Hints for MIG welding upside-down? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hints for MIG welding upside-down?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hints for MIG welding upside-down?

MIG welding upside-down (overhead) is something I normally try to avoid but I had to do more of it yesterday. My problem is that the puddle tends to run down, of course, leaving a big drip shape I have to grind off.

Is it just a matter of turning the voltage down a tad so it's not so hot? The same voltage/wire speed works fine when it's not upside-down.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What is upside down? Do you mean Overhead?

I turn the voltage down on overhead typically, kind-of in-between vertical-up and horizontal position amounts.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I weld overhead at the same heat as a vertical or flat,you just have to kind of stay ahead of the puddle a tad more to let the puddle behind it cool before it drips...it's hard to get the same penetration on an overhead than any other position,so i actualy like to burn as hot as possible on overheads for a good burn in on the base metal.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I keep the same heat/wire speed as horizontal.. I just move a little faster to keep the puddle from falling out.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

same process, just move along quicker.

generally speaking however, when i have to weld overhead, and i have a choice, i stick it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Bigbob

Welding overhead can be tough. The tendency is to lower the amps so it don't run into your shirt sleeve. But actually you need to turn up the heat sometimes to get penetration. Liquid flows downhill and that is true with molten metal! Lay some wet cardboard over you bare feet if you weld that way!

Getting into the right position is key to get a good overhead weld. Sometimes that is hard to do.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on what the others said.
Aslo get some scrap pieces (same thickness of course) and practice welding over head.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
CoryA
1977 CJ7 

practice practice practice, we had to do stress tests in class with our gmaw overhead passes

just go a little faster than normal and like i said before, practice

grab yourself a vice grip and stick a piece of metal up in the air and just start running bead
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, that was all really useful information.

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I was doing overhead welding under my Jeep for the build, I would throw a BUNCH of old beach towels over my arms/legs/everything(I need to get a welding blanket), and make SURE you have something over the TOP of your head and around your neck area... if you don't you'll find out quickly why

I suggest doubling up on the layers in your nether-regions as well... I've had one or two molten blobs get through and singe my boys. For that reason I also don't suggest welding while sitting "indian-style" like a 3rd grader overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tell me about it, I was like "ooh" and "OOOH!" and "YOWSA!!" during Saturday's overhead welding session. I was wearing my welding jacket backwards, cap, etc. to cover me better but the slag was finding every little gap and hole including a few old burn holes in the jacket. My 'boys' have not yet been reached by the slag but it's probably only a matter of time.

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
maxwedge
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try get the right type of wire for it and it wont look like crap and will hold right as far as strength wrong wire is like using the wrong welding rod check into it.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Try get the right type of wire for it and it wont look like crap and will hold right as far as strength wrong wire is like using the wrong welding rod check into it.
Please Enlighten us on what special kind of wire is used for overhead welding that would be different using for horizontal ,vertical or any other...?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx

Last edited by Ironworker709; 09-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: goofed on flat and horizontal..lol
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworker709 View Post
please enlighten us on what special kind of wire is used for overhead welding that would be different using for horizontal ,flat or any other...?
x2
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
cleanslate
1996 ZJ 

I used to be a mechanic on FedEx trailers and sometimes I was required to weld the braces from the landing legs to the steel cross support. Of course I was laying on my creeper looking up at where I needed to weld. They always looked like crap - droops, verry little penetration, etc... I talked to one of my co-workers one day do try to get some tips - he told me to turn the heat up a bunch, turn the speed down a little, pull not push, and move the gun at a pretty good speed. I tried it like that the next time and I got a nearly perfectly flat weld. Excelent penetration, no droops. That is what I would suggest for you to do. And, as mentioned before, practice.
cleanslate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.