Help!: Stubborn Torx Bolt in ORF Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help!: Stubborn Torx Bolt in ORF Cage

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Field88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Help!: Stubborn Torx Bolt in ORF Cage

I figured you guys in the Fab section have run into this problem a lot...

"Off Road Fabrication" has a 'nice' bolt-on sport cage for the cab, sure, but in the process of installing it I ended up breaking a torx bolt...sort of...on the windshield mount where the stock bars join the central roll cage with the 2 torx bolts that bolt into the winshield.

The head is not stripped, and it swivels around loosely, but it cannot, I mean CANNOT seem to be wrenched out of the hole. When I reverse it out of the hole, the thread seems to catch on something, get stuck, and then go loose again. I probably overtightened it by accident, causing some sort of damage. I tried to pry on it upwards with a flathead screwdriver while reversing it, but that failed. Should I drill it out? I mean, should I hold a vice clamp on it and drill it out? Will that work? Are they hardened steel bolts? Or is there something I don't know?

It's my DD and it's really getting my PO'd.

Thanks.

Field88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Almost all bolts are either case hardened or made from Stainless, which is by nature fairly hard. You don't want to drill it if you don't have to, it will be a major PITA, and you will still have a bolt left in the hole, it will just now have no head and a hole drilled through it's center.

Try to take it out as far as you can with a screwdriver wedging it upwards, then get a pair of vise grips on the head and turn it out while you pull/pry.

You might be able to angle it sideways a little and get the bolt threads to bite into whatever metal is left in the hole as well.

Just keep working at it, if it is just in the sheet metal you may be able to pull it hard enough that the threads that are left in the hole just let go too.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.