Help Me decide to become a Vendor please - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help Me decide to become a Vendor please

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #46
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I just cut off the rear 6" of a YJ frame to use for YJ/TJ rear bumpers and a CJ rear crossmember. I also have YJ, TJ and CJ front frame sections that I use for front bumpers. While it is kind of a PITA to juggle around the frame pieces, it's nice to know that I'm using factory pieces to check fit. I've only had a 2-3 fitment issues over the years and those were from the bumpers moving on the jig without me catching it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #47
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I just cut off the rear 6" of a YJ frame to use for YJ/TJ rear bumpers and a CJ rear crossmember. I also have YJ, TJ and CJ front frame sections that I use for front bumpers. While it is kind of a PITA to juggle around the frame pieces, it's nice to know that I'm using factory pieces to check fit. I've only had a 2-3 fitment issues over the years and those were from the bumpers moving on the jig without me catching it.
thats am extremely good idea i dont really know how would work with an XJ though with the hole unibody thing, i guess with a torch and enough patience, and a parts rig i could make it happe, my only concern at this point is space in the shop since its not technically mine haha and i share it with my sted dad
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #48
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be making a jig soon for my front bumpers and it will also have a removable piece for mounting a stinger. I'll post up some pictures after I do. I used to make Jigs for Big Bear Choppers, For the frames and a few other things. The most important thing is having a near perfect part to build it off of.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRoark89 View Post
thats am extremely good idea i dont really know how would work with an XJ though with the hole unibody thing, i guess with a torch and enough patience, and a parts rig i could make it happe, my only concern at this point is space in the shop since its not technically mine haha and i share it with my sted dad
I also picked up a XJ front subframe piece.. the area around the steering box and bumper mounts... I use it for making XJ bumper mounts.

Got a buddy who's also gonna hook me up with an XJ rear clip... probably plasma'd/sawzalled out of the rig prior to sending it to scrap. May just use it to do bumper mounts... or maybe XJ rear bumper/carriers if I ever get some free time to mess with it. If it's too large to carry around, I'll make a set of legs with casters for it so I can wheel it around...

I've also put out "feelers" for JK front/rear frame pieces...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #50
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Just how does one become a Vendor any how?

I looked around and could not find a link or any info.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #51
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Just how does one become a Vendor any how?

I looked around and could not find a link or any info.
How did you become a supporting member? You buy it. Just look at the subscriptions thing where you bought the red membership.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #52
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

DO IT!!

I wonder what shipping would be to NJ though.
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #53
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ya last year when i looked into it was a fixed price for becoming a vendor but i didnt feel i had the experience to be turn out the amount of product with quality, now its another year and i have been under the wing of a master for a while so i am feeling pretty confident. however a small issue has come up that i knew would, a buddy of mine who i split the welder with is getting all butt hurt that im making a little money with, which is why none of my other tools i invested with him once i saw how he was becoming so i am just going to soak up the losses tell him to get bent and pick up a new machine next weekend, hopefully getting a deal from CL or someplace then be back at with a mig instead of the stick ill be using between now and the new machine. either way whatever once this little issue is resolved ill hit the ground running as a vendor, next week ill be in contact with a moderator trying to get a price since its not stated in the thread anymore.

got the rest of the jig built for the rear bumper, will have pics up tomorow and hopefully the rest of the front jig built,

Bersk that would be great if i had the room in my shop for a hole front and rear end of a jeep, unfortunately i dont so the jig is how it will be for now and it havnt decided if it will be on casters or not, or even if i will build a stand for it, may just use it on saw horses so i can set it in the corner when its not in use, plus i think having it on casters would make it a little harder to work on if it has the ability to roll, however my bender is on casters and i havnt had a problem maybe i am over thinking it!

another quick question do i get another JF sticker when i become a vendor since my supporter membership expired haha i have one on my tool box, but the ol jeepster could use one too! just saying haha
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #54
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I looked all over the site and the only thing I can find is for a Premium Membership upgrade or a Lifetime Premium Membership.

I have something way different in mind other than fabrication and it's not Jeep specific.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #55
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I looked all over the site and the only thing I can find is for a Premium Membership upgrade or a Lifetime Premium Membership.

I have something way different in mind other than fabrication and it's not Jeep specific.
Scroll all the way to the top of the page and look above the ad there. You should see advertise here. Click that then.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #56
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

got some more done on the jig today, laid out the holes for the rear bumper mounts as so, making sure it was ever so perfect, haha i actually had a guy argue with me in my math class, that using soap stone was more accurate than using a scribe. what a dope the front is 3/16" and the back is boxed with 1"x1"x .065 to make sure it is flat then capped at the ends with a 1" strip of 3/16" the entire length of the piece is 44"

I layed out the front bumper mounts as best as i could, but were my front bumper mounts has seen better days as far as being towed and tugged from and the numerous times of removing and installing bumpers on it, will cross check my measurements on another xj by buddy has that hasnt had such abuse

on the back side i will us 3"x3"x 1/4" angle to bolt to the bottom of the jig, there will be plates on the bottoms of the angle that coincide with rails in the jig, and those will be spaced apart just as far as a stock jeep so that on the other side i will be able to have a jig for front bumpers as well. will post some more pictures tomorrow.

still open to any other advice on this situation!

thanks guys
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #57
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Looks good.

One thing that I would highly recommend is to leave some room for error in your final product such as slots instead of holes. That will give the end user some room for adjustment if their rig is out of whack.

I made a front bumper for my 93 YJ and used my 89 as a jig only to find out that the front frame horns were not exactly identical and had to enlarge the bolt holes (with a die grinder) for my bumper/winch plate to bolt up.

Knowing this now, when I build any more bumpers I mill a slot out for the mounting holes instead of just drilling them. It allows for quite a bit of side to side adjustment and does not effect the integrity of the mounts.

Just something to keep in mind.
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #58
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly. That is on a frame vehicle too. No two Jeeps are the same, and putting a perfectly fitting part on one may not end up fitting at all on another. Being a unibody XJ, it will have moved some. You will definitely want room.
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #59
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

the holes on the jig are for 3/8" bolts so thats what i will build bumper with originally then when its all done i will drill them to 5/8" thats what i have been doing just using craigslist, and it has seemed to be ok except for one guy but he neglected to tell me the front end of his jeep and hit a power poll, anyway he was pissed and i didnt care because well. what can a guy do at that point. so thats what i will do i will build the hole thing using 3/8" and then at the very end of the build i will drill the to 5/8" which is about a 1/4" smaller than the washers on the stock bolts so it gives people a little bit of play to be able to adjust just how they want but still leaving enough material to be able to work with the stock bolts and not have to do something special.

thanks for the tips again and still looking forward to hearing anyones opinions on the matter.

thanks guys!
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #60
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you're going to oversize the bolt holes, I would suggest building your jig to accomdate the large bolt hole size and just use larger bolts during building. That will allow you to just drill your brackets to the 5/8" size once.. especially if you're doing it on a drill press. Otherwise, I'm assuming you're going to use a hand drill to oversize the 3/8" holes later on?

On my rear bumper jigs, I welded "studs" sticking up thru the jig to drop my mounts on. I just drop the mounting plates in place, center the slotted holes, drop the bumper on the mounts (against stops) and tack the mounts in place. Once I double check everything, I pull the bumper, toss it on the welding table and burn the mounts in.

Another tool that really helped me cut my bumper building time nearly in half was a rotating welding rack. It fits my bumpers both laying on their face and standing up. Basically, I welded a solid spindle to one corner of my welding table. I bored a piece of thickwall tube to slip over the spindle. I then welded a rack to it that the bumper sits in. I slather some grease on the spindle from time to time and forget about it. I can weld one end of the bumper, spin the rack, and then weld the other end... without having to change my position. Weld in a clevis mount, move over and weld the other clevis mount, flip the bumper over and do the other side. The rack holds the bumper at about chest height while I'm sitting on a swivel stool. I kid you not, next to CNC, this is the tool that has knocked the most time off my bumper building.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Tags
building bumpers , bumper sales , making bumpers , selling , vendor , vendor account

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.