Home Made Slide Hammer or Something To Get The Job Done - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Home Made Slide Hammer or Something To Get The Job Done

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Reply
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
GreenJip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 548
Home Made Slide Hammer or Something To Get The Job Done

I have some stubborn bearings in an 8.8 that I can't get out. I rented a slide hammer with a 3 jaw puller from Auto Zone and the jaws were so wore down that the slide hammer pulled the jaw clean out leaving the bearing behind.

Has anyone succesfully made a slide hammer or some sort of tool that will accomplish the same task (pulling axle bearings)?

Mods, please move this if I am in the wrong forum section.

__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)


8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-8-swap-into-tj-build-thread-501704/
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
jason m
Moderator
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 2,955
i will post up pictures of the one i made later. but to help you get started i used a 8'' long piece of 1 1/4 SCH80 pipe as the handle that's used as the slide. two 1'' thick end's welded to the pipe, with two 1'' holes drilled in the 1'' thick ends. i then took a piece of 1'' thick X 24'' long piece of solid round chrome molly bar stock and welded another 1'' thick end cap on one end and a 3'' long x 1.5'' thick threaded end on the other. the threaded end is 3/4 x 16 thread so any time i need a speacial tool i could start with a new bolt.

its great always get's the job done and cost me nothing to build. i even made my own 3 jaw puller to attach to it, but my dad has that on his puller, witch is the same as mine. i will post a picture, jason.
__________________
1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
GreenJip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
i will post up pictures of the one i made later. but to help you get started i used a 8'' long piece of 1 1/4 SCH80 pipe as the handle that's used as the slide. two 1'' thick end's welded to the pipe, with two 1'' holes drilled in the 1'' thick ends. i then took a piece of 1'' thick X 24'' long piece of solid round chrome molly bar stock and welded another 1'' thick end cap on one end and a 3'' long x 1.5'' thick threaded end on the other. the threaded end is 3/4 x 16 thread so any time i need a speacial tool i could start with a new bolt.

its great always get's the job done and cost me nothing to build. i even made my own 3 jaw puller to attach to it, but my dad has that on his puller, witch is the same as mine. i will post a picture, jason.
Looking forward to pics. Thanks for the reply.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)


8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501704
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
jason m
Moderator
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 2,955
the puller is painted red, pretty straight forward.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/420willys/ . jason.
__________________
1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
GreenJip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
the puller is painted red, pretty straight forward.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/420willys/ . jason.
Well, thats pretty much a homeade slide hammer. Thanks for showing me.

Is a slide hammer the best or only method to change out 8.8 axle bearings?
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)


8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501704
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
jason m
Moderator
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJip
Well, thats pretty much a homeade slide hammer. Thanks for showing me.

Is a slide hammer the best or only method to change out 8.8 axle bearings?
never worked on an 8.8, but if its like any other axle yes a slide hammer is the best method in my opinion to remove the outer bearings. i made it becasue the old willys jeeps my dad and i bolth had we couldn't get the hub off the two piece axles in the rear. so i made this thinking it would be usefull for that and other things, worked so well my dad wanted one for his own use. post up some pictures when your done, jason.
__________________
1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
GreenJip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
never worked on an 8.8, but if its like any other axle yes a slide hammer is the best method in my opinion to remove the outer bearings. i made it becasue the old willys jeeps my dad and i bolth had we couldn't get the hub off the two piece axles in the rear. so i made this thinking it would be usefull for that and other things, worked so well my dad wanted one for his own use. post up some pictures when your done, jason.
I guess I am going to have to break down and buy one. I would have to buy some of that stuff to make one anyway and I don't have immediate access to a welder. You can see my progress by following the link in my sig. Thanks again for showing me what you made.
__________________
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)


8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501704
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.