currently on the fire base for the summer so I'm limited to this junky html only dialup connection in the main mess hall.

So you tried locking into 4WD, then jacking one side up and trying to turn the wheel by hand? You sometimes have to really give on her to get it to turn, the human strength is nothing compared to the traction and power of a truck so it may seem like alot of force is needed but that's normal.

If you've tried that until blue in the face then something is definitely not working. Was it tight to fit into the carrier? Did you re-install the thrust washers? It sounds like something is wrong with the springs and pins. Maybe they were put in backwards, they can cause weird things to happen if done wrong. Maybe open it up and see if something is binding up.

Will it hurt to drive it in 4wd with it perm-locked. In theory no it won't, but it will take away -some- maneuverability. The main concern I'd have is that it's clearly not working\been installed right and that there is alot of forces in that small area which might blow under heavy loads depending on why it's not working. I hope that makes sense.

Check will Bill Cole at aussie, he may know what part was re-installed wrong that would cause that, but hopefully it's just really stiff, to date I still haven't run into any other aussie breakages or failures so it must be just something put in backwards by accident

Unread 05-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #27
YJinSD
1990 YJ Wrangler 

In 2wheel drive the ausie in my xj will click no problem, but in 4 wheel i've only heard it maybe twice, and it is louder than I was lead to beleive, or the others must just be terrible.
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #28
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJinSD
In 2wheel drive the ausie in my xj will click no problem, but in 4 wheel i've only heard it maybe twice, and it is louder than I was lead to beleive, or the others must just be terrible.

His won't unlock at all from the sounds of it. Yours clicks loudly? When engaged and turning hard they aren't completely stealth, but it should be very quiet, I have trouble hearing mine over my engine and stereo when on the trail.

Did yours start off quiet then get louder? Mine did, and it got REAL loud, that's when I noticed that I had a leaking axle seal on the drivers side, only a small amount of oil had gotten out but water had replaced what did leak out (damn water crossings, fun but deadly hehe). I changed up the oil with clean stuff (high pressure\stress gear oil compatible with LSD differentials) and it is back to being quiet.

Unread 05-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #29
YJinSD
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said I have nothing to compare it to but I can feel it and hear it. No water around here but I'll open it up and give it a look and make sure everything looks good. The sound I do get is worth the extra traction.
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #30
CanukYJ

Hehe yeah it's definitely worth it either way. Every jeep is a bit different, same with the owners, I've seen and heard lockrites and I consider the aussie to be very silent, but everyone has a different perception and every jeep has a different level of background noise ontop of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.