Home-made wooden shift knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Home-made wooden shift knob

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Home-made wooden shift knob

Any other woodworkers out there? I'm not but my dad made this for me, basically I gave him the stock shift knob to recreate the shape(but just slightly larger) since mine was all chewed up from prying the stupid shift pattern button off to get to the 15mm nut.

Here are some pics from start to finish:

Started out as a block of wood(duh). This is cherry to be exact.

He cut down all the sides to get it square and clean on every side

It was also cut to an appropriate length prior to this pic, but it was then chucked into his wood lathe:

And here is a sequence of it getting taken down to a workable shape:

Now down to a cylinder, making reference marks:

Shaping it by eye:

Looking close to done:

It was then taken off and retained the extra piece on the "top" of the shifter for a flat spot to be left to make it easier to drill straight down from the opposite side with the drill press:

It was a 3/4" hole:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For the insert I tacked 4 nuts together while threaded onto a bolt(M10-1.5 is the NV3550 shifter thread). Then welded them together and ran a tap through to clean it up after everything cooled. Was originally going to only use 2 but opted for 2 more... sorry no pics of what actually went in. They were epoxied inside with some 2 part Loctite epoxy.

It was then stained with some red mahogany stuff by Minwax... I think the number was #242?

A pic w/ flash to highlight the grains:

The next day my dad applied 7 coats of sealer to it and this is the result... very nice:

And finally installed:

Any of you guys turned your own shift knobs on a lathe?

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome job. That looks killer and definitely one off.
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Mitch11
1997 TJ Wrangler 

holy crap that is awesome, I would love to attempt that with some aluminum and go to town with it, looks good dude.

97 PURPLE Jeep
Mitch11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Tony.. that's really nice!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Awesome job. That looks killer and definitely one off.
Thanks! My dad is really good at what he does, it's cool having something he made on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch11 View Post
holy crap that is awesome, I would love to attempt that with some aluminum and go to town with it, looks good dude.
Thanks! And yes that would be awesome except for in the winter... COLD! I don't think aluminum would be too bad in the sun though. The wood will be nice in both I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Tony.. that's really nice!!
Thanks Eddie! I'll let you take a closer look at it some time after the holidays, I still need a front driveshaft I reckon I'll be ordering some square tubing for that soon, my TJ shafts don't have enough slip in them, don't need to shove my D300 front output through the back of the case

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. As the sealer wears off, the cherry will develop a nice sun-darkened/hand-sweat/life-stained patina that will only add to it's looks. I like the multiple nuts on the threaded rod, that's a good tip for a self-made threaded insert.

The aluminum shifter knob on my heep sucks in cold weather. I don't have a lathe, but all the other tools and plenty of wood scrap. Final shaping can be done by hand. I'm thinking a nice chunk of Redwood Burl will add a little flavor to the tranny shifter.
Thanks for the idea.
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

OP.....Have you had any issues with the knob staying tight? I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to use a jam nut to keep it tight?

FYI you can buy "Barrel" nuts that are essentially extended nuts probably equivilant in length to 3-4 regular nuts.

Another trick would be to take the finished knob to a laser engraver to have shift pattern engraved. Paint the surface in a nice contrasting color. Sand off the paint leaving the color in the recessed engraving. Coat with a good sealer.
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Very nice. As the sealer wears off, the cherry will develop a nice sun-darkened/hand-sweat/life-stained patina that will only add to it's looks. I like the multiple nuts on the threaded rod, that's a good tip for a self-made threaded insert.

The aluminum shifter knob on my heep sucks in cold weather. I don't have a lathe, but all the other tools and plenty of wood scrap. Final shaping can be done by hand. I'm thinking a nice chunk of Redwood Burl will add a little flavor to the tranny shifter.
Thanks for the idea.
Yeah, my dad said that the Cherry will darken with age as it is exposed to the sun as well.

Widdle something awesome out of the Redwood Burl and turn it into a shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadymi View Post
OP.....Have you had any issues with the knob staying tight? I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to use a jam nut to keep it tight?

FYI you can buy "Barrel" nuts that are essentially extended nuts probably equivilant in length to 3-4 regular nuts.

Another trick would be to take the finished knob to a laser engraver to have shift pattern engraved. Paint the surface in a nice contrasting color. Sand off the paint leaving the color in the recessed engraving. Coat with a good sealer.
I haven't had any problems, just screwed it on with some decent force. I think I may add some blue loctite to it to hold it on a bit better, doesn't take a TON of force to remove, but I haven't had it unscrew while driving. The loctite will add just a bit more resistance to coming off.

A jam nut would be nice, but my problem is that the nuts are still fairly recessed into the shifter so there wouldn't be an easy way to tighten it. I could have added another 1 or 2 nuts to my welded nut insert to make it showing but I wanted it to be clean with nothing visible on the bottom.

I've thought about doing something like that... I was thinking more along the lines of finding an old typewriter, taking the "keys" for the 1-2-3-4-5-R, heat them up really hot, and then "brand" the knob with the shift pattern. Use a / or something for the lines between the numbers.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would like to see that
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is nice work. I do a bit of wood turning to make trolling plugs and other lures. Your dad does beautiful work and it looks great in the Jeep. Thanks for sharing.
dwilliamsceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, can you post a shot from the perspective of the driver? In other words, looking down at it from the left perspective.
dwilliamsceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks nice, good work.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliamsceg View Post
That is nice work. I do a bit of wood turning to make trolling plugs and other lures. Your dad does beautiful work and it looks great in the Jeep. Thanks for sharing.

Also, can you post a shot from the perspective of the driver? In other words, looking down at it from the left perspective.
Thanks for the nice comments! I'll take a pic from the driver and passenger seats. As of right now, the first "finished" shot of the knob above is basically facing the 12 o'clock position. The grain is very nicely visible for the passenger, especially when in a 2/4/R gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
Looks nice, good work.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
i would like to see that
I think it would look awesome with a branded shift pattern, but I really hate the idea that I could screw it up. We'll see what happens.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
TJQ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have an architectural woodworker in the family. He's made some cool things but never a shift knob. Nice work and choice of wood.

Now you need to carve out a matching steering wheel. lol
TJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.