Hi-Lift painting advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hi-Lift painting advice

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi-Lift painting advice

Hey guys,

A while ago I got my hands on an old Hi-lift for free...

The thing was jammed in grease & mud so I disassembled it and removed all the mud & grease, and also removed most of the old paint.... Got new pins and now I'm going to paint it, here is the question...

I can take it to powder coating ($$$), or I can buy rattle can paint and do it myself... What would you recommend? I can either buy rustoleum or any other kind of paints, my main concern is to paint it with something that will last long...

The thing has some superficial rust (nothing that can put at risk the safe usage of the jack) that was caused by the removal of the paint and some is in places very difficult to remove with a tool... plus I'm tired of cleaning this thing so ideally the painting should be something that can be applied over the rust...

Any input will be greatly appreciated

98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-tj-norwegian-build-up-605518/
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I'm going to beat gas prices Flintstones style!!
humbertotrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anything that is UV rated will work,i would put some good quality primer on before the paint for a good adhesion.
Unfortunetly the BEST way would be to strip the whole thing to bare metal,then Epoxy primer and rhen paint for the longest lasting job,but unfortunetly TRUE Epoxy primers are a 2 part ,so it would have to be sprayed with a paint gun/compressor.

Any paint job is only as good as the adhesion you get,that's where good primers come into play.

POR-15 is ok.but it must be totaly to metal and very clean,it doesnt bond well to anything else but a metal surface,but anything you use must be cleaned and sanded for a mechanical bond anyhow,just not totaly stripped for some other stuff.

Go with a good etching primer,or even a can of true Red Oxide primer(NOT THE ONES THAT ARE JUST A RED OXIDE COLOR) and then a good UV rated top coat.

After the final finish..you can buy a good silicone or teflon based paint sealer and apply that on it to help keep the paint from drying out in the hot sun in Mexico(i live in southeast Ga i KNOW the big problems of sun baking paints and fading them fast),this also protects it from moisture and mud and will clean easily.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.