Help Welding rear Bumper on - (with pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help Welding rear Bumper on - (with pics)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Help Welding rear Bumper on - (with pics)

So, I got this rear bumper/tire carrier built and I absolutely love it. When I spec'd it out I originally was thinking bolt on however, seeing that there are only 4 little bolts that hold it on to the frame and the bumper/ tire carrier is heaver that what I want those bolts holding, I need to fix it!

Just after a month of running it and not really even off the road the bumper is starting to wobble because of loosening bolts. So, the only way to cure that is to weld it, right?

So, here's what I have and I need some advice on how to secure it to the jeep's frame. Should It be welded just on the two corners where it's actually meeting seamlessly with the frame and be done with it, or do I have to fabricate another something to fill in the gap where it traverses the frame?

In the third picture you can see where it has a little gap between the frame and bumper, that's my concern. you can't really see it but it opens ip to liek a 1/8" gap after the body mount...

Ugh, I need to do something fast before it loosens up enough and rattles right off the Jeep. That'd be a nightmare!

rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Some grade 8 bolts should hold it on with no problems. But I'd look into getting some frame tie ins rather than just bolting it to that crossmember. Welding it to the same crossmember not going to be any stronger IMHO.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Some grade 8 bolts should hold it on with no problems. But I'd look into getting some frame tie ins rather than just bolting it to that crossmember. Welding it to the same crossmember not going to be any stronger IMHO.
Isn't that crossmember welded to the frame? I believe mine it?

So, you think that a bolt will be as strong as wleding?

I have some grade 8's in there and their rattleing out even with some locktite in them... wouldn't welding the bumber prevent that from happening? I mean bolts wouldn't even be needed....
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The problem is not the bolts it is the crossmember made from "Sheetmetal" that your bolted to. Frame tie ins would be your best option for your situation. I would never weld the bumper right to the crossmember. I would hack off the crossmember and make the bumper the rear crossmember honestly.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
The problem is not the bolts it is the crossmember made from "Sheetmetal" that your bolted to. Frame tie ins would be your best option for your situation. I would never weld the bumper right to the crossmember. I would hack off the crossmember and make the bumper the rear crossmember honestly.
Rusty,

so what you're saying is to remove the bumper, and the rear body mounts and grind off the existing crossmember; then weld the bumper direclty to the driver and passenger sides of the frame? Obviously, then replacing the body mounts.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

x2 - get some frame tie-ins. you don't want to weld a bumper to the crossmember, its still going to bend like it is now. Pull the bumper off, mock up the frame tie-ins in place by bolting them to the crossmember, then weld them to the frame - here's mine:

Bolt holes didn't line up (Jeeperman's for a TJ - before anything LJ came out):

So I had them welded by a muffler shop with a big MIG:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heres what mine looks like...

It is a Jeeperman TJ frame tie in that I hacked and drilled to fit back there and still give enough clearance for when the suspension is flexed and the shackle moves back.
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Most definitely go with the braces. You got 4 bolts on each end of that bumper, or just two?
Mine's gonna have 4 on each end, and braces will be used.
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
coaldigger666
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check out 4wd haedware "smittybilt rear bumper tire carrier swing away" download the install instructions check out the frame tie in brackets the mount on top of the rear frame horns 2 bolts and then bolt to the top of the rear bumper with 2 bolts.....I bought onr for my tj and it came with tj and yj brackets.....yj brackets r yours pay for shipping............pm me.........mike
coaldigger666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still new to welding and need to learn. What’s the difference between MIG and Arch welding? Will one hold on stronger?

I've decided to eliminate the cross member and weld the bumper directly to the frame. But, my only issue is attaching the fuel tank skid. I think I'll have to tack on a part of that old cross member to use the skid mounts.
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are just making more work for yourself than needed. There are thousands of Jeeps out there running tie-in's (mine included) and they work great.

If you must weld, MIG and Stick done properly are equally strong. Both are considered arc welding. Good luck.

DVTJ
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
zachblamercj7
1986 CJ7 

arc welds will usaly have a higher tensal strength but it does depend on the rod used
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachblamercj7 View Post
arc welds will usaly have a higher tensal strength but it does depend on the rod used
usually? not usually. it depends completely on the electrode used. most common are electrodes (referring the GMAW, SMAW, and GMAW) in the 60,000-80,000 PSI min. tensile strength.

technically, all the common forms of welding (for our use GMAW, SMAW, GTAW, FCAW) are arc welds.
j0nesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.