Hi lift mount - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
NwoTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Custom hi lift mount

I want to mount the hi lift vertically on the stock bumper. See picture

I have 3/8 thick steel plate. 5 inches wide and lots of length. My plan is to cut a piece the size of the hi-lift base, weld all 4 edges of the plate to the bumper and a bolt through the center. Have 4 holes drilled and boltes welded to the bottom for easy removal and installation of the Jack, just twist some nuts on and go.
Clearance is no issues I was playing with it today a little.

My issue, however. Would this be strong enough to keep the Jack from rocking back and forth? Twisting the bumper with It's weight when driving. It's close to the tail light and he would bust it off if this isn't solid as hell.

Here's a mock up. Gunna relocate the plate to where you see it there, 4 bolts and wire a plate light.

Attached Thumbnails
20170601_123114_1496346551650.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
NwoTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Couple ideas I have if we all agree it won't be strong enough.
Mock up my own crush sleeve from the center bolt, All the way trhoguh the bumper.
Or use said steel plate and reinforce the back side of the bumper.

I've got ambition and the tools required. I'm just not an engineer lol
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 03:33 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Though I still think carrying a HL is nuts, that mount is more nuts. You're better off attaching it to the hood so you can't fold down the windshield, or across the front bumper to reduce your approach angles, but not there begging damage from being a really tall immovable object. In the really old days, decades ago, before I figured out I didn't need one, I mounted a HL inside, across the back from the upper seat belt mounts, since I had no rear seat. It didn't hit anything except my head while trying to get stuff from the back.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
NwoTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't need or anyways want to hemerage hundreds or thousands of dollars at this jeep every time I have a new idea. I'm not worried about the Jack taking abuse or the bumper. Well maybe a little on the bumper, I'll twist and pull the bumper off before the bracket will fail or the Jack fall off iknow this for a fact.
Maybe someone with some recent experience doing such things can chime in on what I should expect, or go over board with this thing right away to save my self the headache.
HL is very much a required tool for me to carry. I have got years with my half tons and used them. Now I can venture off and get into better father lakes then before. If this saves me once it's worth every penny
post #5 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

If I understand your design approach correctly, you are planning to bolt the base of the jack flat to your plate mount, correct? If so, and that is the only place that the jack attaches to the Jeep - it will likely be a rattle trap. As I'm sure you know by looking at the design - the base is not firmly attached to the upright, and moves around quite a bit. If you did the mount to the bumper correctly, I think it would be strong enough to support the weight safely (location not withstanding, to Don's comments above), but not a good approach in my opinion. My guess is that there would be a lot of movement at the top of the jack using that approach. That's why those who do choose to carry a HL usually elect to attached the upright to the mounting point.

Food for thought, anyway. Good luck with your design.

Jeff

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #6 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Triggertx

Here's a thought, mount it under the tire and along the bumper. No need to add all that extra weight up higher on the vehicle. Like Don said, to heck with carrying all that bulky jack around. I don't like to lug around all that weight. Ive got a turbo but still am weight conscious.

As for my suggested idea,

Drill two holes in the bumper. (Lined up with two holes in the jack, spread them out)
Inset two 1/2in bolts (3inchers maybe) from the back side of bumper
Now secure with a bushing of sorts to give offset for the shape of the jack as well as take up the shoulder of a longer bolt or use a bolt wihout a shoulder, add awasher, the jacl a washer, then a bolt.

Done
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Name:  image-2858545927.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  612.2 KB I mounted mine just above the bumper. I keep the base plate in the Jeep, it works great. I had it on the hood for awhile, I didn't like it. It obstructed my sight lines and the extra weight caused the hood to rattle.

1981 Scrambler; Vortec 4.3 / 4l60e swap; 35s; getting close!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Triggertx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhibbs View Post
Attachment 3474090 I mounted mine just above the bumper. I keep the base plate in the Jeep, it works great. I had it on the hood for awhile, I didn't like it. It obstructed my sight lines and the extra weight caused the hood to rattle.
Thats a great place and thats where I mounted mine on both my jeeps. But, he's got a stock rear bumper so no main beam of the swing out spare tire carrier to mount to. As you mention what a horrible place to mount the darn thing, the hood (silly) its also a huge wind catcher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.