home fab roof rack idea..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > home fab roof rack idea.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

home fab roof rack idea.....

I have been looking everywhere for a roof rack similar to the older kargo master congo cage for the TJ but have yet to find anything used in my area. So I am contemplating building/making one from scratch. I want to run my idea by you and obtain feedback on if the material/method will work.

Okay as for the look, it would look almost just like the congo cage, be hingable in the back where the tail lights are, and bolt to the windshield pillar bolts.

Mounting up front, I thought about using a pair of windshield light mounts to do the front hoop with.

Mounting in the rear would be basic flat stock welded to gether with a suspension busihing to reduce the chance of noise in the tilt joint.

The material I propose to use would be standard "black pipe" steel from the plumbing section in any hardware store mainly used for natural gas plumbing.

Method:

I am assuming the little crappy pipe benders you see that are bottle jacks are made to bend this type of pipe. By this type I mean small o.d. pipe or conduit that is steel and can be welded.

I would start by making a front hoop by bending two thiry degree bends in some say 3/4 to 1 inch black pipe and then weld that to the light tabs on the windshield mounts.

I would then start on the back and make a plate that is the same size as the tail light housing but about a half inch tall on the top side. Weld another 2 inch steel plate that goes horizontal to get it away from the body some and then weld in my bushing.
||
|-----|

The above would sint on the bushing (similar to a shackle) and I would then make the rear hoop in a similar way that I made the front. I would then weld two straight bars to the rear bar and I would bolt it in the front.

The purpose of this rack is to huall two rec kayacks about 40 lbs each. I would also like it to be able to support some additonal gear. All in all I would be happy with a 250 lb capacity.

My concerns for this project are mainly the gas pipe and how in the hell to bend it. I can weld in guesstets in the bends to make it strongerif I need too. I have heard that using the bottle jack benders will basically "rip" a hole in the pipe when it bends because of the type of steel it is made out of and it's thickness. I would not think a 30 degree would "rip" the pipe, but it will pull away some of the material making it weaker in the bend. I have also heard it is easy to crush pipe with this type of bender. Any info on actual use of this style bender will be greatly appreciated.

I'm working on a sketch-up design, but it won't help much because it looks so much like the cargo master. Please help me out with some feedback I appreciate it.

here are a few images of what I want it to look like. The only difference is that the windshield is going to be slopped instead of straight as it looks in the design. I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions. Thank you!
Top View

rear corner

front corner

Last edited by jclaudii; 08-22-2007 at 12:19 PM..
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, what program did you use for that? I am gona have to design a rack to carry canoes.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

250 lbs isn't a whole lot and black pipe is heavy. even 1/2" schedule 40 has an OD of about .8 and walls close to 1/8". you're talking about close to 1 lb/foot of material. i would look into something like 3/4" dia, 1/16" wall round tube. weighs less than .5 lb/ft and you would probably be able to bend it with an EMT bender fairly easily. it should easily stand up to 250 lbs.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

The program I used is called sketch-up and it is free by Google. I have downloaded some extra librarys for it. Just play around with the tutorial some and it is fairly easy to crate something. The libray I got was the Mechanical libray wich has the correct sizes for all things like pipe, washers, spacers, bolts, and nuts.

I did not know black pipe was that heavy. I will look at it further when I am at the hardware store. I'll be back
Unread 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

I have been thinking more and more about building my rack. I am wondering if I was to cut round tube half way with my grinder and then bend it over and weld it what would it look like and would it be very sound? I know you can do this with square tube because all the corners align. I have called all the rental places around and no one rents a tube or pipe bender. We have a dragway and a dirt circle track, you figure one of these rental places would keep a bender on hand. Another option would be to just heat the pipe and bend it (they rent torches). I think I may go with around 1/2 inch pipe because it's cheap enough and plenty strong for a rack.

As for the windshield mounts, how would I bend them to the contours of the windshield? I'm guessing I put it over something similar and beat it with a hammer (using a block of wood so I don't dent it all up).

The cheapest used rack I have found so far is a used cargo master and it would be 300 bucks shipped to me. a new one from quadratec is 279+shipping which comes out to be about 320 bucks. How I wish there was someone close to me in the arkansas river valley area that I could visit and help them out if I could borrow a few specialized tools.

To be continued....
Unread 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii
I have been thinking more and more about building my rack. I am wondering if I was to cut round tube half way with my grinder and then bend it over and weld it what would it look like and would it be very sound? I know you can do this with square tube because all the corners align. I have called all the rental places around and no one rents a tube or pipe bender. We have a dragway and a dirt circle track, you figure one of these rental places would keep a bender on hand. Another option would be to just heat the pipe and bend it (they rent torches). I think I may go with around 1/2 inch pipe because it's cheap enough and plenty strong for a rack.

As for the windshield mounts, how would I bend them to the contours of the windshield? I'm guessing I put it over something similar and beat it with a hammer (using a block of wood so I don't dent it all up).

The cheapest used rack I have found so far is a used cargo master and it would be 300 bucks shipped to me. a new one from quadratec is 279+shipping which comes out to be about 320 bucks. How I wish there was someone close to me in the arkansas river valley area that I could visit and help them out if I could borrow a few specialized tools.

To be continued....
if you're using pipe, why not just pick up an industrial supply cat and get some weld in fittings for most of the bends. ie 90° elbow for the corners, T's, etc. easier and cheaper than buying a bender. then you just have to worry about 2 or 3 bends instead of 20.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

I guess that would work but I was hoping for a few bends and a few welds and be done with it. I'm looking around locally trying to find a bender to borrow. I figure I can either go to that location pay a few bucks and either do it myself or get some hehlp doing it and weld it up at home or just do it all there and pay one fee. The other option is to find a place to rent a bender. Finding a bender to rent is like finding water in the desert, no one has it. I'm not giving up yet.

Wife informed me she wants it to be able to flip over similar to the daves rack. I'm trying to work out a design that won't be noisy and have lots of moving parts to rust. I'll keep everyone posted.
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Long time No Update

I have gotten another idea to hopefully get rid of the problem finding someone to bend some pipe for me.

I was looking at the Garvin Wilderness rack and it is a nice rack. It stands out because it is built out of square tube. I was wondering what size square tube it was built out of and if there are any cons on using square tube? I was also wondering a ball park price. After looking on the internet it seems a36(hotrolled) is the way to go, but I don't know what size. I am guessing 1 inch should be fine but I don't know what the size of ID that Garvin uses either.

I also think square will be easy to make a bend that is decent looking. Much like how the Wilderness Rack is made, I will just use my cut off grinder and notch the tube and bend it and reweld it. This should look decent and be strong.

Please let me know of any flaws you see in my "new" idea. Thanks

Jason
Unread 07-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Okay, it looks like this will work. I called Garvin and asked what size tube they used and they use 3/4 inch 16 gauge .065. I called my local steel yard and that same tube is only $.39 per foot so 20 foot of pipe will run me roughly 8 bucks. I'm going to measure later today how many feet i think I may need and round up a little.

To make the bends I'll just use my grinders cut off wheel and cut the tube on 3 sides and grind what I need to make my angle and re-weld. I don't think I'm going to make a basket yet, but I am going to make mine lower profile than the Garvin one.

So far here is my price sheet
40' of tube..........................$16.00
2' of 1/4 x2.5" plate............$ 3.00
Grinding disks.....................$ 8.00
Welding wire......................$15.00
Hardware...........................$10.00
Paint(and supplies)............$12.00

Total $64.00

64 bucks isn't a bad investment in a rack to haul kayaks
Does it looked like I missed anything I would appreciate some feedback. I'll be using a gasless MIG that I will borrow from a friend.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 07-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
HumanWaffleIron
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cool, let us see it when you finish....I think a cargo rack for my back seat area is next...you gave me some new ideas...steel is a little more here is guess, but thanks for the info...good luck
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

bump to the top. Can't wait to see what you've done.
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii
To make the bends I'll just use my grinders cut off wheel and cut the tube on 3 sides and grind what I need to make my angle and re-weld.
I think grinding it and re-welding will give to harsh a bend and the top of the pipe will flatten out. I would do it like this:

for the front posts you could probably get buy with only a single piece cut to the correct angle on both sides...

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
extreme69
1990 XJ Cherokee 

if you dont plan on smashing it up why not aluminum
extreme69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

kencaz that is what I plan to do to make my bend look nice. As far as using alum. I would love to, but I don't have a welder I have access to in order to weld aluminum. I'm working on taking some measurements. If anyone wants to take measurements of a existing Wilderness rack that would be great. I'll keep you updated.
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Quick question is there any advantage to using square tube (.75 @ 0.065) by it being positioned as a diamond rather than square? I'm guessing it may help with it flexing up and down some, but not much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.