Homemade Rock sliders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Homemade Rock sliders

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Homemade Rock sliders

I'm planning to make some custom rock sliders, seems like everyone uses round or square tube for theirs, I'm trying a different approach and am going to use plate. I know it's probably going to be on the heavy side vs round tubing but I like to be different. I have just one question, since this is going to be my first time making any body armor... To attempt to cut down on weight I'm thinking about going with 1/8" steel for the bulk of it, would it be able to take the impact of rocks? I will be using 3/16" or 1/4" for the braces to tie into the frame, but at almost 8 lbs a square foot for 3/16" plate I got a feeling my poor suspension won't like the whole thing made from it. IF, key word IF, my math is correct, each side will weigh in around 61 lbs with the mock design I have now using 3/16". Using 1/8" they'll each be around 46 lbs. Is the weight cut worth the integrity loss?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?

DuckRunner

Last edited by DuckRunner09; 04-28-2013 at 10:28 PM..
DuckRunner09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

'i'd like to see how you plan on using plate. are you planning on welding it together to make a box from it?

the issue is plate is its thin profile, only providing strength on 2 axis, leaving the 3rd main axis with little support in just a plate from depending on its orientation.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

depends on what you call rocks.....But I know 1/8 would be worthless here. Jk is an Elephant in the rocks. The Jk has an odd shape as well on its rocker panels. If you look its not straight like a Tj or Cj. It curves a bit. For the trouble unless you have a nice shop to fab these up. You can get some formed ones from Genright , Nemesis or PSC. even in alloy or steel.

a 4D needs to be very well built they are longer and more of a Elephant then its baby brother 2D.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm going off the geometry of triangles are stout shapes theory on this one. It's a two door, 56 inches of total rocker to cover and if I stick with this design it'll basically look like a lot of the rear high clearance bumpers I see except on the side. I spent another couple hours just staring at it this afternoon and now there's a million ideas racing through my head.

Either way, 1/8" would be pretty worthless I guess? I might just bight the bullet and take the extra weight and do it right and go 3/16". Buying rock rails is just out of the question for me... I grew up in a welding and auto shop so my daddy raised me to believe don't be like the next guy and give the big man your dollar when you can make it yourself! Plus it's more fun this way and I know I'll end up with something unique to my jeep if I build my own.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09 View Post
I'm going off the geometry of triangles are stout shapes theory on this one. It's a two door, 56 inches of total rocker to cover and if I stick with this design it'll basically look like a lot of the rear high clearance bumpers I see except on the side. I spent another couple hours just staring at it this afternoon and now there's a million ideas racing through my head.

Either way, 1/8" would be pretty worthless I guess? I might just bight the bullet and take the extra weight and do it right and go 3/16". Buying rock rails is just out of the question for me... I grew up in a welding and auto shop so my daddy raised me to believe don't be like the next guy and give the big man your dollar when you can make it yourself! Plus it's more fun this way and I know I'll end up with something unique to my jeep if I build my own.

I think you came to the right conclusion regarding the 1/8". I also agree about the fabricating it yourself if you have the gumption to do so. I say that....in alot of cases, you don't even have to have the "right" tools to do it....just a will and a way. I've seen a lot of ugly fab work that just just plain worked. Wasn't pretty...but extremely functional. However...just make sure what you produce serves it's intented purpose. Cheers !
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
I think you came to the right conclusion regarding the 1/8". I also agree about the fabricating it yourself if you have the gumption to do so. I say that....in alot of cases, you don't even have to have the "right" tools to do it....just a will and a way. I've seen a lot of ugly fab work that just just plain worked. Wasn't pretty...but extremely functional. However...just make sure what you produce serves it's intented purpose. Cheers !
Function over fashion IMO. being pretty won't get you any farther down the trail.

i'm definitely interested to see what kind of design you come up with. with such short sliders it would be easier to keep structural integrity. I am a Full size guy, so most sliders i deal with are 70+ inch, heck built some at about 120" for an extended cab truck.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep, have decided for sure it's gonna be 3/16". It'll be a few weeks to a month before I get started on these I'm sure. Getting married in two weeks and the soon to be wife thinks my time and money should be better spent. I think I'll just slip the steel into the garage piece by piece until she notices...
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09 View Post
Yep, have decided for sure it's gonna be 3/16". It'll be a few weeks to a month before I get started on these I'm sure. Getting married in two weeks and the soon to be wife thinks my time and money should be better spent. I think I'll just slip the steel into the garage piece by piece until she notices...
Put it on the wedding gift table signed "your best bud"....
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

That might work actually.... She doesn't have access to my bank yet so she'll never know! You sir, are a friggin genius!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.