home made flat fenders(aluminum) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > home made flat fenders(aluminum)

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

home made flat fenders(aluminum)

Anybody made any flat fenders out of aluminum? I feel pretty comfortable about being able to make them except that I've never bent any aluminum tubing. I'm curious if the JD2 will bend aluminum tubing as well as the mild and chromoly tubing...

Guess I need to call the company up and check before I waist any money on tubing... I'm thinking 1.5"OD x x.120 or .188 thickness

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It will bend it I used mine to make some rub rails for my aluminum sliders. I've used it at work to make aluminum handrails for stairs also.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The important part about bending aluminum is the temper of the material. The most common aluminum round tube is 6061-t6511. Which is a 60 series alloy with a t6 temper and artificially aged. In a nut shell, it doesn't want to bend. If you anneal it first (heat then quench in water for aluminum). I will bend well but will no longer have the temper which gives aluminum it's strength and rigidity. I've seen some people get away with bending 6061, but I'm sure if you to a microscope to it you would see lots of tears/cracks. 6063-t5 is what tends to be more readily available and can be bent. It IS considered an architectural alloy, but for tube fenders it will be just fine. That's how I made mine and they have held up well. Haven't bounced them off many rocks yet though. The weight savings are awesome, but they will NEVER hold up to rash like steel ones do. Have fun!!! Aluminum is a blast to work with
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good info above. I have bent 1.25" sched 40 Aluminum 6061-t6 (speedrail) in my protools bender. Was only doing slight bends and not 90*. The first one went fine. The second bend snapped before I got it very far. I forgot to buff the aluminum clean and the oxidation made it bind in the bender.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.