herculining my hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > herculining my hard top

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 10-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
V8wrangler_idaho

herculining my hard top

I just finnished hurculining my hard top . Looks great and its deffently quieter in the cabin dirving down the road now. I had a few cracks in the hard top and they are gone now. It was a really easy job only took about 5 hours all together from start to finnish. I bought the herculiner kit but didn;t use the scotch bright pad they sent with it. just grabbed a wire brush and went to town on the hard top. scuffed it up nicely and then cleaned it with some acitone and started putting on layers of the herculiner. really easy and this is how it looks now

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man!!! did you roll or spray it on?
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #3
V8wrangler_idaho

i rolled it on. the gallon thing of herculiner went a long ways. I put about 5 coats on.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
Unread 10-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
T odd's J eep
2012 JK Wrangler 

i like it alot maybe eventually when mine fades. i love the rugged look of that stuff one day i want to do my whole jeep. great job!
Unread 10-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
Brock

I like the CJ top. Did you put UV sealer on top of the Herculiner to keep it from fading? i guess when it fads you could just put a thin layer on. Looks good.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It looks great, though it's probably gonna fade and crack without any UV protection. Any local store should have rattle-can automotive clear coat, either that or polyurethane wood varnish and it should last alot longer.
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! How heavy is that top now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8wrangler_idaho
I just finnished hurculining my hard top . Looks great and its deffently quieter in the cabin dirving down the road now. I had a few cracks in the hard top and they are gone now. It was a really easy job only took about 5 hours all together from start to finnish. I bought the herculiner kit but didn;t use the scotch bright pad they sent with it. just grabbed a wire brush and went to town on the hard top. scuffed it up nicely and then cleaned it with some acitone and started putting on layers of the herculiner. really easy and this is how it looks now

Unread 10-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #8
V8wrangler_idaho

it only added maybe 5 pounds adding the herculiner. thats all the gallon can weights i think 5 or 10.

Unread 10-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #9
mission-inc

Looks good
[URL=http://www.amt.org/scott]My Cherokee Website[/URL]
[URL=http://www.missionrepublic.com]My Clothing Company[/URL]
mission-inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:55 AM   #10
bnewsom

I thought Herculiner was made to be a durable, UV resistant finish. I figured since it was formulated to be used in truck beds, it would already be tough enough without an outer "sealer". Has anyone had a problem with fading or cracking? I was planning on using this product but if it is going to dull and fall apart in the sun, I would be wasting my time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembones
It looks great, though it's probably gonna fade and crack without any UV protection. Any local store should have rattle-can automotive clear coat, either that or polyurethane wood varnish and it should last alot longer.
bnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #11
mission-inc

Isn't the bedliner the sealer...? Seems like that's what they advertise. I think it'll be fine
[URL=http://www.amt.org/scott]My Cherokee Website[/URL]
[URL=http://www.missionrepublic.com]My Clothing Company[/URL]
mission-inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #12
bnewsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission-inc
Isn't the bedliner the sealer...? Seems like that's what they advertise. I think it'll be fine

Thats what I thought but then the message I replied to refered to the need to add a sealer so I was asking if anyone had any "real experience" with this. I don't know if he just "thunk it up" or has had herculiner to fade or crack. I guess people need to be more specific in their post because otherwise they can mislead people with what they think versus what they know.
bnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2003, 10:35 AM   #13
V8wrangler_idaho

i really dought its going to peel or crack in the sun. It might fade and thats what the uv protectant thing is for just to add another shinny layer. Im not really worried about it though. the stuff is pretty tuff.

Unread 10-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #14
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

It looks great now but give it 6 months and it will fade really bad. I have it in the tub and the back is really faded and looks weathered.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
It looks great now but give it 6 months and it will fade really bad. I have it in the tub and the back is really faded and looks weathered.
The parts I've Herc'd have faded and I like it now more than ever.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.