Hints for MIG welding upside-down? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hints for MIG welding upside-down?

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When laying under a rig welding, I wear a leather welding jacket that's buttoned up tight to my neck. I also make sure I have ear plugs in.. last time I welded overhead without ear plugs, a piece of hot spatter flew down my ear and burned me good enough to hurt for 2 days. I could hear the hair burning.. or maybe it was skin? Anyhow.. ear plugs.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

All good suggestions, thanks guys. And thanks for the suggestion on the ear plugs. that's a good idea. I have no idea how spatter made it under my hood while laying on my back last Saturday but it did so I can see it getting into an ear too. I'll be sure to do that the next time.

And a big thanks to John/Ironworker709 for going way out of his way to help me out on another welding project. John, you're one of the really good guys around here. Thank you!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
All good suggestions, thanks guys. And thanks for the suggestion on the ear plugs. that's a good idea. I have no idea how spatter made it under my hood while laying on my back last Saturday but it did so I can see it getting into an ear too. I'll be sure to do that the next time.

And a big thanks to John/Ironworker709 for going way out of his way to help me out on another welding project. John, you're one of the really good guys around here. Thank you!
No problem at all Jerry,this is a Jeep community and Jeep'rs are supposed to be one of the freindliest clans out there and helping each other out..

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
When laying under a rig welding, I wear a leather welding jacket that's buttoned up tight to my neck. I also make sure I have ear plugs in.. last time I welded overhead without ear plugs, a piece of hot spatter flew down my ear and burned me good enough to hurt for 2 days. I could hear the hair burning.. or maybe it was skin? Anyhow.. ear plugs.
At my age..it would be hair..lol

Yes,ear plugs is a MUST for me,i've actualy seen an instance where hot slag rolled into an Ironworker's ear and he ended up with surgery,2 years out of work,and when he returned to work,figured out he coudn't do the work anymore because the busted ear drum messed with his equalibrium,he had no real sense of balance anymore.The docs said he was lucky to be alive,busting an ear drum can be deadly.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
heath2345WJ
2004 WJ 

welding overhead

I actually have spent numerous weekends under the jeep welding just about whatever you can think of. I have found that if you just use normal wire speed and heat and just spot weld, overlaying individual tack welds on top of each other you will have no problems with sagging welds. You get in a good rhythm and will end up with a very professional looking weld with no sacrifice in strength. It is barely slower than just running a bead once you get the hang of it
heath2345WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just welded up some brackets for an oil pan skid and had to weld it upside down on the engine mounts for the first time. I didnt think it was all that hard, just uncomfortable to say the least. Welding mask got in the way more then anything. Almost wish I had some goggles for the parts I wasnt directly under it. I just turned up the juice and used the start stop technique with a little slower wire speed. This will make penetration a little better sense you wont be on it very long.
Im going to try making a bead today using a fast wire speed and narrow bead just to try and make it look a little better for painting.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I just turned up the juice and used the start stop technique with a little slower wire speed. This will make penetration a little better sense you wont be on it very long.

No,,that is actualy backwards,,staying ON a weldmant gets deeper penetration,the start and stop method gets much less penetration than a consistant pass of weld.

Slower wire speed makes the arc higher away from the weldmant,more or less just laying the weld on top of the base plate,less penetration..a proper wire speed will keep the arc into the weldmant where the heat and burn in is needed for penetration of the base plate.

When welding overhead,just place you're body on the side away from directly underneath and keep a watch in front if you're weld,not behind it,this way you see the burn in and fill,seeing what is behind the weld is too late to compensate for mistakes,it's already there...

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #23
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

ya I understand that the start and stop technique will get less penetration, I read in another forum that if you slow down the wire speed a tad it can help compensate for it. Guess the correct wire speed is better so it stays in the weldmant longer?
Ive read soo many different forums on this subject, it seems like everyone has their own opinion.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #24
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's not an opinion,its a fact that the futher away from you're weldmant,the less penetration...a slower wire speed only keeps the wire burning further away....

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Glad to see this topic, I've been wondering how the best way to accomplish this was. I've always just welded faster, with varying results. Mostly, I try to flip whatever I work on over so I don't have to weld overhead, but that's obviously not possible all the time.

Oh, and it's weldMENT. Made me go off googling, wondering if there was some new term I didn't know what was.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Glad to see this topic, I've been wondering how the best way to accomplish this was. I've always just welded faster, with varying results. Mostly, I try to flip whatever I work on over so I don't have to weld overhead, but that's obviously not possible all the time.

Oh, and it's weldMENT. Made me go off googling, wondering if there was some new term I didn't know what was.
Cool!..thanks for the english lessons!

Par for course for a crazy ole hillbilly Ironhead...

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Cool!..thanks for the english lessons!

Par for course for a crazy ole hillbilly Ironhead...
Not trying to be the spelling nazi or anything, but I kept seeing that word, and figured if I was going to do much welding (going to take a CC class soon) I'd go in knowing a LITTLE of the subject material, so off to Google I went......

I do want to thank you for what you do here. I've read a TON of your posts about welding and such, and it's been VERY helpful.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.