how do i use a die on pipe?!?!?!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > how do i use a die on pipe?!?!?!!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

how do i use a die on pipe?!?!?!!!

trying to make a few fixtures with gas pipe, 1/2". i've it mounted in the vice and am trying to use a hand die...and i'm about to scream.

i can't get a good bite. i beveled the edges, which, come the thing of it maybe i shouldn't have. but, trying to apply equal pressure so it stays square and applying the pressure long enough to get a good bite seems to be eluding me.

the pipe vice i'm using is holding the pipe horizontal and it's about crotch level. i did one short piece that i was able to place in the vice vertical and use my body weight to get the die to bite. it wasn't pretty, but i got it to work. there's no way i can place this piece of pipe vertical, i barely got the other piece cut. it was quite an ordeal.

ideas and/or suggestions???

thanks much

Unread 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've always used a pipe threading machine

I dont see why it cant be done as you describe though. Maybe the pipe OD is too big. Remember pipe sises dont match up to standard thread sises.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's the right diameter, bought it brand new at lowes. The dies says 1/2 NPT and on the short piece I cut the fixtures fit. Is just getting a clean, square bite that's a bear.
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

a few things to check. Most Pipe dies i have used are adjustable, maybe yours is adjusted too tightly making it too small to start correctly.

2nd, and possibly a stupid question, are you sure you are starting it the correct way? being pipe thread, it is tapered so it will only start one way to get the taper on the threads

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

no prob up'd, never to proud to have someone ask/question what one would think is obvious. i have a wonderful gift of overlooking it quite often.

i've tapped and die'd lots of stuff before, but much smaller stuff. like i said earlier though, i was able to cut threads in a much shorter piece because i had it vertical in the vice and was able to use my body weight to help keep pressure on the pipe/die. it seems that the die will start to cut but without enough pressure to keep the die cutting the early part of the bite just strips the pipe smooth.

and this is a die that is in a wrench, it's not adjustable.

thanks for the ideas.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pipe is sized by I.D. not O.D. If you want pipe that is 1/2" O.D. you need to buy 3/8" pipe.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

hmmm. layback thanks.

so...i'm prob using the wrong size die. well...that would explain why it's so dad gummed hard to get started. tomorrow i'll take a look at the OD of the pipe because i'm definitely using a 1/2" die.

thanks much.
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

put a micrometer on the pipe this morning and it's showing .84. so...what size die should i use to cut this thing? i'm using the type of die you would use in a tap and die set for bolts and such, not a pipe cutting die that you put on an elec thread cutter.

thanks layback, like i said in an earlier post i'm pretty good about missing the obvious.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

does the die say 1/2" NPT, or something like 1/2-13? i highly doubt you have the wrong die, if it is a regular bolt die, you would never even get it started.

we have manual pipe dies at work and use them often but never had any issue starting one. all ours are self aligning and only take a little pressure to get them to bite and start threading.

could you post any pics of what you are using? might be able to spot something you are missing maybe.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
does the die say 1/2" NPT, or something like 1/2-13? i highly doubt you have the wrong die, if it is a regular bolt die, you would never even get it started.

we have manual pipe dies at work and use them often but never had any issue starting one. all ours are self aligning and only take a little pressure to get them to bite and start threading.

could you post any pics of what you are using? might be able to spot something you are missing maybe.
The O.D. on his pipe is about .84" which makes it a 1/2" pipe I would guess. He needs to use a 1/2" NPT die or he is in for some serious grief!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ok...lemme go back and see how in the heck to post a pic. be back soon.

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madduck00/8694711958

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ok, i've downloaded the pics into flickr. don't i copy and paste the link info into the pic window that opens up here?
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thanks layback, i'm trying to get the pic to show on the forum to make it easier for those reading this. i've done it before but it was a while ago. and i know flickr changed the way you posted pics to 'make it easier.' just don't do this often.

thx

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.