High School Jeep Survey - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > High School Jeep Survey

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

High School Jeep Survey

Hello we are students in high school working on our senior year engineering project.We wanted to have a project that pertained to Jeeps (Mostly Wranglers) seeming we both drive Wranglers.We have decided to take on the challenge of creating an automatic Jeep Wrangler top. The idea of the top is that it will go up whenever it rains and the Jeep is in park. It would be great help if you guys could take this short survey for our class.

Thanks from fellow Jeepers

1. On a scale of one to ten how helpful would having automatic Jeep Wrangler Top be?(10 being the highest) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2. Have you ever had your Jeep Wrangler get soaked because you didn’t go out in the rain and put your top up? Yes No

3. Do you see this as being a worthwhile investment and if so how much would you pay for it? $___________

4. Is there anything else that you think the top should go up or down for?

5. Would you prefer this over having to put up the top manually?

6. Tell us a little about your Jeep; what year, aftermarket parts, etc…

Last edited by MaxGaz; 11-15-2013 at 07:41 AM..
MaxGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thus proving that XJs are superior to TJs since we wouldn't need these.

(Seriously a cool idea though)
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply,but you have never been so wrong! Wranglers all day everyday!
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

You keep saying Jeeps but then won't let a cherokee participate, yet you have a wrangler. So is this top for a Jeep or a wrangler?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1. 8
2. Yes, of course lol
3. Not really, to me anyway. It's a cool idea and project, but I don't about marketing it
4. Maybe temperature?
5. I'd prefer to put it up manually, it kind of goes with everything else on my jeep being manual
6. 1999 tj 4.0 ax15, D30 front 8.8rear, 2.5 in lift rustys coils, skyjacker shocks(not permanent), pro comp alloy wheels 33x12.50 MT/R k's, smittybilt XRC rock sliders, BTF front bumper
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you just going to add a moisture sensor to one like this? ...and over ride the sensor when not in park?

http://www.ruggedridge.com/jeep-soft...ted-black.html

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGaz View Post
Hello we are students in high school working on our senior year engineering project.We wanted to have a project that pertained to Jeeps seeming we both drive Wranglers.We have decided to take on the challenge of creating an automatic Jeep top. The idea of the top is that it will go up whenever it rains and the Jeep is in park. It would be great help if you guys could take this short survey for our class.

1. On a scale of one to ten how helpful would having automatic Jeep Top be?(10 being the highest) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

8 (no air conditioning, much cooler with top down in summer)

2. Have you ever had your Jeep get soaked because you didn’t go out in the rain and put your top up? Yes No
Yes - Soft top too much work, so I went with safari top

3. Do you see this as being a worthwhile investment and if so how much would you pay for it? $___________
I see this in the 300-400 dollar range. It also depends on complexity of solution and how "weatherproof" it is.

Be easily removable so you don't kill it off roading on a tree/rock. "easy" to me means about 15 minutes and one average person can do it. It would be ideal if it supported existing bestop softtops

It took me 1.5 hours to "convert" my jeep into rain mode (putting on the soft top) Having an automatic version would make that a less daunting task (and why my jeep just got rained on in the last 2 years.

84 CJ-7 Bestop soft top and full custom roll cage that fits within the soft top envelope.

7. Keep us updated on the project, it sounds like a fun exercise that can potentially turn in to something.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
You keep saying Jeeps but then won't let a cherokee participate, yet you have a wrangler. So is this top for a Jeep or a wrangler?
Sorry about not being specific. Its a automatic soft top for a wrangler. Although a soft top for a cherokee would be awesome im not sure if thats possible.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaTJ View Post
1. 8
2. Yes, of course lol
3. Not really, to me anyway. It's a cool idea and project, but I don't about marketing it
4. Maybe temperature?
5. I'd prefer to put it up manually, it kind of goes with everything else on my jeep being manual
6. 1999 tj 4.0 ax15, D30 front 8.8rear, 2.5 in lift rustys coils, skyjacker shocks(not permanent), pro comp alloy wheels 33x12.50 MT/R k's, smittybilt XRC rock sliders, BTF front bumper
Thanks for the reply!
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
84 CJ-7 Bestop soft top and full custom roll cage that fits within the soft top envelope.

7. Keep us updated on the project, it sounds like a fun exercise that can potentially turn in to something.
Thanks! we will for sure put pictures up of our progress.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
MaxGaz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
Are you just going to add a moisture sensor to one like this? ...and over ride the sensor when not in park?

http://www.ruggedridge.com/jeep-soft...ted-black.html

This is where we got the idea from. Our class project is not to make something brand new. Our teacher wants us to solve a problem that we have no matter if its been made or not. We are going to try to recreate that and add our own stuff to it. Thanks for the reply!
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Sorry about not being specific. Its a automatic soft top for a wrangler. Although a soft top for a cherokee would be awesome im not sure if thats possible.
That's probably best. Not many folks have a roofless cherokee. And Jeep owners like the simplicity of the Jeep and usually don't want any fancy gadgets from the 21st century. Wranglers on the other hand seam to thrive on new gadgetry. You might be on to something!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hello we are students in high school working on our senior year engineering project.We wanted to have a project that pertained to Jeeps (Mostly Wranglers) seeming we both drive Wranglers.We have decided to take on the challenge of creating an automatic Jeep Wrangler top. The idea of the top is that it will go up whenever it rains and the Jeep is in park. It would be great help if you guys could take this short survey for our class.

1. On a scale of one to ten how helpful would having automatic Jeep Wrangler Top be?(10 being the highest) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2. Have you ever had your Jeep Wrangler get soaked because you didn’t go out in the rain and put your top up? Yes No

Ill answer these honestly for you.

1) Id love one... for the right price. Id say it would be a 10 for me. (I CONSTANTLY have the windows out, and I would love to drop the top more, but I DONT want to get the interior soaked all the time).

2) Yes... a few times.

3) Im kinda cheap, but if you could have the whole thing (and top) for around $1500-$2000, I think Id consider it at some point. Im actually shopping for a new top now, and my budget is around $800 MAX.

4) Maybe when the internal temperature reaches a certain point... it could be adjustable per person.

5) I honestly think I would... I HATE having to climb on my jeep to install/remove the top... Im a short guy, so it would be nice.

6) My jeep is an 02 TJ sport, 33" tires, 4" SL, 1.25" BL, RE upper/lower adjustable arms, SYE, and a few other things.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:

Yes

Yes if you have such a vehicle, 200

No

No, automatic tops are cute the first time you use them but manuals go up and down faster.

1981 CJ7 with bikini top. I drive this all year round, the seats are waterproof, no carpets and extra holes in the floor. A tough Jeep does not need a top.

1984 CJ7 with soft top. OK, here it would be nice sometimes to take the top off. The seats are not as waterproof but the water will drain.

So a nice idea to make a current product automatic and if I was a soft roader with carpets and soft cloth upholstery instead of a tough guy with waterproof plastic I would appreciate having it self close and may spend $200 on it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.