HF 14" cut off saw opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > HF 14" cut off saw opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
82Renegade
1982 CJ7 

I've had that same HF model for a year or so now, and its held up well. As noted above, for anything more than angle or flat bar its not very accurate. Takes forever to get through anything thick, the grinder with a cutoff wheel is much faster.

82Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Probably should have asked before buying, but like I said, I needed it pretty quickly didn't want to spend a lot on it, since I won't use it much.

I did use it yesteray to cut the 2" angle iron and it works OK. Once the saw gets up to speed, the blade has a slight wobble, so it ends up grinding out a fairly wide groove before it starts to cut. I did buy the "better" blade which I think is for a gas saw.

I found that if I just tap the switch a few times to get the wheel moving while it's on the metal, that alleviated the wobbling problem and my other cuts came out good. Thanks for the input. I'm sure it will sit in the bow for another year until I decide to do anything with it.

I got both supports welded up this morning and they turned out good.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackmaster View Post
I love my plasma cutter.With a guide and steady hand you can make some nice cuts..
And that sells for how much?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
mountainpoo
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i use a dewalt chop saw at work to cut duct frames. it cuts pretty straight.
cragar soft 8's 4" BS
31x10.5 R15 cooper discoverer stt's
homemade snorkel
mountainpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

We had a Milwaukee chop saw when I worked in a fab shop. The blade would heat up quite a bit and would end up making the cuts uneven. Most of the time we could just tack them and weld over the gap. Also note that the stuff we were building was for industrial applications and most of it sat outside, so none of it had to be dead nuts square, like if you were building on your jeep or in your home.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #21
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was working on a supplemental counter top support that we're having a piece of granite installed on. When the guy came to template, he said the existing structure "would probably" be OK, but I wanted some extra insurance against a possible crack. I just cut it a hair long and ground it down. It doesn't have to be pretty or exact, since it will be covered with some wood molding.

The problem I was having with the blade wobbling seemed to be the actual blade and not the motor bearings (which it shouldn't be since the saw is new, but who knows with the quality "made in china" stuff you buy at HF. I thinking a higher quality blade might work better than the one the 4 year old chinese sweatshop employees made.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #22
design311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I made some rock sliders last week and I used my HF saw a lot. I must say, I hated cutting the 3/16" steel with it. It made very unpredictable cuts. The blade moves out away from the start of the cut very easily. I will be shopping for a better brand next year some time. Just my 2 pennies

1976 CJ7 ground up resto in progress...
Firefighters Jeep Club
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
design311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
yellojeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by design311 View Post
I made some rock sliders last week and I used my HF saw a lot. I must say, I hated cutting the 3/16" steel with it. It made very unpredictable cuts. The blade moves out away from the start of the cut very easily. I will be shopping for a better brand next year some time. Just my 2 pennies
My DeWalt seems to do the job.

NRA Life Member
yellojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.