HF welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > HF welder

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

HF welder

Has anyone used this welder before?
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...r-header-68885

Or this one from northern tool
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2691_200332691

DirtRider1357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a very small amount of experience with the Northern unit. Its adequate and Northern Tool is prevalent and widespread. Also Tweco parts is nice. Would opt for a 220V model though.

Don't bother with Harborfreight welding junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider1357 View Post
I have the Harbor Freight one you linked to. I picked it up about 5 months ago and have just been learning the basics.

I know lots of people scoff at the brand, but it has been a fantastic first welder for me. I didn't want to spend the dough on a more expensive one since I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy welding as hobby. Turns out I love welding, and will probably upgrade in the future, but I have been really happy with it. It was easily worth the money I spent...I walked out the door with absolutely everything I needed to lay my first beads for under $350...

Like most HF products, there are a couple small mods you can do to improve the tool from the state you bought it in. I documented my mods on another forum: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=236821
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Forgot to mention, the Harbor Freight unit is a 220V and needs a 30amp circuit. Make sure you have a sufficient power source in the vicinity of where you will be making smoke. It has a 50 amp plug that is different than most standard dryer outlets, so you may need to make an adaptor/extension cord...easy and cheap enough to do but it was one thing I didn't anticipate. Also, if I was doing it again, for an extra 80 bucks, I'd bump up to the 180 for the additional heat settings and slightly more juice.
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Outsydr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is the budget welder I recommend been using it myself for over 2 years has been 100% problem free can be run off 220 or 110 maxes out at 1/4" has the adapter to run either big or small spools of wire, regulator for adding a shielding gas tank is also included. Is it one of the big 3? No. Would I trust it for frame or bracket welding? If I was more experienced and knew more of what to look for maybe but short answer for a learner ... No. (I wouldn't trust any 110 machine for that stuff but that's just my opinion) but the reviews were good across the board and their no questions asked 30 day return/3 year warranty coupled with the affordable price sold me. (link is their ebay store for some reason it is $20 cheaper and free shipping on their ebay store vs their actual website)

My first welder purchase was that HF machine utter garbage wish I had listened and never done it yes there are people that mod them to make them passable for some things but I wanted a welder I could just unbox and count on to do it's job this eastwood machine is close enough in cost I wouldn't waste time looking at the HF stuff (again, just my inexperienced self taught opinion)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Eastwood...8679b9&vxp=mtr
Outsydr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
03ranger4oh

When it comes to welding equipment, or any shop tool for that matter you get what you pay for. If you buy a $300 machine, it will act like it. Knowing what I know about welders I wouldn't spend less than $800 or $900 on a new welder. I'm partial to the DVI welders because of the flexibility. That may sound overkill to some people but having certified and welding for a while it's just the way I am.
03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.