Help me figure out whats wrong with my welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help me figure out whats wrong with my welder

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
minesbetter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Help me figure out whats wrong with my welder

i have a millermatic dvi. i dont know much about it bc i just got it from my uncle. So today i was doing some work on building my bumper and i noticed the wire feed was surging instead of keeping a steady flow. then it wouldnt feed at all. then it would feed but not arc.
it started working again for like 5 minutes until i found a bird nest of wire inside. i pulled all the wire out and re fed new wire through. then the bird nest came back. can you guys help me out here? im hoping its not the gun bc i dont wanna spend 130 on a new one.

minesbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How old is it? You may just need a liner my Lincoln acted odd like that when my liner was worn. Like 10$
Bama1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
minesbetter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1987 View Post
How old is it? You may just need a liner my Lincoln acted odd like that when my liner was worn. Like 10$
idk how old it is but I would guess maybe 4-5 years? and thanks but what do u mean the liner?
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I'm not mistaken it is a mig. The liner on mine and should be similar on all mig set ups is a very tight spring looking, flexible tube that gets the wire from the box to the tip of the gun without binding or dragging( which may explain the surging). Mine had a kink and a little oxidation on the inside. Open up your box where the wire goes you should have two wheels that push the wire. Coil your gun lead relatively tight and pull the trigger. Watch the wheels if they keep spinning at a constant speed and the wire stops or slows. I would bet it's the liner. Take the gun off the box unscrew any retainer nuts that hold the liner in pull it out and put the new one in. Mine was pre lubed I'm not sure what kind you will need if not.
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
minesbetter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks alot man. I'll try it tomorrow. you might've just saved me 2 days worth of working
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
bruteboy

where was the birds nest?
if it was between the drive rollers and the liner,then a poor liner or incorrect size tip may be the problem.
if it was around the spool of wire,then you may need to adjust the spool tension(ie;increase drag)
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
minesbetter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

its between the drive rollers
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
minesbetter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok i fixed it. sprayed wd40 into the tip. wire fed right through. theres really nothing it cant fix haha
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbetter
ok i fixed it. sprayed wd40 into the tip. wire fed right through. theres really nothing it cant fix haha
Wd40 isn't an oil be careful with it cause it will dissolve the grease or whatever is supposed to be there and dry up there is a paste, I forget what it's called. But it comes in a tub like vasoline and you stick the tip in it to lube the wire coming through the tip. Man that sounded dirty.... But check into it, will be better for the welder than wd40
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get a new tip if it is catching at the tip. They are "consumables" they are supposed to be disposable. If it has the wrong size tip on it (too small), it could cause that too. Also make sure your drive tension is proper, if the tension is set right the roller should slip on the wire instead of bunching it up in a ball; Your not supposed to crank down the tension.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I change tips out with about every roll of wire (30lb rolls). I also use alot of "Nozzle Dip" and scrape out the inside of the nozzle frequently..

Sometimes, if I feel like I boogered up a tip too soon, I'll remove the nozzle and lightly touch the end of the tip with a flap disk... just enough to clean it shiny.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.