Hi-Lift jack installed on rollcage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hi-Lift jack installed on rollcage

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-28-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Seirpin

Hi-Lift jack installed on rollcage

Heres the skinny I got all the stuff from Lowes. You need 2 clamps, I found them in with the chain link fence stuff. They're called tensioning (sp?) clamps. look like this

I also got an assortment of carrige bolts, nuts to fit and washers. I used two 4" long bolts, four flat washers four nuts, two wing nuts, and a few little things I had at home.

I wraped the clamps with tape for a nice snugg fit. I mounted mine a little high because I have a tool box bellow and the lid wouldn't open if I didnt. But take into account if you have a soft top leave room to get it down.

With the clamp taped up I put it on, put the bolt through with one flat washer behind the nut...

I took a piece of PVC pipe I think its 1/2"

I used that for a spacer, slid it over the first nut then put another nut on and a flat washer and another nut and cranked it down..

Thats basically it I used a big fat washer I had laying around to hold it on along with the wing nuts....

Hope this helps.. PM me or send me an E-Mail if you have any questions..

K&N filter, Tornado, Hi-lift jack, Swaybar disco's

85 CJ7 almost bone stock. its my project, In a constant state of modification.
Seirpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
rustyCJ

got a pic of what it looks like mounted, not a close up?
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
chite5b

looks good!

Got any sort of lock on it to keep it from being stolen?
chite5b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
GoTopless

is this thread for me??????????

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Seirpin

Just for you topless, and everybody else that stops by. But you were the insperation (sp?) heres a shot ferther away

I do have it kind of locked up I used a bike lock for now. Its different then this Pic I wapped it very tight you cant get it off without unlocking it or screwing with it for like an hour, even then you still might not get it off.. Im shopping for something different though, maybe one of those big bike locks...

Unread 08-04-2003, 04:22 AM   #6
isezumi00

in an alternate universe were you had access to better parts you prolly could have dont the same thing with alot less overhead in "stuff".

Example: There are heavier guage tension clamps that you could fit a skinny padlock through, then you could have just used pipe section and some rubber washers to keep it snug.

Any way, just a suggestion/observation.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Suggested Modification

I used to have mine mounted that way, but found it to be in the way when I wanted to put something in the back.

I now have it mounted on the center hoop near the floor just behind the front seats. Same setup, but now it's out of the way. Since I've only had to use mine once in over 2 years, I feel it's just as convenient.

The only thing is that my wife and her sisters tend to scrape their ankles on it when they climb in the back seat. They usually learn pretty quickly though!

Tommy

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
GMagana

mine is mounted in a similar fashion but I left the base plate on.

I still used fence type clamps, just a different variety. They were more like "U-Bolts"...
Unread 08-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #9
DanG

nice beats mounting on the bumper and busting your knee walking around it at night
[SIZE=4] [COLOR=red]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=white]Off[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Roading[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
H2RT MEMBER
[color=red] RED JEEP MEMBER #49[/color]
POS JEEP MEMBER #3
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 02:41 AM   #10
Nymisus

ok so this might be a newbie question but what are those used for?? i already have my 33swampers and will be orderiing a 4in lift soon, do i need one, do they help you get up there when offroading???
Herculined, rock it air intake, tb spacer, warn heavy duty front bumper with D rings and 2 KC 150watt Daylighters, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, 1" BL and 1" MML, 4"RE suspension w/dicos sitting on 33x12.5 swamper TSLs on rockcrawler
Nymisus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 07:37 AM   #11
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymisus
ok so this might be a newbie question but what are those used for?? i already have my 33swampers and will be orderiing a 4in lift soon, do i need one, do they help you get up there when offroading???
well it is a hi-lift jack so it is used to jack up your jeep and yes you probably will need it cause your regular jack wont go that high........they are very dangerous though so only use them if you absolutley have to..........what kind of wheeling do you do?

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #12
rustyCJ

wow GMagana. that hi-lift sure is red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTopless
........they are very dangerous though so only use them if you absolutley have to..........
a hi-lift is a "tool". like any tool if not used properly they can be dangerous. if proper pre-caution is taken while using them they can be just as safe as any other jack. you will also find the hi-lift works for a lot of things other then just jacking up your jeep to change a tire.
Unread 08-14-2003, 07:19 PM   #13
CLB

I've heard alot about how hi-lifts are dangerous but no one ever goes into detail, im gunna have some 34's on my xj pretty soon and im gunna need to purchase one but with all the dangers i kinda wanna read about them, any articles or does someone wanna do a write up?
6.5" Rustys, RR Adj Trac Bar, RE Adj UCAs/LCAs, DT3000, M.O.R.E steering box brace, Rancho steering stabalizer, custom cone intake, Poweraid TB spacer, home-brew roof rack, lights everywhere, +10 HP Jeep Seatbelt pads, hole in the fender from previous snorkel, plus a lot more crap
[COLOR=red]RJC[/COLOR] #42

[B][URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286688789&code=9974543&mode=invite&cmp=EMC-IS_other&creative=album-invite]Old XJ pics[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
CLB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #14
Seirpin

Like has been said before, they're only dangerous if not used properly. Their wobblie, you should allways chalk the wheels so it doesnt roll. You really are only supposed to jack up one wheel at a time. I've had mine up just in the drive and if you try to jack up the back and your just a little off center it will go up and start tipping over then fall droping the Jeep back to the ground. Just read the directions that will help, and remember that the Hi-lift jack is wobbile on solid flat concret when you throw in uneven sand or mud/dirt it sure doesnt' help.... HTH, They really arent as bad as people make them out. You just need to respect them or they can take your head off...

Unread 08-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
GMagana

Even more than the obvious tilting, watch out for the handle. I always tell people to use both hands cause I've seen the handles break free and swing up or down with enough force to take your head off. It will come with instructions and you can also check their web site for more info...

and YEAH, I took that pic when I had just bought that thing and they had just started using that new powder coat. Unfortunately it don't have that same purdy look nomo...

Last edited by GMagana; 08-18-2003 at 09:42 AM..
GMagana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.