HF welder rewiring qustion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > HF welder rewiring qustion

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

HF welder rewiring qustion

Hey guys

Just got a 90 amp welder from HF. It was 89 bucks I couldn't control myself. It's rather nice for small projects and once you put a decent wire in it lol. The only thing is I'm not crazy about the constant flow. I was wondering if there's a way to rewire the welder to only have current flow when the trigger is pressed. Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance

Yury

Unread 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Hey guys

Just got a 90 amp welder from HF. It was 89 bucks I couldn't control myself. It's rather nice for small projects and once you put a decent wire in it lol. The only thing is I'm not crazy about the constant flow. I was wondering if there's a way to rewire the welder to only have current flow when the trigger is pressed. Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance

Yury
I wish I still had the transformer and lower half of my old 90amp HF welder to look at. I would guess the best way would be to wire some type of heavy duty solenoid into the power line, and tap into the trigger control wires to control the solenoid in adition to the wire feed motor.

I also know that the HF line of welders are quite popular to mod, being they are so cheap. You could try google searching "cold tip HF 90amp" or something like that.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles

I wish I still had the transformer and lower half of my old 90amp HF welder to look at. I would guess the best way would be to wire some type of heavy duty solenoid into the power line, and tap into the trigger control wires to control the solenoid.
I was thinking something on the same line. Just don't know how to go about it safely.
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Ok Guys here you go. This diagram is "scavanged" so it looks a little un-refined from my battery mig thread here.
You can see more diagrams so you can get the idea.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/h...79/index2.html

As far as soleniod a constant duty 12v starter solenoid will work just fine. (29volts gets halved and looses 1.4 volts, so halved is 13.8 volts DC or so)

You also need a rectifier (I recommend around 5 amp+) and a capacitor. Just buy the biggest one you can find at radio shack and you will be fine. Probably about 5-6 dollars at radio shack

See attached diagram (that was slightly re-worked the capicator has nothing to do with the motor speed control)
hf-colt-tip.jpg  
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.