home made hard tonneau with pics and info.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > home made hard tonneau with pics and info....

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
under_psi

home made hard tonneau with pics and info....

well, to preface this build write up, i would like to say that i have wanted a hard tonneau for a long time. here is what the cali tops one looks like if you are not familliar....

i REALLY like the one that california tops offers, but b/c of the astronomical $$$ and terrible customer relations, i chose to pass....

what i did was look at his design and try to make what i thought would be something functional...one reason for this is easier access. another reason is that i feel like i have out grown my tuffy security drawer and need a little more space than it alots. (also, i needed to get to my tools on the trail in hot springs 3 weeks ago and could not let my PSC stinger all the way down and open my tailgate b.c i was b/t a rock and a hard place.... :shush: )

we staretd by removing my tuffy security drawer, and relocating my 2 sony amps to the top of the rear fenderwells from their previoous home on opposing side of my sony sub. one reason for relocating the amps was i needed more room in the back and we pushed my sub box further forward, thus i did not want the amps being vulnerable to behind the seat debris that can accumulate.

with the sub box pushed up to my liking, we began thinking about how to add a support/hinge piece for the hard tonneau itself to attach to....

we came up with a cross brace that is wedged flush b/t the sides of the tub right against the front of the sub box. we cut it down and test fit it. after the test fit, we notched it so that it would not interfere with the sub in any fashion, and attached it in place. we used some 2" 'L' brackets at the tub and also put some flat 'L' brackets at the top of the 2x4 attaching it to the sub box. for good measure, we also ran about 6 2.25" wood screws through the brace into the sub box.

here is what it looked like at that point....

and painted...notice the upper flat 'L' brackets......

from there, we simply measure the dimensions of the tub from side to side and about 3" back from the main hoop to teh tailgate.....

we then took some measurements from the interior side of the roll bars and on teh outter edge of them as well....this was to make the notched so that the hard tonneau would lift properly and not be interfered with by the slant in the rear bars....

first cut and test fit...

some paint on it....

after it was fit to my liking we place some standard door hinges across the brace/main support and and made sure that it lifted properly without any interference.....YEA! no issues...

now to the best part.....i really wanted a 'stealth' look to this and it sure turned out that way....

why?

b/c my bestop soft toneau cover fits over it just perfectly.....who'd a thunk it?

here are some pics after we rounded the edges and fith teh tonneau on.....

that is it....about $50 in supplies and vuala....hard tonneau in a few hours work....

i would like to giev a big thanks to tweba99 for his assistance....he cut most of the wood, i guess he likes wood, but hey, that's him.....anyways...thanks again....

**the 'finishing' touches have not been done as of yet...i am going to cover the wood in fibergalss resin this weekend and then use some adhesive to stick the bestop tonneau to it so that it does not flop around in the wind....the plastic runners on the bestop tonneau that tuck under the new cover will be screwed in place, and i also have a cartridge style truck tonneau cover lock that i got to secure the top down to keep unwanted peeps from getting in......***

What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Poseidon17

$50 vs. $219 for this:

Nice job, DIY rocks
Unread 04-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
JeepnJames

That looks awsome.
JeepnJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
gUanoTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Brilliant!
gUanoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
yjing

hmm... any ideas on how to do this for the old YJ style bars? awesome work though

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #360[/COLOR]
yjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
abstractjeep

awesome job. i've got something almost exactly like that. except i found out that my soft top hardware wouldn't fold down because of it, so i had to cut it narrower and then screw in a few 2x4's to frame it then i bolted those to the rollbar. now i've got a hard tonneau that will allow my softtop to fold down! i also braced mine down the middle so i have two compartments in the back.....also adds sturdiness so i could dance a jig on it and not worry about it bowing or breaking. love the soft tonneau covering it. that's a great idea!!!
abstractjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome job! You should create a graphic with exact dimensions of all the cuts and size! That would be a help to folks.

Although Cali-Top Tim is a crazy, demented fu**er, the diamond plate trim is nice in that first photo.

Again: Great job!

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
under_psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss
Awesome job! You should create a graphic with exact dimensions of all the cuts and size! That would be a help to folks.

Although Cali-Top Tim is a crazy, demented fu**er, the diamond plate trim is nice in that first photo.

Again: Great job!

i was going to go th eherculiner route with the aluminum border, but having to buy and or source the aluminum to make it look good seemed to be a little tough....i was stoked when we put the bestop duster on.....i like the way it looks more like i am simply running a bestop tonneau/duster than a flip up style hard cover....

thanks for the comments guys....
What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #9
Muddeprived

That's exactly what i've been thinking of lately. I wanted to incorporate a rack on top of the hard t-cover to throw some shi$ on and all my tools, spare parts, and crap go unde the cover. Only difference is i want it to work with the full soft top up.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #10
under_psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
That's exactly what i've been thinking of lately. I wanted to incorporate a rack on top of the hard t-cover to throw some shi$ on and all my tools, spare parts, and crap go unde the cover. Only difference is i want it to work with the full soft top up.
that will work, you will have to notch to fit the soft top hardware....i used to have an olympic mountaineer rack but have since out grown that too...i am goig to put the large Kilby engineering rack onto the tonneau now.....
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did the same exact thing to my CJ (minus the hinges) except I covered it with black vinyl and had some carpet cushioning under it. It looked good but no where near as good as yours. Great Job!!!
Unread 04-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
whitefiesta

i did something similar a while back

[QUOTE=CTLiberal]hey everyone i'm new on this sweet forum and live in Connecticut..... i bring my Jeep to construction sites and dirt roads alot so i know how to drive a jeep offroad..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=romperXJstomper]i got the d44 from a guy on CTliberals [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tealcherokee] only the retards run radius arms[/QUOTE]
whitefiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty good, I was thinking of doing something simular, but went in another direction.

Since my back seat is out I pulled my rear belts a while ago. I want some sort of storage, but alway want it easily removable, because I'll only probably run it for trips and trail rides. I really like the Olympic Mountaineer Rack, but not the price tag.

So I set out to do my own simular setup. I purchased two 3 ft pieces of 1-1/4 x 1/8" angle iron from Lowe's for around $15. I originally wanted square tube, but all they had there was about as thick as a post-it note. I used a hacksaw to cut a notch 2" from one end of each piece, then bent the end to a 45 degree angle and welded it back together. Drill a hole, and now it bolts straight to the lower rear seat belt mount on the roll bar. Up front I drilled 2 holes and used a pair of 2-1/8" muffler clamps to secure it to the roll bar. Now I have 2 sturdy rails on each side of the Jeep to provide a solid mount for a rack. I stood on each of these and they don't flex much. So if one can take 180 pounds of me, the pair should handle anything I throw on there.

All that's left it so drill some mounting holes and either make a basket or buy something like Bestops Universal Rack Tray. I'll probably make my own, but I need to find a steel supplier around here, Lowe's doesn't have crap! And once the basket is pulled (which will be 4 easily accessed bolts) these stay out of the way.

PS - if you want me to quit hogging your post I can move this out of here. I just thought it would be nice for people thinking of storage ideas to be able to find them in a single thread.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
BlueJ

Good idea you have there. Did the duster not fit any better though? I know it is a bad question, but I was just curious.

Same stuff as most of ya got. =)
BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
under_psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728

it's all good...good info is good info..

fwiw, the rack that you are making is very similar to the kilby rack pictured below...

it basically mounts in the same spot that you are mounting yours....

this is the same rack that i am buying, however, i will not use the mounting hardware, but instead, fasten it to the hard tonneau itself, and be done...

louis

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.