How to attach mount points on c channel cj7 "bumper"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > How to attach mount points on c channel cj7 "bumper"?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

How to attach mount points on c channel cj7 "bumper"?

Hi guys. I am not totally sure if this is a good place to put this but I am looking for help on how to create mount points for the rear end of my '83 CJ7. I bought it a few months ago and have been prepping it for a Moab trip next week and realized that I don't have any mount points to attach a tow strap to in the back. The PO did a couple funky things, the "bumper" is c channel that has been welded to the frame and then he welded a couple small tubes to act as coupling for support bars for a stock spare tire cooler rack.

I know I need to attach whatever to the frame but don't know how or what to use for this. I am planning on buying new bumpers in the to so distant future but need to spend the $ on other things first. I am willing to cut into the c channel to get to the frame but need to leave it on for now for legal reasons. I will probably cut the coupling tubes off regardless since I will never use the rack they were for.

Please help me with any ideas on how to tackle this. I really just want a way to mount a d shackle in the back "just in case." I am a noob, I borrowed a buddies harbor freight welder for another project and it was basically the first time I welded anything that wasn't just dicking around. For this reason I don't know that I am comfortable welding anything to the frame that needs to hold. I can pay someone to do it and I am not against trying to locate a metal shop to help fab something up. I just need ideas as to what that should be.

Here are pics of my setup. (they were too large to post directly here.)

Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Because I don't know how well that "C" Channel is attached, I'd probably avoid adding clevis mounts to it.

Maybe cut rectangle holes thru the "C" Channel so it lands just outboard of the frame rails. Slide in a piece of 1"x2" bar stock and drill it to catch the 2 holes in the side of the frame rail. You could then weld that clevis mount to the bumper.

By bolting thru the frame, and welding to the "C" Channel, it would be safer than just welding to the "C" Channel by itself.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I guess I could have said that I didn't want to do anything directly onto the C channel because I don't think it is very think or was attached particularly well. I'll have to look closer to see if there are uniform holes through the frame so I could implement your idea.

Thanks.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tonight I made a little bit of progress on this project. Rather than try and cut a channel for the bar stock I just chopped of the ends that stuck out past the frame. It only ended up being about 6" or so on both sides. So a question I have now is about attaching the bar stock to the frame. I am planning on using the two holes that are in the frame now. By using these two holes for the bolts do I need to also weld the stock to the frame. I would think not and dont want to since this is something I see temporary until I get the $ to buy a real bumper. Also, Is there any issue getting bolts that will go completely through the frame rather than trying to fish nuts inside?

Last question tonight, by bolting the 1x2 to the frame and having it extend past the remaining c channel is that something that is good enough to hang a d ring off of? Should I be adding something else to the end of it?

I'm a complete moron and obviously don't know what I'm doing. I appreciate any help you all can give. Thank you.

Edit to add picture: I am thinking something like this a little longer with two more holes that I would put bolts through.
cimg9920medium.jpg  
Utah Jeep Crew #178

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.