Help Me decide to become a Vendor please - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help Me decide to become a Vendor please

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #61
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

damn that sounds trick!! i could use one of the setups i use for the spare tire swing gate and probably figure out a good setup that seriously sounds epic though welding sitting down, who would of thunk it! thanks for the heads up bersk i appreciate it! what kind of CNC cutter are you usuing? no way i can afford one right now but hopefully sooner than later ill have one up and running, havnt done alot of research on them yet, just read a few threads over on practical machinists forum the things you can build with that looks spectacular. and as far as drilling the over sized holes later i would be doing it in a press or with a mag drill i havnt decided quite how i will do it yet
Do you use slotted holes in all your bumpers? is that something i should start doing instead of just oversizing them? i am curious now.

Really appreciate the kind words guys, should have some more pictures of the jig build up this evening or
tomorrow. and hopefully a functional website by next week sometime. hard to find time to juggle all the stuff going on.

thanks guys

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #62
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I have found that bumpers are generally off on the horizontal plane (side to side) due to frame width differences.

I slot all of my bumpers to allow for this adjustment like I mentioned in a previous post. Weld your brackets on so that the slots are centered in the jig to allow adjustment left and right.

You will find that used front unit bearings are great pre-made assemblies that are very useful when it comes to making jigs that need to pivot. They are especially good to use when welding on DIY bead locks and rock rings. You can stay seated and give the rim a whirl while welding.

They are also very good candidates for spare tire mounting once you cut (or press) the bearing off. You will then have a pre-drilled mounting surface for the spare to bolt on to that even has studs in it. Just knock two of them out and you are good to go.
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #63
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've got a Torchmate 4x4 small shop plasma table with a Hypertherm 1250 and machine torch. It'll cleanly pierce and cut 1/2" plate. I actually sold my old buggy to buy the table (about a year ago).

Prior to that, I was "outsourcing" to a local Laser Cutter who charged me $300hr to laser cut tabs. Granted, he could cut a lot of tabs in an hour but I was still paying about $1300-$1500 for a sheet of 3/16" cut into tabs. Now, tabs that used to cost me $5.00ea, cost me $.50ea

Bought the table last June. Since then, the table has paid itself off and made enough $$$ to go ahead and purchase the rest of the pieces to make it a 4x8 table. I also just picked up the engraver and remote pendant setup for it. Once you have a CNC plasma table, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. In 15 minutes, it'll cut out brackets and tabs that would've taken me all day to do by hand... and make them much cleaner/nicer.

Slotted bolt holes.. the only way to go. I've done them on my mill but it gets really old when you've gotta slot 100 holes in 1/2" thick plate. My plasma table will cut those same 100 slotted holes in about 1/2 hour...

I even lay my 2x4 bumper blanks on the table and use it to cut out the clevis holes and receiver hole.

CNC cutting capability will change the way you look at metal fabrication. If you want to make profit from selling bumpers, a CNC Plasma Table should be one of your near-term goals (like as soon as you can). You can even pick up a 2x2 prototyping table from Torchmate for about $2K.. add another $1500 or so for a good plasma cutter and you can be cutting cheap enough to pay it off in a couple months.

You mentioned not having enough room for some of the bigger jigs and such. You might want to look into leasing a small shop space. Lots of industrial strip malls have shop space that can be had for a fair price. Matter of fact, a few of the shop owners in the strip mall where I'm at actually live in their shops because it's cheaper than renting an apartment. They expand the office spaces and put showers in the bathrooms and live there.

PS... I don't live in my shop..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #64
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

I've been trying to find out all week what it takes to become a vendor here with no luck.
NEVADAGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #65
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVADAGARY View Post
I've been trying to find out all week what it takes to become a vendor here with no luck.
I'd just PM Keith or another vendor.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #66
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
I'd just PM Keith or another vendor.
I did PM Keith...3 times
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #67
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go here and contact them from there....

Advertising

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #68
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Go here and contact them from there....

Advertising
Yep did that too.
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #69
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Try going Here Then scroll to the bottom and click on "Contact Us" and it'll prompt you to fill in some info.

If you don't hear back in a day or two, PM me and I'll post your situation in the Moderator Forum on Monday.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #70
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Well thanks Besrk but I already tried that contact and I have gotten no reply and I also PM'ed Keith a couple of times with no luck.
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #71
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I also sent a message through the advertise here link a couple days ago and haven't heard anything back either.

I'm not in any hurry, but it would be nice if someone actually took the time to say that they at least got the message.
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #72
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Maybe Keith is on vacation.
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #73
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Maybe Keith is on vacation.
Could be out of the net.. I think he handles most of the Vendor Accounts pesonally so if he's away, you would have to wait till he returns or gets back on a computer. I can tell you that he places a lot of importance on Vendor Accounts.. so it's not like he's just brushing anyone off.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #74
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

glad i havnt contacted him yet i would be frustrated! sorry for not getting work done on the JIG this weekend but have been extremely busy during the days getting some prior things built for some people trying to make a little cash so maybe i can get up and going with a CNC plasma here soon. been doing alot of research on those bad boys and well to say the least i feel as if I MUST HAVE ONE!!!!! anyway got a quick question for any of them fabricators out there, after to taking into consideration some of the tips that have been stated in the thread i am thinking that possibly changing from the rectangular padeyes i currently use on the bumpers, that are welded on both the front and back, my question is that if i were to switch to a shackle mount that had a radius on it and say the base of it was 4" an inch shorter than the tubing i use. would increasing the surface area that it welds to on the face be a way to escape welding it on both the front and back of the tube and just start welding them to the front. i think that have a 4" span welded strictly to the front would be uqually as strong as something 2" wide welded to the front and back. looking for some input on this here question. my Step Dad agrees with me to and he has been a fabricator for 40 plus years. anyway would love to hear all your opinions on this subject. another question that i got for you guys if i were to start welding to just the front what would be a good sized material todo this with, currently i use 1"x2" padeyes, and recently switched to 3/4"x2" (found i could make 10 of them for 90$ less than buying 10 of them from the local 4x4 shop ( think ill stick with the rectangular ones for now till i get set up with an epic plasma but thinking the radius-ed ones will be the best in the long run)

Also another question for any fabricators out there since since soon i want to be set up with a CNC plasma and since i do not own my own plasma cutter yet ( use a local shops machine for free right now) what in everyones opinion is the best machine really leaning towards to the thermal dynamics machine that will cut 1 1/2" and sever 2" but also been looking into Esab's machines ( anything single phase at this point as any 3 phase is out of the question with my current shop. ) haven't done much research in the miller department yet but im fairly certain its between esab and thermal dynamics. would love to hear what you guys think about this decision.

One of the things i did get done this weekend was digging out an old saw from my storage unit, heres some pictures of it. i got it for free from an old local buisness going out of buisness. its an everret industries chop saw set up for cutting aluminum framing for store fronts and what not in commercial buildings i used it to cut steel tho and it worked fine but i would much prefer just my 14" chop saw. plus this saw was 220 so it was kind of a hassle to use it. But i traded it to my step dad for a 4'x8' sheet of quarter inch with a 6"x6" sqaure cut out of one corner and also 3 4'x8' sheets of 11 gauge (1/8") plus i will still be able to use the saw whenever i want so i feel im the big winner, even though the material was free to him from his work, but regardless it was a good score for something i rarely ever use.

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #75
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

As for "face welding" the recovery points.. I would say that most customers look at "thru welding" the clevis mounts on both sides of the bumper as a better design. 90% won't know or care about weld surface, inches of weld...etc. Most have been told that "face welding" is a weaker design that is done to keep costs down... sacrificing strength for profit.

This is just my perspective on it..

I use a Hypertherm 1250 plasma cutter. I've had it about 2 years now and love it. I can use "fine cut" consumables (on the machine torch) to get "near laser-like" quality out of 3/16" and thinner material. I also swap between the hand torch and the machine torch frequently. Takes all of about 30 seconds.

Whichever plasma you go with, make sure it doesn't use a "high frequency" starting arc. Otherwise, it can mess with the computer you use to run the CNC table.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Tags
building bumpers , bumper sales , making bumpers , selling , vendor , vendor account

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.