How do they channel water off ^^ shaped roofs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How do they channel water off ^^ shaped roofs

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
outbackmatt

How do they channel water off ^^ shaped roofs

I notice many large manufacturig buildings are built in a way that they look like two buildings connected to each other side by side and the roofs come together to form ^^.

I'm curious how water sheds off in the middle do they have some type of gutter built in? What do they call it?

My new shop addition is a 20 x 50 metal building and eventually I want to put another one next to it and connect them together and take the wall down to make one building measuring 40 x 50. This will give it a roof design similar to those large commericial buildings and I'm trying to figure out how to channel rain water out of the double ^ peak.

Here is a massive version of what I am trying to accomplish. Same principle though.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

commercial roof aren't really flat - there's peaks and valley's -- and pitched to scuffer plates - depending on the sq. foot theres 4" drain caps every 20' feet or so -- if you stand next to an outside wall during a heavy rain - where a drain is ---- it sounds like a toilet flushing -

In the back right hand corner of this photo -- is the raised grading for a drain --

And incase if your wondering if the air in a Target store is safe to breath --- notice the black / green gelatinous goo coming out of a A/C unit --

P/S -- photo of your roof ?
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The photo you posted more than likely has an internal gutter. Basically a trench in the roof that is sloped to either end of the building to downspouts.

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

internal gutters. work great, but make a heck of a mess if one ever comes loose insided the building.

where i work is 4 buildings joined together, each build about 6-10 years apart and we have quite a few internal downspouts.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
outbackmatt

Ah! So its called an internal gutter. This may work well for my building. See its a metal carport building which the roof is pitched end to end along the 50' length so most of the rain water runs toward the front end and not really off either side. The internal gutter wont have to handle too much water drainage.

The carport building has 9' sides and I'm wanting to go 12' on the addition. I wonder if internal gutters work with 2 buildings of different heights?

Here is the type of metal building it is. The back of it is joined to my larger 2 story shop and there is another metal building joined to it on the other side, and then I have another metal building next to it. lol I'm just having to slowly build up the shop in stages as jobs come in and money becomes available.

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes a internal gutter can be used on 2 different eve heights. However if the eves are the same as the red building you posted I'm not real sure you could get a gutter to seal against it. Because the roof is rolled around to the sides to act as an eve trim of sorts.

Unread 08-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
outbackmatt

Are there premade gutters that you install or do you fab them from metal roofing material?

I see the the rounded eves might make it more difficult but shouldnt be too problematic. The bottom of the rounded eve panel can be unscrewed and lifted up, then a premade gutter slid under and everything screwed back down.
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can have gutters made. Any sheet metal fab shop should be able to bend up whatever you want for a gutter in 10'-12' lengths. Then you just have to source hangers , screws and the sealant ( not silicone) for the joints. Around here there are a couple seamless gutter installers, but most of those are used in residential. All the internal gutters I have installed in 18 years have all been stainless steel straight from the metal building supplier.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.